NS "abbreviation and lingo" guide for new players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS "abbreviation and lingo" guide for new players

NS has, like many game subcultures, spawned a large set up unique language and terms to describe and define events in the game and things related to it. In addition, it has also resulted in many song adaptations, usually paradodies of existing songs. For example, Girls Just Want to Have Fun (1985) was changed to Gorges just want to have fun. If I had a million res nodes is another. Such songs usually protected under parody laws. For example, a parody of Barbie Girl using Gorgy (i.e I'm a gorgie girl, in a gorgie world...) was made - a song that itself was protected by parody laws from Mattel suing about use of Barbie.

Some selected unique NS terms include:

* Double or dbl - a room on many maps with two res nodes, that usually gets called double regardless of other map names.
    * F4ing - Leaving the game early. If there is an unbalance of 4 players, the game ends early, so this is generally frowned upon as poor sportsmanship, and many servers have rules against this practice.
    * rage quit - When players (usually on a losing side) exit out of anger.
    * eject spam - trying to eject all commanders or convincing others to eject the commanders regardless of how well they are doing in order to make the Frontiermen lose - Again, a practice which servers often have rules against.
    * Knife/Flashlight of Peace - when a Marine is surrendering to the opposing team it is customary to drop all weapons, announce the surrender and run towards the Kharaa turning on and off his or her flashlight and brandishing his or her knife. Sometimes the surrender is honoured until all other Frontiersmen have been killed.
    * HA and JP - heavy armor or jet pack upgrades from the prototype lab.
    * HMG and SG - Heavy Machine Gun and Shot Gun, respectively.
    * CC - Commander's chair (or in some maps, CC refers to computer core - a specific hive location)
    * SC, DC, MC - Sensory, Defense, and Movement alien upgrade chambers
    * BL - Bloodlust (a common combat mod that increases the strength of adrenaline)
    * RR - Ready Room
    * RT - Resource tower (classic only)
    * HP - hit points
    * Lork - A corruption of Lerk stemming from the phrase "Lork on the Clorf"
    * MEDS - Med pack
    * PG - Phase Gate
    * SOF - Scent of Fear upgrade
    * MT - Often said by aliens to inform teammates that they should be careful as they are being tracked by the marine motion tracking upgrade
    * Skulk/SG/JP/HA Rush - When the majority of the team armed with similar equipment attack the enemy simultaneously for devastating effect
    * TF - Turret factory
    * ups - Marine upgrades
    * res whore - A Kharaa player who saves up res just to be able to evolve into a higher life form to the detriment of the team
    * WP - Way point
    * Noob - Most common ns insult, used to describe anyone either new and/or behaving like a bot
    * Heavy use of abbreviations and word shortening. For example res (usually pronounced 'rez') for resources. Maint for maintenance (location). Regen for Regeneration upgrade. Comm for commander and many similar shortenings. In fact, it is considered strange to actually call parts of the map by their full names (i.e ec instead of Eclipse Command, or Via West instead of Viaduct West Entrance).
    This is taken from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural...(computer_game)

and, LOL at knife\flashlight of peace reference.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: NS "abbreviation and lingo" guide for new players

I don't ever use any of that crazy lingo...hold on a second my friend needs some help with NS...

"Go to the RT and drop a SC near it, evolve SOF, and watch out for 2 HA LMG's and 3 JP GL's. If you have the RES, drop three OC's and head back for DBL. If they keep MED SPAMing their HA's, use the MC to move to CARGO HIVE and run to MS to BB their TF or PG. If you make it to MS, BB their CC, A/AA, TF, PL, PG, AL, OBS, and IF's. If the marines nearby get CP spam and SG's, run to the nearest DC and try to stop the HMG HA from taking it down. Maybe they'll get angry enough to EJECT their COM. Be careful though, they may have MT and are setting WP's to wherever you are. Hold on a second, you've got to deal with this NOOB RES WHORE who wants to LORK and take out the marine UPS all by himself. Crap, a SG rush on the last hive. Tell the ALIENS to F4! RAGE QUIT FTW!"
    -Zephyr
    You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
    We are not a single game.
    We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
    We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

Originally posted by Zephyr
      I don't ever use any of that crazy lingo...hold on a second my friend needs some help with NS...

"Go to the RT and drop a SC near it, evolve SOF, and watch out for 2 HA LMG's and 3 JP GL's. If you have the RES, drop three OC's and head back for DBL. If they keep MED SPAMing their HA's, use the MC to move to CARGO HIVE and run to MS to BB their TF or PG. If you make it to MS, BB their CC, A/AA, TF, PL, PG, AL, OBS, and IF's. If the marines nearby get CP spam and SG's, run to the nearest DC and try to stop the HMG HA from taking it down. Maybe they'll get angry enough to EJECT their COM. Be careful though, they may have MT and are setting WP's to wherever you are. Hold on a second, you've got to deal with this NOOB RES WHORE who wants to LORK and take out the marine UPS all by himself. Crap, a SG rush on the last hive. Tell the ALIENS to F4! RAGE QUIT FTW!"
      -Zephyr
      :icon_lol:
      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

First things first: Zephyr, you're amazing :D.

That article misses so many important terms though - OCs, shirtguns, lights, tk, zerg rush to name a few. I'm not sure if these are NS-specific, but I think nub[cake], ftw, and ftl should be in there too - I've never heard them outside NS.

Yeah, I know the idea of Wikipedia is that I can go and put those in. I lazily choose not to.

Comment

I will append these to Wikipedia if none others do:

OC - Offense Chamber
          TK - Team killing (Some servers turn FF (Friendly Fire) on and make team killing prohibited)
          Zerg Rush - Whenever Alien skulks rush the marines base in hopes of simply overrunning them
          Nub - See Noob
          Nubcake - See Noob
          Username: Amagius, Farenyth
          AIM:RitaReplusa
          E-mail:[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Zephyr

-Zephyr
            If you can fit flashlight of peace in there somewhere you will be my hero.

Comment

wow, i dunno if it's great, or sad, that not a single one of thoes i didn't know.
              ^^ to the flashlight of peace, now the FOP.
              ^^ FTL and FTW really need to go in!
              Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

Comment

FTL and FTW aren't really NS-specific though. I know I've heard one or two people comment they hadn't heard of them before playing NS, but they certainly weren't created here, and don't have any NS-specific meanings.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X