Guide to Gorging

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guide to Gorging

Many of you may have gorged at one point or another since you first hatched, and no I'm not talking about eating more than the recommended 2 marines per meal, I would suggest weight watchers if that is a consistent problem of yours. As a gorge you find yourself a bit bigger than a skulk, but without many abilities that may help you fight marines. I would like to give some pointers to make sure your gorge experience is a good one. There are many things to cover, so I am going to break this up into sectons.

The first thing you have to consider, is what do you want to achieve as a gorge. Some gorges are just going to quickly drop a structure, and change back into a skulk. Maybe you are going to go around the map and drop a number of structures in different locations, or a number of structures in a specific location (sometimes called laming up an area). Maybe you are going to be a gorge for the rest of your life, spreading love and biomatter everywhere you go. Whatever your goal, you need to be prepared for what you will encounter. Feel free to skip around and read the secontion only on the type of gorge you plan on being.

Quick structure placement gorge:

By far the most commonly seen use of a gorge. The skulk gestates near an rt node, plops down an rt, builds it, gestates back. When doing this, something to consider is the likelyhood a marine will come by before you finish building. If you are at c-12 node straight up from pipeline, you might encounter some marines. Check your minimap and see if there are skulks between you and the area the marines will probably be coming from.

If you expect marines to come, you may want to spend the extra seconds to get adrenaline if it's available. A gorge with adrenaline and an RT against one marine stands a good chance of surviving at least long enough for some people to respond, and possibly even well enough to kill the marine. The key to this is to hide behind the rt, healspray it and yoruself when your take damage. You can spit the marine if he is keeping distance, or try to healspray him if he gets close. Something you have to pay attention to is if the commander is dropping this marine medpacks. If you hear a number of medpacks come in, healspraying the marine is no longer a viable option. Spit will give you the rate of fire you need to make all those medpacks go to waste. Since a marine standing on a pile of medpacks will automatically grab one once his health goes below 100, hitting him three times for 10 damage each in rapid succession will make him use up 3 medpacks he is standing on. If you have used up all yoru adrenaline, and your rate of fire has decreased, you may even want to wait a moment for it to refill. A marine can knife you to death faster than you can heal, so it's in your best interest to get rid of his spare medpacks as soon as possible. Regen is more likely to help you in a long battle with one marine than carapace, carapace will buy you between 100 and 150 extra damage. I would gauge the choice on what weapons the marines are likely to have. If they have shotguns you are pretty much screwed either way. Level 0 lmg, regen may be better. level 3 lmg I would probably lean toward carapace. It's rare that you will have dc upgrades to think about in this scenario, you will have to figure out what works best for you.

If you are fairly confident there will be no marines, you may as well not spend the time getting upgrades.

For dropping a hive, you will probably want to guard it so you can spit it when people need to movement over. This can be a boring job, but it is very valuable to the team. I recommend finding a hiding place. Spend some res on a movement chamber for the life forms that may need to get back, or you need to become a healing station (the extra adren helps alot) and anything else you might be able to use, like DCs, Sensories. OCs probably won't be needed, but if you just have resources coming out the wazoo, it probably won't hurt.

Gorge of Lame:

If you intend on building up a specific area to fend off or slow down marines, the first question you need to answer is if you are going to hang around and defend the area with your chambers. As nice as it would sound to have a room come alive with pulsing biomatter that can eat up marines and regenerate itself without any help, realistically this doesn't happen. Even the best setups left unattended will eventually fall. You have to decide if this is a place that needs a gorge to keep it up, or if it will serve it's purpose with only the random aliens passing through to help.

If you are setting up an area to live and work on it's own, the way you can expect it to effect gameplay is it will slow down the progress of one or two marines that try to move through the area long enough for someone to respond and probably save the structures, but any more than that and you are bound to lose at least one, and probably more unless help is already in the area. 5 marines can make quick work of a lamed up room left unattended. The only information you will gain of value is "the marines have just killed the ocs in _____. They are probably now moving through that area." In a room like station access, just off of the generator hive, this translates into "there is a phasegate or shotgun rush in progress on generator hive"

If we use station access as an example, laming up the area could effectively deter the random ninja phasegate that might otherwise occur, and give the team a little bit more notice on any rushes or coordinated attempts at assault on the hive. In general, when laming a room instead of a hallway, you want to spread out the ocs, higher ground can be preferable, and have some in the room that cover only parts of the room but won't be noticed until the marine enters further (preferably attacking them from behind). Any marines that attempt to run through should quickly find themselves surrounded, and systematic destruction of each oc should require finding a number of positions where they have cover from the oc. If you have all your ocs in a pile, then the marine only has to aviod line of sight from the ocs in that small area. The only time to consider putting multiple ocs very close to each other are hallways, and when dcs are present.

For this type of gorge you will probably want to get celerity. You are only going to be around until your lame is finished building, and if marines attack while you are building you want to either run to an area where your lame covers you, or run away all together and wait for the team to clear it out. That 10 res could be another chamber, you don't want to spend it on becoming another gorge. It will also help you get around the room faster for getting the lame set up more hastily. Don't foget to use defence and sensory chambers when possible.

If you are going to guard your lame, protect it, give it your time, attention, and love adrenaline is probably the upgrade for you. It depends alot on the space. Consider the likelyhood that you will have time to run (while healspraying yourself of course) and get behind your offence chambers. If it's a large area that has multple entrances you need to worry about, you might want to consider celerity, but adrenaline is far better for once you are in position behind some offence chambers.

You will want to create at least one, but prefarably two places you can sit in relative protection of at least two offence chambers. The offence chambers can take more damage than you, you need to use them as your shield, and keep them alive with your love mist. Having some chambers spread out around the rest of the room will give you more time to get to a safe place. Defence chambers and sensories are just as helpful here as in the other example, but here you get to take advantage of them too. Carapace will give you extra time to get to your nest, and the DCs will give you all the regen you need. Focus is the only sensory upgrade that will make an impact on you while you still have sensory chambers in the room. Since this changes the way you fight with spit, it's really more up to what you are comfortable with. I usually get SoF incase I decide to roam around after the room no longer needs to be defended as heavily, but I will get into roaming gorge strategy later. One thing you should never forget is to put a movement chamber or two near your nest. This will keep your healspray going constantly by refilling your health, and give higher lifeforms a way to escape if they need to (it can be hard for an onos to navigate over lots of lame). If you have adrenaline you won't need more than one MC per nest (except for a backup)

Keep in mind that you will still need help from your teammates, tell them you are under attack. Your promary job is to hold them off (which if they don't have great weapons you can typically do for a very long time). Also you can redrop anything they destroy if you have the res. if they kill one of your OC shields, redrop it. Even if it doesn't get rebuilt, it will take damage for you.

The Wanderer:

Ok, so you want to roam the lands, go places, see things, hunt buffalo (we all need a dream). maybe you are creating a sensory network, or putting ocs in random hallways to deter jetpackers. Maybe you are going to permagorge, and go wherever you are needed.

First question is are you going to have other aliens with you. You need to pick out some upgrades, and this makes a big difference. If you are going to be spending most of your time around other bigger life forms (following the onos, building up the front line, attacking a seige site) you will probably want adrenaline over celerity. You will not need to run away as much, and they may rely on you for healing. If you are going out on your own (sensory network, hunting buffalo) celerity will probably be the best bet. It is unlikely you will win a fight with a marine in the middle of nowhere, running is the best way to go. The extra speed you get should make you able to outrun the marines and get around the map faster to put that sensory network up. I would also recommend SoF, so you can see the marines coming, and aviod conflict sooner. Cloaking might also help you though if you are good at hiding and they aren't using scan alot.

If you are attacking a seige (bile bomb) I would recommend SoF, and either carapace or redemption (redemption is usually my preference) You won't last long against those marines by yourself, and most of them will be bent on killing you. You will rely alot on your team to help you, and need to run often. Priority for destruction is Turret factory first if sieges are firing, or phase gate first if the seiges aren't up yet and the hive is at full health. Of course you may have to settle for the target you can hit.

As a permagorge you may be doing any combination of these things. I usually go for celerity instead of adrenaline just so I can travel alone if I have to. If some life forms are going to be in the area a while, I build a movement so I can get the adren I need in order to heal. SoF or cloaking can work. I prefer SoF, but if you are willing to move slowly you can aviod detection by motion tracking. Cara, regen or redemption, it's up to you and what you plan on doing. Regen doesn't do much once marines have weapon upgrades or better weapons. I usually get carapace if res is abundant enough to afford going gorge again if I die.

Hunting buffalo, while a very fun activity for gorges, has also resulted in many accidenal deaths. Celerity is recommended both for catching up to them once they start to run, and getting out of the way in the event they try to trample you. Even though you can smell thier fear from much farther than the the distance for the average marine, the buffalo tend to roam in large fields where you can see them anyway. Cloaking is recommended for sneaking up on them undetected (focus may also be good for the well trained gorges who want to see if they can get the buffalo from a great distance) Regeneration or redemption is the best choice. The last thing you want is to be in the middle of an open field with a broken leg and no way back.

Random pointers:

When you evolve, find a good location. You can reach many areas as a skulk that you can't get to as a gorge, and you can do it faster. If you know a good elevated place to drop chambers (be they offence or upgrade) and you intend to drop some, try climbing up there before evolving. Other than that, try to find some placerelatively safe, but preferably close to the area you want to be in as a gorge. Vents, under or behind things, any relatively hidden place is better than out in the open.

You can use healspray while building a structure.

Healspray can be a good attack, but spit will take down your opponent faster (if you don't miss with it)

If you bind impulse 91 to a key, you can instantly drop an oc as a bullet shield.

You remain cloaked while building. (they can probably hear you though, and will know you are close to the structure being built)

Conclusion:

Well that about wraps it up. Please tune in next time where I will discuss how to best prepare a marine for thanks giving (basting tips included). Until then, stay healthy and keep up the resistance. Marines are not only invading, but are also an excelent source of protien.

Re: Guide to Gorging

Nice work, I love gorges.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Gorges are the bomb. It's the first alien life form I really learned how to use. Back in the day, when I used 56k and first started playing ns, the only thing I coudl really do is gorge because turret farms lagged me out. Every place worth attacking had a turret farm every game, so I couldn't really do much but gorge.

I did eventually learn that I could assault the turret farmed areas by ammasing babblers nearby. Good times.

I remember thinking I forgot to put something in here, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. I think it was a random pointer.

I probably should have mentioned gorge rushes and stuff, but right now I'm starving and on my way out.

Comment

Informative, and entertaining to boot. I love the section on "Hunting Buffalo" =P

Comment

Nice guide.

Additionally, please see this video for more helpful advice on the greatness of gorging.

http://files.filefront.com/gorgesroc.../fileinfo.html

Comment

I can't find the edit button, but I wanted to add under random pointers: If you are facing two marines you have a unique combat situation in that you typically have some time before they kill you, but you are not usually preoccupied with trying to get close and bite them, and unless you have celerity running isn't really an option. Something that can help you last the extra seconds before your team arrives is trying to position yourself so you and the marines form a line. You can use one marine as cover from another. Spart marines will spread out and surround you, but in tigher hallways I have sometimes managed to last a while while the marine in front reloads and the other tries to get a shot in but ends up hitting his teammate just as much.

Friendly fire is your friend.

Comment

I'd like to point out that silence can be INVALUABLE for gorges long after it has lost value for skulks.

Ex: Marines have subspace locked down and have a marine guarding it, full time. You have silence and cloaking. You walk near sub, drop a sensory, and built it knowing no one can hear you building. Once the SC is up, you drop everything else, and pretty soon you've got a very stealthy wall of lame.

Another thing: EGGING! So you're a skulk, and you want to fade. With cloaking and SILENCE, you can achieve this almost ANYWHERE in relative safety. There have been many times I have caught others or have been caught myself due to the gestation noises. Also, in case you didnt know, the upgrades will wear off upon hatching, so be prepared to hitail it outa there, once you hatch. This also means you won't be stuck with cloaking and silence on fade :P.

"Who put the fun in dysfunctional? I." - Aesop Rock

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Comment

Sure, I screw up sometimes and forget, but, as a rule, I use silence any time I can when I'm gestating... for the very reasons aes0p outlined.
                Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

These sound more like comments for the silence thread, but yes as a gorge it is also sometimes useful to get silence.

As I recall, the building still makes noise when you build it, even when you have silence. I could be mistaken though, and I think there are a few sounds that are elimintated by getting silence. The main difference would be if they saw the building and you were cloaked with silence and building it right in front of them, they might hear enough to know you are near it.

It's like how silence skulks still make little crunchy noises when eating rts, it's just much less noise.

I feel weird about silence and cloaking combined, because I feel if I'm going to be walking slowly I'm losing alot of the advantage of having silence. The more reasons you have to get silence the more you should consider getting it.

Comment

The gorge doesn't make a building noise if it has silence. The buildings have noises that go off on their own.

99. A smiley face is not used to mark a minefield.
                    100. Claymore mines are not filled with yummy candy, and it is wrong to tell new soldiers that they are.
                    101. I am not allowed to mount a bayonet on a crew-served weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan25
                      The gorge doesn't make a building noise if it has silence. The buildings have noises that go off on their own.
                      Noises that go off while being built? (This would imply noise being made when a gorge has silence and builds something)

Comment

Building without silence involves 2 different sounds--1 sound (the "drop" sound) plays very briefly the moment you drop the building, and a second sound plays continuously as long as you hold down "use" to build it.

A gorge without silence can build quietly simply by not using "use", but of course then the buildings will go up very slowly. With silence, the "use" sound no longer plays. However I can't remember if the "drop" sound is also silenced. It might still play, since technically it is a sound produced by the building instead of the player.

Comment

I see this done by many well meaning gorges, but it ends up hurting the team more than helping. If you intend to drop movement or defence chambers, wait until you have 30 res and drop two. There are lots of people who think "I will drop one and whore for the next 5 res and drop another" This hurts the team in at least 2 ways. #1) the time you spend whoring could be spent in that very crucial first push where you might make the difference in something like the marines getting to cargo on Tanith. #2)there is alot of time spent as gorge that something could happen and you don't get the second chamber down. This hurts your lerk terribly. 1MC or 1DC skulks are not worth the time you spend leaching 5 res in the beginning. It hurts the team in so many tactical ways I couldn't begin to list them all. There can be an argument for dropping 1 SC; in that an early cloak rush needs only 1 SC, but I think you are still better off with 2. My point still stands; if you are going to drop chambers, wait to 30 and drop 2.

Comment

Originally posted by nine hells
                            if you are going to drop chambers, wait to 30 and drop 2.
                            Totally agree.
                            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by nine hells
                              if you are going to drop chambers, wait to 30 and drop 2.
                              Maybe, maybe not.

Level 1 silence can help a lot, you make a third less noise and so the marines expecting to hear you completley will think you are farther away, say in the next hall way over. It can help a lot, but only when the marines expect two, or 3 mcs.

This can be very importent early on, as several times with only lvl one silence i had bullets fly past me to were my noise as a normal skulk is, lvl 2 is often harder as most people expect it, so for me, lvl 1 and lvl 3 silence is the best, slightly muted sounds, or completly no halfway.
                              Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X