Random Mining

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Mining

I recall doing this a version ago when we were playing captains, the comm dropped mines and we placed them wherever we wanted. Surprisingly the aliens hit the mines very often netting us enough RFK that it was like we had another RT.

Discuss this(nuff said).

Re: Random Mining

I used this just last night. I didn't even realize I had the mines until I was in the field, so I placed them under the legs of res nodes, hidden.

I don't recall seeing them cause damage to aliens, but I'm assuming they did.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I do that from time to time. It's fun because aliens don't expect a mine to be in that place or on that wall, so they aren't looking as closely as they would if they were rushing base. It's just fun to see the "Why was that mine there?" response.
      --------

Zephyr: Besides Wyzcrak and his godly voice; the kind of voice that you will expect to say "Zephyr, I need you to build an ark at Marine Start, with room for two of every structure so that I may turret spam for 40 days and 40 nights" that is.

Squeak:Sometimes I'm awed by zibs genius. Then I remember he's Canadian and I feel significantly less threatened.

Comment

Originally posted by Terror
        Surprisingly the aliens hit the mines very often netting us enough RFK that it was like we had another RT.
        Lets do some math. A pack of mines costs 10 res, and gives 4 mines. That means each mine costs 2.5 res.

Each kill gives either 1, 2, or 3 rfk randomly. Average RFK is 2, which is not enough to pay for a 2.5 res mine.

So even if every mine you place kills a skulk, you're still losing money on them. Mines will never act as income for you.

That said, if they even just come close to paying for themselves, its still a pretty good deal in terms of map control. For effectively 1/2 a res point, you've just blown a random skulk clear across the map and back into the spawn queue. Obviously this is more effective when done farther away from the alien hive, and not nearly as effective once aliens have 2 hives and the spawn queue isn't as important anymore. But near the beginning of the game, it can be a cheap and annoying way of securing map control.

Comment

As stated before putting mines under the base of a res node can be a good tactic, the mine is in a common spot a skulk might go; it can help a marine because the skulk cant hide in the node with a mine.

I have very rarely used this tactic becuase I almost always think mining phasegates, tf, or marine base is more important use of a mine.

Comment

I would actually like to see a game where map control (meaning, 2 hives) and the first 8 minutes of the game where mine and grenade dependent. Instead of an electrification strat you laid mines down and used grenades to secure rts. Id also like to see if two hives can be effectively controlled with res control and mines long enough to have accumulated enough res to counter a hive rush.
            USAR

Comment

"That sounds like an interesting plan, to say the least. I'd like to see that tried."

"Personally, I can't help think about how I place my mines unless we're being rushed. I ussually like shadowy spots and around the insides of turns (as aliens always seem to love to cut those corners tight)."

"The only thing that annoys me is I saw this one Kharaa last night eating my mines." <<;;; "Of course, the mines started to make a nice bait until he started just aiming for me, but that's a different story."

Comment

Originally posted by squeak
                I would actually like to see a game where map control (meaning, 2 hives) and the first 8 minutes of the game where mine and grenade dependent. Instead of an electrification strat you laid mines down and used grenades to secure rts. Id also like to see if two hives can be effectively controlled with res control and mines long enough to have accumulated enough res to counter a hive rush.
                The only problem with this is nades blow up mines.

Comment

Well, then one would just have to be careful.

Comment

And if everyone else on the team is careful...

I think mine placement away from buildings and MS could be useful, and more so if it wasn't "random" so to speak. If you place mines out around the map in places you think an alien would land in the hallways leading up to MS or a res node it would be much less expected while handling the same problem. It can be hard to tell if an alien is going to land on it or not but aliens don't always fall for the mines planted on structures either.

In general I think placing mines well is more important than just having mines. Whether you place them well in a corridor, vent, or near an important building knowing what spots work and what spots don't will help.

A mine that goes the whole game without hurting an alien is a sad mine.

Comment

Originally posted by The Machine GoD
                      The only problem with this is nades blow up mines.

The real problem with this is that gorges eat mines for breakfast.

No, I'm serious. It's freaky.

"Who put the fun in dysfunctional? I." - Aesop Rock

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X