HLTV info plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HLTV info plugin

So, some of you have seen me working on this HLTV plugin on the server (so much for intrigue, Rek). It presently displays to HLTV clients the information about a game that HLTV clients can't normally see when they're spectating:

- marine res count
    - each marine's health
    - each marine's armor
    - each marine's ammo

- each alien's res count
    - each alien's health
    - each alien's armor
    - each alien's energy

I use HUD channels (the /rules text, the /res text, etc), so the information isn't displayed "in the game," but at least you can see the data instead of wondering "how much res do they have???" The information is updated twice per second and is always on the screen during gameplay.

In my opinion, watching an 8v8 game on our server in the evenings is DAMN entertaining, as you get this live "stats board" on the left (right now, the text lives in the leftmost third of the screen, not really interfering with the center of the view) and voicecomms from both teams in real time during battles. It's pretty neato.

I have two questions for you guys:

1. Right now, it displays class for each player. Here's the problem with that: a player's class is determinable using the HLTV scoreboard. Should the plugin display class (LIGHT, JETPK, FADE, etc), arguing that having a player's class listed RIGHT NEXT to his health, armor, etc is USEFUL when watching a game. Orrrr... should the plugin NOT display class, arguing that the plugin should put as LITTLE "crap" on the HLTV screen at once, removing from its display anything and everything that is in any way determinable using stock HLTV?

2. A new feature I'm considering for the plugin: a storyboard of sorts. This would display on the lower RIGHT corner of the display (or wherever we decide is coooolest, I guess) and would ... narrate... the server's gameplay events. It would be a top-scrolling list of, say, the last 10 (or 3, or 7, or whatever we decide isn't too obstructive on the screen) events that have occured in the game.

[00:03] Infantry portal dropped
    [00:08] Armory created
    [00:18] Marine Res node created
    [00:52] Gorge lost
    [01:43] Observatory created
    [03:15] Phase tech researched

You get the idea. I'm thinking base units (skulks, lights) dying wouldn't make the storyboard.

So, question 2: is this interesting, or annoying, to have on the screen? It kinda goes to question 1, as, technically, all of this information too is determinable using stock HLTV.

Anyway, share your thoughts. Help me design this HLTV enhancement.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: HLTV info plugin

Can it be configurable with some kind of client setting? "c_hltv_verbosity 5" or something like that?
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Not to my knowledge, as the only client to which I have access from the server is the HLTV proxy itself, not the individual HL clients each connected to it. What I send to the screen of the proxy is forwarded to the screens of the connected HL clients, but the information flow can't work the other way (reading an HL client's variable).

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I sure hope 3.1 doesnt fubar this up.
        USAR

Comment

3.1, if it's like every point release to date, will crush the hopes and dreams of countless plugins on the server.

But fear not... nerds always win the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
            2. A new feature I'm considering for the plugin: a storyboard of sorts. This would display on the lower RIGHT corner of the display (or wherever we decide is coooolest, I guess) and would ... narrate... the server's gameplay events. It would be a top-scrolling list of, say, the last 10 (or 3, or 7, or whatever we decide isn't too obstructive on the screen) events that have occured in the game.

[00:03] Infantry portal dropped
            [00:08] Armory created
            [00:18] Marine Res node created
            [00:52] Gorge lost
            [01:43] Observatory created
            [03:15] Phase tech researched

You get the idea. I'm thinking base units (skulks, lights) dying wouldn't make the storyboard.
            I think it'd be nice to see some end-of-game stats like that. For example, RT peaks- when did the marines have the most RTs during the game (you could do that on each created, if total > max then mark that create as being most res nodes so far). It might be interesting to see the peak for the losing team.

BTW, when a resource tower or gorge is destroyed, can you tell which rt or gorge it was (I assume player you can use the id) to get the total time it was around- might be cool to see how much res it accumulated/spent during that time.

A budget might be cool too (while we are on the concept of neat scoreboards for HLTV). Something like
            Resflow Marine: 45 Alien: 30
            RFK: Marine: 20 Alien: 30
            or even expenditures too, updated once a minute. The resflow for RTs could be calculated pretty easily just based on total number of RTs and with updates when an RT is built or knocked down.

Comment

I always liked the awards plugin, but it went away since it was so individual-based.

I'd like to create something similar in the future, but which is based on teams. Some of those ideas are good candidates for that sort of plugin, which everyone (not just HLTV) would see after the game is over.

I like the income idea (and others you mentioned) for HLTV.

Comment

wyz, I have a semi-abandoned "scrim logger" plugin I was working on for the fft crew. If you'd like to take any code from it, you're more than welcome.

It logs pretty much every game related event. I was going to have it dump to a html file (similar to the dys html stats), but I never really got past logging all the impulses...

I might still finish it if I have time someday.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Comment

as it is, I don't think the HUD scoreboard takes up too much space to warrent removing the classes (as they are convenient, I don't like having to pull up the scores every time I want to check someone's class.)

the resflow, etc would be interesting as long as it didn't obstruct the view too much.

Comment

thank

Comment

Would it be possible to edit it to have an "interactive" experience?

Have a consistent scrolling ticker tape at the bottom of the screen to show when anything has been built, researched or upgraded. As for the list of player classes, could you make them collapsible so if someone wants to see what is going on they can, if you just want to see the game in progress then you can collapse it and just watch.
                      DO AS I COMMAND - Megatron possibly the hardest working commander ever known.

Comment

I got all excited about this working again, then saw 3.1 mentioned, then noticed the date :(

Monty, this thread is for NS1, I don't think HLTV works yet.

Comment

ah, damn... I want to be able to watch games after the fact, Black Ops 2 style where everything gets fast forwarded until big battles start
                          DO AS I COMMAND - Megatron possibly the hardest working commander ever known.

Comment

I can't wait until we have something similar to HLTV for NS2. :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X