Dropping your gun mid-combat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropping your gun mid-combat

Here's the situation: A silent skulk just lept by, killing your teammate in the process. Your guns are empty from killing another alien a few seconds ago. The skulk turns towards you and intends to make you its next victim. What do you do?

Drop your LMG.

Pick up your teammate's gun.

Chances are you're not going to kill it with your knife (unless that skulk is me :P ) or reload in time. Your teammate's gun still probably has some ammo left. So why not use it?

Re: Dropping your gun mid-combat

Neato. I've trained myself to cross the path of dead teammates in order to get their ammo, but it never occured to me to trade the weapon itself.

If I drop my gun such that it lands beyond the gun I'm about to pick up, I guess I pick up my old gun's ammo the moment after I pick up my dead teammate's gun, leaving me with the most ammo I can get from the deal and SOME of it ready to fire?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Well if the issue is not having time to reload yet, you wouldn't have to worry about grabbing the ammo from your gun until after you fired off the shots from the new one. (by which point you probably killed the skulk or died)

I did something similar once with two shotguns that I was trying to recycle while holding an area waiting for backup. I kept them both reloaded, and then would stand on or near one, so if I used all 8 shots I could quickly switch and surprise them with 8 more. I imagine it would be harder to keep track where everything is in the middle of the fight. I had the advantage of placing the gun where I wanted it before hand.

It would be funny watching a marine move a spare lmg around. You could keep recycling it. The downside would be the noise, and the slower response time.

Comment

Actually, that's a damn good idea. How often has a skilled alien defeated me after a planned, calculated assault driven in part by his predicting when I'd reload? If you could manage two guns just long enough to give him a fire pattern other than he expected, it could be enough to cost the alien handsomely.
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I have done this many times. It works especially well agaisnt a fade and having a hmg. The fade thinks that you are reloading comes back and you pick the hmg your fellow commrade dropped when he died and destroy the unsuspecting fade.

Comment

I have actually done this before too.

The problem I frequently have is that I only get my teammate's gun, not his ability to aim.

Comment

Originally posted by rs_al
              The problem I frequently have is that I only get my teammate's gun, not his ability to aim.
              Seeing as your teammate is already dead, that's a good thing.

Comment

I don't know why the teammate being dead thing made me think of this, but I just thought it would be so funny (and bad, and not exactly teamwork oriented) if you emptied an hmg or shotty, the fade or whatever still isn't dead, so you quickly toss the empty weapon on your teammate, forcing him to drop his lmg, and allowing you to use the remainder of his clip without reloading.

Neither the alien or your teammate would see it coming.

The further thought occured in the "transferring aim" that someone could have another marine follow them around carrying an extra weapon for them, and reloading. You have your lmg, the "gun caddy" carries another for you, when you need it reloaded instead of wasting precious time of your ability to aim, you toss it for the other person, who gives you the loaded one, and reloads the old one for you.

I'm not suggesting any of this actually be done, I just think it would be funny to see. It's like having a guy run around carrying the sword of a knight because the knight can't be bothered to hold it all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by rs_al
                  I have actually done this before too.

I have tried this on many occasions, and my luck withholding, end up with 0-8 bullets from his/her lmg every single time.

Also, I played a round where a marine took his gun and a spare from ms allll the way to smelter hive on ns_metal by just recycling the gun. The truth is, we were in a large group, so the noise didn't give us away, but I was instantly annoyed. I could just scowl at the screen as I heard him explain 'ever have 100 lmg bullets?' The drawback of appearing to be a complete jerk totally outweigh the small benefits (of carrying 2 lmgs).

However, I do think that this is a good point, more marines should play around with the gun-throwing ability in this game. You can throw a hmg across a gap or up to a teammate (to allow longer jumps) or if he's in an ideal position to fire into a vent or something like that.

"Who put the fun in dysfunctional? I." - Aesop Rock

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X