Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RouterBox's commanding guide

http://jick.org/commanding

It's very difficult for me to read on my monitor, and it's clearly (and understandably, given the author) geared toward competitive play (which makes many of its assumptions flat out invalid when applied to casual play), and it's heavy on opinion and light on facts, but it's an excellent read.

I read slowly, and it took me just over 30 minutes to take it all in.

I highly recommend it to anyone who commands regularly on our server.

Best excerpt:
    You should probably put 2 turret factories in marine start just in case they take one out. I write funny jokes. Don't ever put a turret factory in marine start ever for any reason no matter what. Even if both halls out of MS are full of offense chambers. Just don't do it. No matter how good an idea you think it is. If you tfac MS, your team will eject you, your clan will cut you, and your mom wont love you.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: RouterBox's commanding guide

Yeah, he has some layout/design issues on that site, and of course routerbox is opinionated :), but his experience in the chair really gives him brownie points. Plus he doesn't man up when it comes to shots.
    USAR

Comment

"The commander is in charge of controlling the res flow of both teams." Bingo. When your comm the ideal node count for the aliens is 1. You want them at one node for most of the game. If aliens cap 2 nodes at the start (giving them 3) and those nodes don't die everything is just going to get harder and harder, aliens can get to a point where they have so many nodes and so much stored up res that you have to kill the alien RTs 2-3 times over just to get them down to 1 node again. For marines your going to want 3+ RT at all times and holding 5 is preferred (3 is the minimum.) As a comm your going to want 1 marine going around capping nodes at all times, but his most imporant job is saving nodes he needs to beable to kill the skulks that are killing your nodes. Look at your minimap every few seconds and you can see what is under attack, if a marine is near the node under attack send him to save it.

This is a pretty good commanding guide and is designed for CAL play but I think it fits TG quite well too. Mainly because we don't do as many 2 hive lock downs as other servers, and when we do the 2 hive lock down it just happens and wasn't really the starting strat. On so many other servers (mainly large player count ones) I hear the comm say "Go to the hives" before he even gets into the chair. The main reason a 2 hive lock down even works is becuase the aliens let it happen and I could write pages about it but ill spare you all =).

The deflection and Guns pages have some good information. Id like more comms to try the Guns strat on the server, not a rush just to shoot the hive but a rush to target "lifeforms first" then kill the hive. If you time it right you should have plenty of time to kill the second hive while its still building. The main reason lifeforms first is very solid is becuase it can take away everything from the alien team in one fell swoop, fades will be pressured to save that second hive and may make a costly mistake. Rushing in with Guns is also faster and less costly than sieging, the speed is the big one becuase once the hive is down marines can go back to saving your own nodes and killing the aliens.

Comment

Wow router is the man, I'll take a look through it tonight.
        Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
        Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Awesome guide. I've seen it linked from other forums already... this is very, very useful for comms who want to be above-average.

Comment

sillent dropping, FOV when entering the chair = same FOV when u get out!... man the little things I "saw" that nvr triggered my little brain.....priceless

i like his idea about tf vs mines. and tf lame in MS

great stuff! thx for the link man.

do you serve a purpose or do you purposely serve

Comment

Originally posted by Warmonger
              sillent dropping, FOV when entering the chair = same FOV when u get out!... man the little things I "saw" that nvr triggered my little brain.....priceless

i like his idea about tf vs mines. and tf lame in MS

great stuff! thx for the link man.
              I still don't get how to do silent dropping, although I believe I've done it accidentally quite a few times while comming but wasn't sure what was causing it.

Comment

Interesting read, my favorite part was where he explained deflection of the hive as in how to influence aliens to drop a weaker hive. Also I definately agree with him about trying to siege sewer on caged being a bad idea.

Originally posted by aeroripper
                I still don't get how to do silent dropping, although I believe I've done it accidentally quite a few times while comming but wasn't sure what was causing it.
                Imagine your screen has a crosshair on it when you are in the chair. Center that crosshair in the black void outside the map and then drop something inside the map with your cursor.

Comment

Originally posted by squeak
                  Yeah, he has some layout/design issues on that site, and of course routerbox is opinionated :), but his experience in the chair really gives him brownie points. Plus he doesn't man up when it comes to shots.
                  >.< watch your mouth

AND MAN UP!!!!!

The content comes off as opinionated because its pretty much impossible to prove a lot of the things in there. Its kind of a trust me, or else find out the hard way why you should have trusted me, kind of thing.

Also, I don't buy the "pubs should be commed differently" thing. If you comm a pub according to all the principles in my guide you will win more games, more swiftly, than if you don't. Remember, I've commed a lot of pub games, and countless on this server as well.

I'd be interested in which points in particular people disagreed with. Maybe I didn't explain the reasoning well in certain places. Or maybe i'm wrong 0.0
                  <.< >.> >.< ^.^

Comment

It's a great guide, especially the parts about mid-game (deflection, save for tech, etc). I've used a few of those ideas already and they work well. I think the part about cat packs is mostly true, but isn't useless in all situations. I've gotten them when I'm getting a heavy train going and not a whole lot of map control, just feed a few cats to your heavies and they'll cover a lot of ground fast for you. Or maybe that desperate lmg rush late game.

Imagine your screen has a crosshair on it when you are in the chair. Center that crosshair in the black void outside the map and then drop something inside the map with your cursor.
                    Yea I figured that part out, but its next to useless in game if you can only use it on a very few number of places in the game. IMO its slow and more of a hassle than the small benefit it gives you.

Comment

A GREAT guide, i loved it. Thanks Router! I havn't really been doing too well on the proto vs two hives side of things though, i find myself getting that second hive down 90% of the time lately, therefore being unexerienced in countering two hives. ;) Any tips other than just keeping my nodes up?

Comment

You can use silent dropping in almost every room in the game, in fact I often do (on the rare occasions I comm) to give medpacks or ammo to someone who probably doesn't want aliens knowing he's about.

Comment

I'm sorry to interject, but I tried the link and it didn't work. Did the guide move? I'd love to read it, although I'm far from confident enought to comm. I still am learning but I have the basics down I think.

-Sirusblk

Comment

Speak German? http://www.lerk.de/comm/

Edit: If you are looking for a commanding guide that you can actually read, our TacticalWiki has a nice commanding guide written by TheAdj.
                            Steam Community: | |

Comment

Thanks Kormendi for linking me the TacticalWiki Com guide. I did read it and enjoy it very much. I'm one of those reasource freaks, I like as many reasources as possible. If anyone knows of any other good Comm guides, I'd love to hear about them!

-Sirusblk

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X