Glide jumping?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glide jumping?

IS this when you do a regular bunnyhop as a marine, except that on the first jump you hold crouch down, and on the second one you let go of crouch?
    [negative]

Re: Glide jumping?

No.

On the first jump you press crouch until you're just barely at ground level, and then you jump while holding crouch.

On the second jump (immediately after the first) you (having released crouch) jump again as soon as you hit the ground, and normally.

I don't know if that's what you mean with "Glide Jumping" but that's all I can see that it would mean.

Comment

Is it legal in TGNS? I mean does it give you a boost or something or does it just look cool?

-Sirusblk

Comment

It goes faster than a wigglewalk if you mastered it correctly.

Comment

Do you press forward while doing it, xtc? Or just sidestep?

Comment

I've seen quite a few people (mostly CAL-NS players) pull this one off with ease.

I'm pretty sure it's the crouch/jump/un-crouch/jump because of hte way the engine works.
            If you jump to a higher surface you can jump again without getting a speed penalty. So, if you crouch low, (start low) and jump to a higher surface) standing/jump, you get teh same boost as a ledge.

So far as I can tell, it does break the primer rule about bunnyhopping, but i'm almost sure YerMom will throw this one up for debate in the forums soon enough.

Due to it's almost impossible nature to pull off, i'm not sure how much it needs to be moderated.
            Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

Comment

i think i can do it. Sometimes I lose quite a bit of speed from not getting a running start, however.
              [negative]

Comment

I must say that this practice and wiggle walking are two of my pet peeves.

Dark: TGNS has it's own Primer, adapted from the TG Primer.
                USAR

Comment

And despite that, the devs have left it in. They must hate you Squeak.

Comment

Crouch-jumping basically is starting a strafe jump while crouched, then bunnyhopping once after that. It works because if your horizontal velocity is greater than your vertical one, you can get another jump; by jumping while crouched and uncrouching in mid-air, you hit the ground earlier than you would normaly, meaning gravity hasn't had the time to accelerate you too much yet.

Glide jumping is more or less a strafe jump - I believe it takes angular momentum from spinning and converts into regular momentum.
                    Underwhelmed

Comment

What you [the original post] describe is usually referred to as crouch jumping.

As a marine, you can make a second jump if upon landing your downward vertical speed is less than your maximum run speed. Practically this means you want to minimize the time spent falling after a jump.

This can be done by bunnyhopping up map architecture, or by making the first jump from a crouch.

To crouch jump, you want to start ducking some time before the first jump so that you make the jump just as you finish ducking. It takes some practice to be able to do this consistently. If you jump too early you will jump from a stand; if you wait too long the crouch will take away your speed.

This is usually done in conjunction with what is often referred to as glide jumping, which I will describe below.

Glide jumping is more or less a strafe jump - I believe it takes angular momentum from spinning and converts into regular momentum.
                      That's somewhat misleading, at least semantically. There is no notion of rotational inertial in NS, let alone of angular momentum.

The speed boost derives purely from translational motion. In general, whenever your horizontal path traces out a curve, you will gain speed. I have seen several explanations for this, but unfortunately none that have fully accounted for every instance of this effect, so I can only resort to a specific description for each case.

The glide jump, at least as I have seen the term used, refers to the use of this effect on the ground by gradually rotating the view while running in some direction in order to increase speed, and then jumping to avoid losing this speed boost to friction. Usually the running direction is 45 degrees displaced from the direction of aim (accomplished by holding forward and a strafe key) with the view rotated in the same direction, for this will result in motion in the direction of aim.

Use of this effect in the air, on the other hand, requires a directional movement command perpendicular to the direction of motion accompanied by gradual view rotation (in the general case), and is commonly referred to as strafeturning. Usually this means holding a strafe key (only) and rotating the view gradually in the same direction, for this will result in forward motion. This increases your speed and will also gradually change your direction of motion so that it remains aligned perpendicularly to the directional command (that is, aligned with the direction of aim in the usual case). If the directional command is displaced less than 90 degrees from the direction of motion, it will have no (significant) effect; if it is displaced too far past 90 degrees, it will start to slow you instead.
                      Last edited by a civilian; 10-22-2006, 01:30 AM.

Comment

In all honesty you shouldn't worry about glide jumping too much. I rarely, if ever use it in a scrimm and sometimes in pubs when I am bored.

The speed increase isn't that great. You are better off just wall strafing.

Originally posted by Slayer
                        Do you press forward while doing it, xtc? Or just sidestep?
                        Slayer a glide jump is just like a bunnyhop. You only use sidesteps keys and your mouse to get speed. The first crouch jump enables you to ignore the vertical code so you can take another jump on the same height.

You can only glide jump if your first crouch jump is completely silent. If your first jump is not silent then you will not be able to take your second jump.[/QUOTE]

Comment

I would argue otherwise. Glide jumping is incredibly useful. Not only can it be used anywhere (as straight walls are not always available), but it can be used in combat where wallstrafing is rarely convenient. Additionally, as alien, it can be used to initiate a bunnyhop anywhere with an immediate boost to well over half of the maximum bunnyhop speed increase.

The speed attained by a properly executed glide jump is just barely under that provided by wallstrafing, if I recall correctly.

Comment

how can u glide jump as alien when your body can't crouch?
                            [negative]

Comment

Glide jumping has nothing to do with crouch. It involves only the mouse and movement keys.

Crouch jumping, which you described in your original post, is a different technique that is usually used to extend the period over which the speed boost from a glide jump is maintained. It does this by circumventing, at least for one jump, the check that normally prevents marine bunnyhopping.

Edit: Just noticed this-
                              Originally posted by xtcmen View Post
                              Slayer a glide jump is just like a bunnyhop. You only use sidesteps keys and your mouse to get speed.
                              Actually the behavior here is different from that for aerial strafeturning. Do hold forward while glide jumping. If you don't, you will move in a direction about 45 degrees displaced from your direction of aim. To move forward, you want to hold forward and a strafe key.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X