Armory Diversion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armory Diversion

I saw something in a game we just played that was clever and thought I'd post it here. The comm (Shroud) built an an armory in a place out of the way (still in base) that was hidden primarily by the comm chair and upgraded that armory. The aliens took down the non-upgraded armory but never saw the advanced armory.

Good use of misdirection :).

Re: Armory Diversion

If there are two armories, hidden or not, and the aliens don't know which is which it can be hard for them to effectively target that building. Hiding one may serve to slow them down even more.

I would say though, I would hope the aliens would notice which they were killing. Advanced armories have much more health, and as such the bars go down more slowly. Is there any difference in the model for an advanced armory?

Comment

I was playing in this game tonight and it seemed to work pretty well. Although I wouldn't bet on it being a good strategy all the time. The first thing I look for in the base is if there as an armory, and if its advanced.

You can tell the difference between them here:

Keep in mind it can also be very annoying to marines if you kill a structure WHILE its upgrading. Not only will they lose the structure, they will lose all the money they spent on the current upgrade. That's why if your looking for a good structure to attack in their base, look for a "bouncing" arms lab\armory\obs so you'll know its upgrading something.

Killing an upgrading AA is a pretty big blow to marines for time, seeing as how that's 90 res down the drain (the cost of losing the AA, and upgrade... then rebuilding and researching it again), and a couple of minutes longer needed to get heavy weps\proto, and that's if they have enough spare res to get it in a reasonable amount of time.

The fake AA works sometimes, but most veteran aliens probably won't fall for it. The AA under attack can usually be solved by noticing when stuff is under attack in your base. I usually make the armory a hot-group so it flashes red if its under attack, although motion tracking is a dream for tracking enemies coming into your base and getting your marines there to respond more quickly. Its usually a common target for fades when your assaulting a hive and distracted.

To make your AA less vunerable, put it in an area of your base where they will have to be out in the open with their back to where all the marines would be coming from.
      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Aero, in all my years of playing ns (and, well, that's from the VERY beginning) I have NEVER noticed the difference between an upgraded and non upgraded armory. I feel like a fool!
        USAR

Comment

Cool, I got mentioned. Thanks Pojo.
          I am a n00b. If I beat you, it must be a mistake.

Comment

Thanks for the screenshots, aero.

Thanks for the thread/point, pojo.

Thanks for the idea, Shroud.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X