Silence!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silence!

Take off your headphones for a moment. Can you hear that? Yes it's the quiet humming of your computer, and maybe your parents yelling in the next room. Can you tell at night when someone is walking through your house? Maybe you can recall being up past your bed time, and you would quickly turn out your light when you could hear footsteps or doors in your house. Imagine how often your parents would catch you being up too late if you had no warning.

I think silence is not used nearly enough in both classic and combat NS.

Now as all you other Karaa brothers and sisters of mine may know, a skulk running down a hallway or through a vent can draw the attention of marines he may not even know are there. This can act almost as an early motion tracking for marines. You get both the distance and the direction based on the sound. Movement chambers being as popular as they are, aliens usually have access to silence long before marines get motion tracking.

Many people don't realize how mind bogglingly good silence can be for skulks.

For skulks who get three movement chambers, the almost automatic choice is to get celerity, so lets compare silence with celerity, and maybe you will learn something new about them both.

A skulk with celerity early in the game will be able to move long distances across the map faster than a silence alien. If you want to cap a res node on the other side of the map, or attack an area that just can't wait an extra two seconds, you might want to get celerity. If all the marines were gone from the map, the celerity skulk would have an indesputable advantage. But marines start to complicate the equasion.

Celerity will let you close the gap between you and a marine as fast as possible. The larger this gap is, the more celerity will be helping you close it, but the less your chances of surviving in the first place are. All too often I see skulks get a little cocky once they get level 3 celerity, and they think they can charge down the hallway at a marine. Sadly this doesn't often help as much as it seems like it might. It depends on the size of the hallway, and your own ability to move in an unpredictable pattern so as not to get "pumped full of lead" as they down in the boiler rooms. If you find yourself waiting just outside the doorway, you have to ask yourself "Why don't I have silence?"

Celerity may mean you can move faster, but as soon as you want to be quiet you can kiss that all goodbye. You want to make a silent entrance into a room? Well watch all that time you saved by getting celerity melt away as you hold down your walk key and slowly move in. If you have silence, you can run as fast as you can any time and anywhere and the marines won't know the difference until they see you or they feel your anxious teeth sink in.

Whats that you say? The marines just got motion tracking? Well that can be a big problem. The marines will now be able to tell which doorway you are coming through regardless of how much noise you make as long as they are looking in your direction. But silence is still far from useless! I havn't even touched on the most important aspect of silence yet!

Silence is great for fighting marines once the gap has already been closed! When your running all around that poor slab of skulk chow, the range of vison he will have of you is greatly decreased if he doesn't manage to keep you in the screen the whole time. Alot of people don't realize how much marines use the sound of a skulk biting to locate them in mid combat. That meat bag thinks he is so smart by jumping over you when you run at him, but he turns around and you aren't there! Before he knows it you sink your teeth into his nice and soft hind end. Leap is much more effective that celerity in the short distances at closing the gap, and also helping you flee. When a celerity skulk leaps, he shouts "look at me, i'm moving fast" And it's this uncontrollable reflex that makes their location blindingly obvious, like an onos in a strawberry patch (without his hooves painted red of course, then it's anyone's guess).

This makes silence quite possibly the skulk's best defence against heavies. If you are fighting these walking sardine cans, they probably have some big guns to go with all this stuff they got protecting thier soft chewy center. Trying to both close the distance, and run away without dieing is probably a long shot. So once you close the distance the first time, your probably going to be staying close until one of the two of you dies. Why not take advantage of this long period of time being in close quarters to have silence. It will help you a heck of alot more than celerity, and could very well be the tin can's demise.

Now please, all I'm asking is... stop making noise... I'm trying to sleep.

Re: Silence!

Silence is huge. As a marine, a crazy huge amount of the in-battle intel I gather about you is the noise you're making (nevermind during the rest of the game). You take that from me, and I'm struggling to follow you in a fight.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Excellent post, and good writing as well. It's so refreshing to read posts that are well thought-out and communicated.

Comment

Originally posted by Rampage
        Excellent post, and good writing as well. It's so refreshing to read posts that are well thought-out and communicated.
        Totally agreed. +rep!

Comment

it is rare for me not to use Silence..... and it bugs me when 1/2 or more the team is Silence and you got one person bunnyhopping or w/e they do when ur sneaking around and u get killed for it....

do you serve a purpose or do you purposely serve

Comment

Silence is obviously superior to celerity in my opinion
            and motion tracking doesnt see the behind so be free to be silent and BAM
            sink the bites in the marines rear end

Comment

sting,

Welcome to the forums! :)

Be sure to read the TG Required Reading, atop the forum index, including any NS-specific rules/announcements. You've found a server which prides itself on teamwork, respect, and really, really great games. This required reading will help you understand what drives this community.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by sting
                Silence is obviously superior to celerity in my opinion
                and motion tracking doesnt see the behind so be free to be silent and BAM
                sink the bites in the marines rear end
                Partially correct. When using the minimap available in the upper right and the map available to bind in the options menu, the red dots signify moving aliens or aliens and their structures in the range of a observatory, ping, or visible by other players (usually seeing an icon that shows what the structure/alien actually is for visible sight range to other players).

Comment

If silence allows you to sneak up behind ME when *I* have motion tracking, it's because *my* discipline slipped, not because *your* upgrade made it possible.

I run with that map up. All you are is a red dot closing on my six, silent or not. More times than not, I'm merely waiting for you to make the gap as long as *I* want it to be.

Then I turn around, and, to quote you, BAM.

You're silent.... and spectating.

Comment

Heh, thought this would be a discussion on the values of being quiet on the server - both voice spam and typed discussion. Silence the upgrade is amazing, especially in close combat. Most people don't realize how much they use thier ears to detect the movement of a biting skulk.

As far as voice spam, I think even helpful hints (Comm get armor2) are spam. Competent comms work as best they can, moving just as much as the marine. Thats a rant for another thread though.

Recap: Silence pwns, don't dismiss it's value nor its effectiveness as a marine. Now of course marines will be even more paranoid so people will talk about how awesome cloaking is, then marines will start getting early motion so they will say how awesome celerity is, and then marines will .... etc.

<3 this game.

Comment

Silence is great in close combat, the moment you can get out of that marines line-of-sight and make him try to guess which side your on. However, at hive 1, it is often hard to live long enough to reach that point without celerity. Especially facing certain marines who know how to bunny hop backwards about as fast as a non-celerity skulk can run forwards, its hard to hit them at all with silence if you didn't completely surprise them.

Therefore, I suggest that silence is actually best as a Hive 2 upgrade, when you can combine it with Leap to get sneakyness AND speed. If the marines don't have MT yet, now you can sneak up on them really easily, and even if they do have MT you can still reap the benefits of confusing them in close combat. At Hive 1 I'll usually still get Celerity.

Comment

It should be noted, that due to the amount most aliens spread out, expecially early in the game, a team with celerity will have a faster response time when an area needs backup. Then again, a larger factor on the response time tends to be the person responding (half the time it feels like no one is coming anyway).

Sometimes you have no choice but to run a good distance at a marine. If they are camping/building in a long hallway or they are close to the hive and have sealed off all the exits and know where you will be coming from, celerity might be your best bet to get in there. If the marine spotted you in time to be bhopping backwards, you have already lost half your advantage. Most marines won't even notice immediately they have been bit after this first silence one. It takes a little longer to regester, and it increases the chance of getting in bite #2 before you take any fire yourself. If he sees you bite him, he is already shooting at you, and as long as you are on his screen you aren't getting the most out of your upgrade. Leap does make an excelent pair with this, as you can almost always vanish from his screen if you use it right.

A big factor that plays in my decision to get an upgrade is the map that I'm playing on. You get a feel for where you tend to engauge marines, and how fast your travel time is. On larger maps I am more likely to get celerity. Also on maps where long hallways are fairly common, and I expect to be fighting marines in said hallways.

I forget what the name of the map is that has Powersilo and Viaduct hives but if you look at that map, it's very large and has a number of hallways. If you get silence on that map you will have to be sure you can play to your strengths. You will want to find an area that has fairly close quarters to camp around there, and also make sure from this location you can get to an area that may need help fast enough (or that there are enough other people who can respond quickly).

One of the nice things about the chambers is that everyone doesn't have to get the same upgrades. If half the team for celerity and half got silence, then you would have a number of players able to respond quickly and attack areas, and a few doing sneaky, more defencive type fighting. With silence, I don't often decide to just "run around the map" and look for things, but having scouts can be very valuable. Not to say that you can't, you still have to weigh the value of speed and chance of detection, but I personally prefer celerity for scouting.

Comment

in co i get silence then sent of fear.....i am more sucessful that way...but i am still a noob too

do you serve a purpose or do you purposely serve

Comment

Originally posted by Rampage

Werd up. Dat b wut tru.

"Who put the fun in dysfunctional? I." - Aesop Rock

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Comment

I think I have just discovered my favorite reason to get silence.

How many times have you been munching down an rt when suddenly a marine caps 5 bullets in your butt from a pistol? It can be very hard to hear over the sound of your own bite when you are doing it constantly, but with silence all you hear is the little scraping sound of the metal and you can ususally hear any marines that might be coming your way.

It may not give you the element of surprise, but if you move well you might be able to force the marine to close the distance for you, and we already know silence is good for those fights once your close in.

So even though for rt munching celerity will get you around to the different rts faster, you probably spend the bulk of your time sitting there making noise and leaving yourself with one less way to detect incoming marines.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X