need lerk tips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need lerk tips

I've been playing ns for quite a while now and the only alien lifeform i haven't used much (besides onos) is the lerk. I think I'm a pretty decent skulk and fade, but lerking seems to be a whole different ballgame for me. Can you guys gimme some help here? And how do you pancake??
    [negative]

Re: need lerk tips

Lerk is interesting because it serves as both support and attack lifeform.
    Now, im no lerk genius, like some people around here (ambriento and pulse to name two), but heres a couple tips.

-If you go early lerk, marines wont have much more than armor 1. Try to spore them from long hallways or vents and let them walk through the gas to eat off their armor. This makes your job and skulks job much easier.

-Early lerks do much better with celerity as it gives way for quick strikes and quick retreats. Late lerks are better off with adrenaline as they'll be sporing and umbraing a lot more.

-always keep an eye on your hives. If you're the lerk and you dont umbra the hive (after h2 is up of course), the hive going down is YOUR fault, make no mistake. Umbra is the difference between a hive going down in 30 seconds or not going down at all. Just keep in mind, umbra doesnt work against sieges, so you better be in a position to spore the rines building the sieges.

-never rush a marine with a shotgun unless you can sneak up on him and you know hes low hp. 2 direct hits with a shotgun takes down a lerk.

-if you're on the attack, always try and attack marines in short hallways and near corners. this gives you a quick escape route. if you attack in long hallways, its riskier as the marine can unload on you all the way down the hall.

-always try to attack marines from behind. lerks are very fast, generally one of the only lifeforms who can buzz through an open MS (like on lost) and not take much damage, so use this to your advantage. Spore everywhere you go, but make sure you save enough energy for bite.

-always know where your gorges are, you'll need them. a lot.

-if you're having trouble with a group of marines, spore them from afar or a vent and call for backup. your spore makes a skulks job 1 bite+parasite.

-dont get cocky with lerk. you're made of paper.

Comment

hmm, ok cool.

what about tips for a more aggressive player...say someone that wants to use his teeth to get some kills?
      [negative]

Comment

Originally posted by degamer106 View Post
        hmm, ok cool.

what about tips for a more aggressive player...say someone that wants to use his teeth to get some kills?
        Spore + speed. FB's right in saying that lerks are made of paper.

If you're going to be aggressive and try to get kills with your teeth:
        • Spore as you're going in
        • Attack with a healthy measure of speed and surprise
        • Don't miss landing a single bite.

Lerks who linger don't have what it takes to live through combat.
        [volun2]
        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/natural...tml#post526010
          Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

Originally posted by degamer106 View Post
            hmm, ok cool.

I think you have the role of the lerk wrong. There is no aggressive player or conservative.

Know when to sit back and gas, and know when to rush in and go for the kills with bite. Obviously if the whole team has shotguns and you want to be aggressive, you will die very quickly. That is when you sit up in a vent and gas to help the fades and skulks.

If there are 1 or 2 marines in a room building an rt with lmgs then you can fly around a bit emptying there guns and then go in for the kills.

If theres one tip NEVER underestimate a marines ability to kill you with an lmg.

Comment

ok thx. Adj's guide was really good. Was wonderin' though...does holding ctrl down while you fly affect lerk flight in any way?
              [negative]

Comment

if you mean ctrl being the default duck bind, then no.

Comment

Do you mean to glide? You just hold down the space bar. You won't waste energy, you'll be silent, and as long as you aim a little bit down you'll move really fast.

If you're gonna swoop down and sink your teeth in I'd do it from above, like from a vent that way they won't hear you, and you'll have enough energy to gas them and fly away like a bat outta hell.

Overall, make sure you're in perfect health, and if you aren't get healed and don't let yourself see combat until you're back with perfect health.

-Sirusblk

Comment

I've been working on my lerking (I don't like how that rhymes). One of the mistakes it seems easy to make is to fly up to a marine and keep biting away until he dies. Really your biggest advantage defencively as a lerk is your ability to move around quickly and in different directions. I am trying to work on a fly-by-biting or some way to just get one bite in but keep moving pretty fast. You can always circle around and come back for them just don't stop moving.

I wouldn't attack a marine that has another marine near by. Gas is already a more effective option because you are hitting two marines for the price of one and the risk of getting killed increases significantly.

Even as an early lerk I ususally get adrenaline, I'm not comfortable enough attacking marines with celerity I ususally sit back and keep the gas pumping. I've not had any problems killing the lone lmg who I have gassed a little bit without celerity.

With sensory I get SoF and just look for good places to gas marines.

I usually die before we get DCs and once the third hive is up marines usually have heavies and lerks are not needed as much either way.

Comment

k good tips everyone. I'll keep these in mind when I go lerking next time. Still have 2 questions:

1) Is there a special config I should use for lerking (say a different pitch/yaw sensitivity)? I normally stick with my default controls (space & mwheel for jump).

2) how do pancake :?
                      [negative]

Comment

Some lerks use a 3 jump script, it might be worth looking in to (I don't use one)

Pancaking is taking advantage of the fact that you can move up and down faster than you can move forward and backward to try and dodge bullets. The max speed for z axis movement was actually nerfed because of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Pirate View Post
                          Some lerks use a 3 jump script, it might be worth looking in to (I don't use one)

Pancaking is taking advantage of the fact that you can move up and down faster than you can move forward and backward to try and dodge bullets. The max speed for z axis movement was actually nerfed because of this.
                          i have the 3 jump script for bhopping but i don't recommend it for lerk
                          i do use it cause i'm lazy and dont have a quick way to turn it off but it eats up your adreniline wich gets me killed at times. you might try a 2 jump script
                          which is what i'm thinking of changing mine to but if you get use to lerking without it i'd stick to that cause double tapping the jump key with the script wont leave enough juice to bite.

Comment

If you have mouse wheel for jump don't bother with a script (I have mwheeldown and space bar bound to jumping). You can get up fast enough with your mouse wheel and it leaves your space bar open to gliding without wasting tons of energy.

If you are going in for bite kills, the time your going to get shot the most is on the way in (and on the way out if rines are still around). So make it hard, don't fly straight. Dodge.

Comment

I saw someone on g4b2s do it (they have mp_bs 1 on there) and he went up and down pretty fast :\
                              [negative]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X