Setting topic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting topic

what should the reccomneded setteings be?...
    cl_cmdrate upate and all that good stuff!

THX

do you serve a purpose or do you purposely serve

Re: Setting topic

I'm assuming you're on broadband. Set as follows:

rate 20000
    cl_updaterate (avg fps / 2)
    cl_cmdrate (avg fps)

So, I typically run at 100fps, so mine are set as follows:

rate 20000
    cl_updaterate 50
    cl_cmdrate 100
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Wyz, if my average FPS is 72 and I have a 291 k according to toast.net,
      rate 20000
      cl_updaterate 36
      cl_cmdrate 72
      Would be good to enter into NS console? Currently everything is default.
      :)

Comment

right on maybe we should set up a sticky info for this. and mention to members to look on forums so that they do not ned to wait for a admin , and they can fix for themselves!

thank you very much

do you serve a purpose or do you purposely serve

Comment

Originally posted by Karkianman101
          Wyz, if my average FPS is 72 and I have a 291 k according to toast.net,
          rate 20000
          cl_updaterate 36
          cl_cmdrate 72
          Would be good to enter into NS console? Currently everything is default.
          That seems good, yes.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

You were supposed to copy and paste your other reply from the CS:S section. :(

Comment

Originally posted by Karkianman101
              You were supposed to copy and paste your other reply from the CS:S section. :(
              Given my understanding, those settings would be great.

Steam Community: | |

Comment

Another suggestion is to lock your FPS at a lower number than the average. For example my home computer is locked at 72 FPS (fps_max 72), and I base my update/cmdrate off of that as wyz suggested. The idea is to use a number your computer can easily stay at all of the time, even in heavy combat. Also remember that the server itself can set a cmd/update/rate lock that is lower than your own client settings. If you run into issues, this is usually the cause. Try lowering all of your rates to compensate until you stop getting choke (net_graph 3).

Comment

Originally posted by TheAdj`
                  Another suggestion is to lock your FPS at a lower number than the average. For example my home computer is locked at 72 FPS (fps_max 72), and I base my update/cmdrate off of that as wyz suggested. The idea is to use a number your computer can easily stay at all of the time, even in heavy combat. Also remember that the server itself can set a cmd/update/rate lock that is lower than your own client settings. If you run into issues, this is usually the cause. Try lowering all of your rates to compensate until you stop getting choke (net_graph 3).
                  Another idea.... bow before Adj.

Welcome back, sir, however brief your visit may be. :)
                  [volun2]
                  NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                  Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                  <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                  <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Aye, tis nice to use the internet and speak to people that live in reality. It won't be a brief visit, however :P We bought a commercial internet satellite dish, so I have access on my own computer now, so I'll be around, albeit in forum format until April or so. I'll be around sometime in January as well, my leave is then. I'll put my time to good use by trolling this forum and answering questions as I can.

Comment

Another point to remember--higher is better, yes, but beyond a certain point the extra benefit you get is so small as too be almost unnoticeable.

If I recall, the default cmdrate and updaterate are only 20, which is really too low. But as soon as you reach 30-40, you're in pretty good shape. Sure, you could set your command rate up to 100, but given human reaction times of around 1/15 of a second, and lag at around 1/30 of a second even for the best connections, how often is that 1/100 of a second going to matter?

Then again, I could be totally wrong. =P

Comment

I say this based on consistent observation, not any intimate knowledge of HL (actually, that goes for most advice I give on how to configure a client):

Many (not all) crackly voicecomm problems are solved by raising cl_cmdrate to 100. It allows your client to send more data when you speak, thus remedying the crackling, which is data loss.

Comment

Is my voicecom crackly? I have my rates set to 40.

Also, don't these things interact with some other more obscure rates like ex_interp?

Comment

I'm sure it's more complicated than I make it out to be. I can't speak to your voicecomm quality.

Comment

ex_interp does indeed interact with updaterate. If set to 1, I believe it automatically corrects itself according to updaterate, or it can be set manually. There are a couple of other more obscure settings as well (cl_resend, etc) that aren't as critical to smooth operation on most computers.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X