Hard push early alien offence idea.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard push early alien offence idea.

Now, I think of TANITH when I was screwing around with this strat in mind.

Full game, 8 vs 8. What if aliens can secure map control by pushing hard on marine start, without really pushing on marine start? What if we dropped our first two MCs outside MS/Easy MS siege range, had 2 - 3 skulks (our fade/hive skulks) sitting guarding 2 gorges. Their primary mission is for hard offence and map control.

Theory:
    The gorges are there to heal and to soak up damage. Early on in the game lvl 0 weapons aren't a REAL threat, and grenades don't come THAT fast if you can keep your heads about you. The skulks are there to finish off the marines, soaking up RFK, and the gorges are there to take a beating.

The rest of the alien team is capping and chewing down marine nodes. If you can effectively push the marines back to their start, and deny them an area of the map then you've pretty much claimed victory. Your forces don't have to spread out nearly as much, and you can focus on resource management and offensive tactics.

Now, this is certainly not a permanent push. You are probably going to lose those MCs once grenades and a few shotguns are pushed out of base, but the time you are keeping those marines busy on YOU, and not on your res nodes and not on building their own you are making a huge impact. The thought behind this is that you've effectively "stopped" marine expansion to a point where you have a fade and a second hive cooking when they start getting weapons 1 or armor 1, because they've spent so much resources and time dealing with that first offensive push.
    USAR

Re: Hard push early alien offence idea.

I picture one installation at the sat weldable. That's the right side.

But where's your bottleneck w/ corners on the left? Where Central Access Tunnels meets the hallway running from Reactor Room to Cargo? That's not aggressive enough, is it?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I think time will be your enemy in getting up there in the first place, enough marines will have moved out that you will be between them and MS. You will have to be prepared to fight from both sides until you finish them off, and if you arn't careful they might get a couple rts up. If you manage to finish off the outside marines getting a couple skulks to hit the rts shouldn't be too hard as long as the marines don't get past the mcs/gorges.

Unless the hive is waste aliens might not be able to move back out fast enough for a second wave to be effective.

It may be effective enough at delaying them for the time you would like, I'm just wondering if it would be just as effective without the mcs out there where they will be shot down. Maybe if you can get 3 early in the hive, have one gorge stay and build them, while the other two and a bunch of skulks charge out... Then again gorges function better with structures to hide behind, and it would also serve to get aliens to rally around a point instead of just charging in.

Well it would be interesting to see, and if someone suggested just what you said on the server when I was on I would be game for trying it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
        I picture one installation at the sat weldable. That's the right side.

But where's your bottleneck w/ corners on the left? Where Central Access Tunnels meets the hallway running from Reactor Room to Cargo? That's not aggressive enough, is it?
        You are more securing an area over just a single bottleneck, and knowing more marines if they see gorges sitting there they get eboners and start pumping lead (kind of like a fly to a light). Its possible to secure waste side, as long as the vent to double stays open (this is quick offensive movement and healing up front, as opposed to moving back to hive for healing and losing time and map control). Does this need hella teamwork: You betcha. Could this be extremely effective in deterring early marine expansion: Dunno. Its the thought that marines split up during the first few seconds of the game, giving you critical time and manpower advantages to set up and secure an area.

Mind you I'm typing this reply at 4 AM, I don't really know how coherent it is...
        USAR

Comment

This reminds me of a classic "forward build" in a RTS game. The main point is to lower the focus of your troops to fewer areas. Since the alien team resembles a defensive/raid type of army, this type of build is very risky, but can have some serious payback.

The benefits:
          1: If the OC/MCs are built correctly, one gorge and one skulk should be able to slow or effectively diffuse most pushes into the area without the help of our 'raider' skulks. Skulk defending the fort are not to allow the enemies to know their location until the marines have committed to the room. Situations that cannot be handled or diffused by the 2-alien team include 3 or more marines plus perhaps a shotgun, and should be responded to as very urgent threats to the alien wellbeing. If the whole alien team treats this room like a top-level asset, the game should be much, much easier for aliens.

2: Frees up for raiding. Marines will be left with 2 choices. Spend effort, time, and resources on destroying your forward build, or simply going around. Aliens must learn to recognize the signs. If marines continuously come back to the forward build with 3-5 marines at a time, add an OC and a skulk. At this point you have the majority of the marines dedicated to stopping your forward base, meanwhile your 4-5 skulks/fades should be ruthlessly overtaking their 3 rt ninjas. If the marines decide to abandon their move on your forward build, exploit possible weaknesses to their base, hopefully causing them to beacon, and lose map control. Otherwise, consider flanking their RT operation, but **DO NOT SIMPLY CHASE THE MARINES AROUND FROM RT TO RT, THEY BUILD FASTER THAN SKULKS BITE, AND ARE MAKING A UNIFIED FRONT TOWARDS YOUR HIVE'S FLANK (AWAY FROM YOUR BUILD)** Constant communication (and lets be honest, what alien team has a chance without it) is used, this strat has serious merit.

The weaknesses:
          This strategy really requires more teamwork than usual. We've all been there when you're sittin around gorging up a room, feeling great, and knowing that no marines could possibly slip by your inpenetrable fortress (wahahahha). When suddenly you hear Our hive is under attack! and look up to see huge chunks of your hive dissappearing from the bar. This basically is what happens when aliens get too agressive, as a team. With this strategy, perhaps more than most, it is very easy to find yourself with a turret factory pumping full time on your starting hive before you had any inkling of it.

I also think that this strategy requires a lot of very descreet skulks. Too many gorges or too much marine progress + this strat = teh lose.

"Who put the fun in dysfunctional? I." - Aesop Rock

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X