Stim Pack Mod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stim Pack Mod

I was playing on the KoD server (8.9.36.200:27015) the other day on combat, and they have a plug-in which I found amazing.

Its a stim pack plug-in, and as the name suggests its basically turned the catalyst upgrade into the equivilent of stimpacks from starcraft.

As of right now, you only get a catalyst pack when you kill something. This action still takes place as normal with the mod installed.

The difference is now if you have catalyst researched, you can choose to get a catalyst pack at any time using the flashlight (f) key. Your flashlight gets turned off automatically (or turned back on if it was on), and you cannot request one when you have the cat-pack still pumping around in your system (allowing you to toggle your flashlight as normal).

Now heres where things get cool, after all, this is a stim-pack simulation, not cat-pack. You take damage when you make this request, just like starcraft

"the Marine can also use the stim pack ability, which allows him to sacrifice some of his health (as the stim pack causes a large variety of health problems) for a temporary increase in attack and movement speed. Its effect is not cumulative. "

It is your choice if the health and armor (yes, a bit of both, and if your out of armor, its more health) loss is worth the gains. But if you have resuply, you get your health back, which makes it an easier choise.

As a nice finish, the marine stim-pack sound plays when this ability is used, not only sounding cool, but warning near-by aliens that he hurt is comming.

I found it particularly useful when you need to deal with either a stuck fade, an onos, or having to run somewhere quickly.

Makes catalyst a worthwile early upgrade, rather then just getting it because you need to use up points.

What do you guys think?
    I am a n00b. If I beat you, it must be a mistake.

Re: Stim Pack Mod

sounds neat
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Are there any other differences? Like maybe more potency?

Comment

After I saw this post, I immediately went over to the KoD server to test it.

There are precisely 2 separate changes that this mod does.
        1) The catalyst soundset is replaced with the Starcraft Stimpack soundset, which is ubercool
        2) In addition to the catalysts that you already get normally, you now have the ability to "buy" catpacks on demand at a cost of dealing 50 damage to yourself. This is a VERY useful ability, as what's the point of catpacking yourself AFTER you killed whatever you're fighting, while you're in the middle of reloading? This way, you can catpack on your way into battle, instead of your way out. The only downside is that it is currently attached to the flashlight function, meaning using your flashlight will also cost you 50 health.

Comment

Sounds pretty OP to me. Cool idea, lousy balance. What good does 50 damage do the aliens when a marine can knife down a node in 15 seconds instead of 30? Or when 3 marines can shotty down a hive in the same amount of time 6 could before?

"Who put the fun in dysfunctional? I." - Aesop Rock

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Comment

I believe its CO only...in NS, you can already get catpacks on demand, they just cost 3 res.

Comment

I think it might be fun to try. Even in ns it is balanced. It hurts both hp and armor. 1 medpack to replace the hp lost and welders to repair armor. This will be greater in cost than a catpack will and would allow for the marines to had a catpack to finish that node before they die. If they use it at armor 0, they are down to 2 bites. The comm has to drop them a medpack the resore that hp, mayber if we change it to need 2 medpacks. say take 51 health away. The comm can drop them a catpack for 3, or let them take it when they need one at the cost of 2 medpacks. Throw in a stimpack bind and it might add something fun, at least worth a test run.
              Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

This mod is originally intended for co, and I'm glad to see there is positive feedback. Hopefully Wyz will be interested enough to give it a try. Maybe make it a buyable thing to activate stimpacks for a map for 300 points or something.

I never even thought about this being for a ns map, though it would be neat to maybe try for a weekend or something. Would definately make cat-packs an early upgrade. Perhaps make it truely a-la starcraft, and make it so a com would need to select (or hotkey a group of marines) and then hit a key bound to stim or something.
                I am a n00b. If I beat you, it must be a mistake.

Comment

My idea is that the commander buys the catpack upgrade.

The commander can drop the catpack on the marines as normal (3 res each)

The marine at anytime(with limits) can hit the stimpack bind (bind key stimpack) to get one at anytime at a cost of 51 health( or more). The commander can then drop a med pack to restore some lost health (2 res) so the marine still loses some health and armor, making it more worthwhile in planned rushed to use the catpacks, but for a random marine walking around, a stimpack might allow for the marine to do something faster, and the comander can not always be there.

This way the commander can drop catpacks, or let the marines take them as they need at a much larger cost, 4 res to mostly heal or time on the armory, or 2 res + a click on the armory. The armory costs time, something that can be more expensite then any amount of res.

The commander will pay to give somepower to the marines, the ablity to use stimpacks, but the marines can then in groups use them better then the commander can in some cases be able to. In theory it could add another teamwork aspect, you are with your buddy you can swich off in the stimpacks if needed right away and the commander can focus on more important matters at the time.

If the commander could turn the stimpacks on and off, It would allow for another desion of the commander. Shoud I allow the marines to use stimpacks at a bigger cost( time and/or res), but higher effectiveness, or keep it at normal?

Also have it so you need to have at least 1hp + Stimpack's hp cost, to stop the marines from killing themselfs, requring a medpack, or 2, inbetween stimpacks.

A question,
                  Do catpacks make you build faster?
                  Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Catpacks don't make you build faster.

The main problem I see with the health cost is that you would have to make it fairly high to give the commander incentive to drop more than one medpack. Who cares if the marine is at 99 health? When do you start caring?

You would probably want to do some damage calculations. How often would an extra 10, 20, 30 health make a difference to a marine.

Another thing to consider is the amount of time between when you use the stimpack, and when you get the medpacks. If the average time is long enough, it might be worth leaving it at costing 50 health.

Also, I don't know if this already works like this, but stim packs should only be usable when you have more health than whatever it costs. I don't think you should be able to use it to kill yourself, or take yourself down to only 1 hp or something like that.

Catpacks could probably use a little bit of a boost, but I'm not certain this is it. The mod was made for combat, and it makes more sense for combat than classic.

Comment

Forgive me for not making one thing clearer earlier: something like this will never find its way onto NS maps on TGNS. Folks come here to play stock NS. We're already pushing it with the /res and res distribution. Let's keep NS as stock as possible.

We're far more liberal with CO, as it's considered what I call "a glorified ready room," serving primarily as "something to do" while we wait for NS games to start.

Give the week or two that it's novel, I'm not convinced this Stim Pack Mod will pull players to NS any faster than CO as we have it today.
                      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X