Fade Tactics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fade Tactics

NothingMore hit on how to kill with fades. But killing marines is only part of the literal backbone of the alien team. Fades are the most economical way to take down eleced nodes and to keep a group of marines busy buying valuable time for their team to setup defense, etc.

I have finally started to really delve into the ins and outs of fading. I've gotten the hit and run part down for the most part on pub servers. I'm nowhere near the level of [TG]'s resident fades, but I can hold my own against pubs who walk around in groups massing a total of ONE marine (maybe two if they follow orders).

My questions are more along the lines of the game in a broader scope. For instance, I was beating down eleced marine nodes tonight. For some reason, no one on our team (not the regs, which were few and had already spent thier res, GJ guys: I'm talking about a few pubs I saw) would drop a res node.

The marines attack our hive, what do I do?
    I finished the node and decided I was close enough to make them bacon. I hit the arms lab and took it down, the com could do nothing and got back in and baconed. I then proceeded to just harass them at MS hoping to keep them off our hive, buying time for my team to throw together some DF.

Was this correct? Should I have moved on to hit more nodes? Should I have gone to our hive and possibly died from shotguns? If a regular "fader" would be so kind as to shoot some tips my way about how they play the game as a whole, I'd appreciate it.

What the biggest group of light armor marines you'll take on?
    LA's with shotguns?
    HA's? Do I even bother? Keep them busy? Pray for a quick death?
    Is adren worth it, or should I stick with celerity?
    What about focus? Does it benefit late game for those powerhouse blink+swipe attacks? OR stick with SOF?

Re: Fade Tactics

Well whether you are fading or not, Intel is your best friend. Knowing what is happening and what has been happening the whole game is key I find in judging what to do in a particular situation. Everyone has their own way of fading and may find doing different things more important.

I find that a fades ability to move around quickly is its best ability. Hence I ALWAYS try to move, no stopping by to heal, heal on the go (try to master mid blink meta). Basically I fly around the map left to right and try to keep the marines busy everywhere.

To address some of your questions. Lets say rines are attacking your hive. Your decision to go back should be based on a couple things. 1. How many marines 2. How late in the game, tech lvl (HAs, jps, full tech etc) 3. Try to evaluate in your head, would my being there really turn the tide (after all a hive can go down in seconds) 4. How well is the hive defended (ocs other higher life forms) 5. how many hives (1 hive you definitely want to be there otherwise possible a loss etc..). These are basically the criteria I try to keep in mind as I go around the map. If you think your team can hold out then sure hitting the base and costing rines some tech might be a good idea.

Part of this thought process and decision making should be based on how you feel you perform as a fade. Sometimes it is crucial to keep a fade around so you may want to think twice about entering certain situations. Some people think, meh I have 50 res if I die ill fade again, but if you keep the res and overflow, you will benefit your team more.

"What the biggest group of light armour marines you'll take on? "
    This depends on 1. Opponents 2. Tech level 3. Hives/upgrades. If its lights im comfortable with up to 3 marines, above that have to be careful. Not to say I won't enter a room with more then 3, but I will stay more mobile in a packed room.

"LA's with shotguns?"
    Some people may just want to avoid shotguns, especially if you aren't very comfortable fading. If you think you can take on the shotguns you must stay mobile, blink swipe, blink swipe repeat. A walking fade is a dead fade vs shotguns.

"HA's? Do I even bother? Keep them busy? Pray for a quick death?"
    Ha's blink and swipe, make them sweat, create a diversion for smaller units to get hits in, try to approach trains in open areas not hallways where you may get stuck. Late in the game the fade is a good diversion unit, everyone like to shoot the fade, which is when the little skulks can nibble at their feet.

"Is adren worth it, or should I stick with celerity?"
    If you don't have the hang of blinking I would recommend adrenaline, In fact, I would recommend adrenaline either way. More energy = more blinking = faster movement, you can move pretty much as fast as with celerity. Having said that with 2 hives and metabolize celerity can be viable, although I still prefer adrenaline.

"What about focus? Does it benefit late game for those powerhouse blink+swipe attacks? OR stick with SOF"
    I pretty much always go with SOF, As far as Iím concerned the only class that really benefits from focus is a skulk and possibly lerks. SOF will help you track down rines wandering trying to build phase gates, which brings me back to one of my initial statements to constantly be patrolling all around the map, use your ability to move quickly.

This is my take on fading, whether you agree or not who knows, but it generally works for me. There is no best way to fade. I have watched many great fades, and they have differences in their styles of play. One thing all good faders have in common is their ability to take full advantage of blink, stay moving.
    Last edited by Polska; 04-15-2004, 11:54 PM.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

How the hell can you both meta+blink at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by _Ender_
        How the hell can you both meta+blink at the same time?
        Skills :0, you need fast fingers, use the weapon keys directly to switch quickly, its tricky, and probably not very doable if you aren't using wasd setup. Takes practice but well worth it if you can get it right. Its also good to learn because meta also gives you some energy back for more blinking and swiping.
        Last edited by Polska; 04-16-2004, 12:04 AM.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Switch mid flight.

'q' is your friend.

Comment

Blink, then switch into a bunny hop, and meta while hopping. That's really good to do if you took damage and want to get some where, or just need energy. I get focus when I'm against shotgunners or people held up in a base, SoF if the marines are trying to sneak a phase. I like scilence instead of adreniline, Works well for taking out shot gunners. alot of times I can get two swipes in before the marine knows he's under attack. Besides, when I get movement, I have two hives for meta anyway, and can get more energy with that. Meta is instant, Remember that. While hitting res nodes you can switch to meta, gain energy and health (if it's elec the health is handy) and switch back to swipe without breaking your damage flow, plus, if you are like me and get scilence, you will run out of energy swiping the node, and low energy is not good to have if you get suprized by a marine.

But, I suck at fade ~_^

PS, when ever I fade, I get the run forest run award. Keep moving, all the time.
            Last edited by NothingMore.; 04-16-2004, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Cele is good if marines are jumping back to avoid swipes on you too often.

I'm starting to use it more than scilence.

Comment

Originally posted by NothingMore.
                Cele is good if marines are jumping back to avoid swipes on you too often.

I'm starting to use it more than scilence.
                About the only time I ever get anything other than celerity is when I'm being ninja skulk. IMO - celerity is best no matter which lifeform you are.

Comment

ha. 3 marines with lmg's. late game if those 3 marines are any decent you'll be ripped apart by those lmg's before you even get close, and you'll suffer a pistol death. then again, you also don't encounter 3 decent marines together in pubs very often, so this comment is moot.

i'm gonna say stay away from shotties is a good rule of thumb. if you have to kill them, try to use them as shields against each other, and attack from behind.

eh, i think a thread on killing fades would be more useful.

Comment

I dont know whos seen me fade but Im not bad, atleast by 2nd hive, I tend to do not so well 1st hive because I rely so very much on celerity and movement in general. To me as a fade celerity is more important then the Defense upgrades.

When attacking marines (a group), I tend to blink and get off no more then 2 swipes before i blink out of there. All that is needed is one lucky shotgun hit and you are down for the count. In larger rooms, always blink up, straight up, and then away, or back down at the marines, depending on your health and amount of marines. This confuses the hell out of almost all players except the real veterans.

Il take on pretty much any size of marines with LMGs, but it will take a while. If i see the group I tend to just blink outta there and wait. try to get in behind or from the side, swipe once or twice and get out of there, and repeat. Even if i still have 150+ armour left, I still blink out of there, since that can drop extremly rapidly if your not careful.

Late game I opt focus over SoF. While SoF is very helful, focs counters medspam, sicne all you have to do is hit them once, blink away, then no matter what their health is, they will die in the next focus swipe. Late game staying for 2 swipes or more is too risky, so this hit and run tactic can be very effective.

Shotties are the only thing you have to fear (HMGs too i suppose), but you should be alright if you always err on the side of caution, even if you think you can get in another swipe, its better to just blink out of there and come back a few seconds later.

If say in your situation the hive is under attack, I would check the base, unless i was right next to the hive, then i would head there. If they have heavies and shotties, youl prolly be better off checking out their base.

btw: I dont know how well this was written or how well my paragraphs flow into eachother, its hard to keep track in the small Quick Reply box.
                    Last edited by bobislongenough; 05-02-2004, 08:26 PM.

Comment

lol... there was an instance (that totally pissed wyz off) where me and brad double-handedly took down 5 or 6 heavies in mother interface without breaking a sweat. that was funny, we were both targetting the same heavy with focus hits :>

it helped that the marines never shot us lower than 100 armor....

Comment

Originally posted by Sasuke
                        lol... there was an instance (that totally pissed wyz off) where me and brad double-handedly took down 5 or 6 heavies in mother interface without breaking a sweat. that was funny, we were both targetting the same heavy with focus hits :>

it helped that the marines never shot us lower than 100 armor....
                        Owned =^.^=

Comment

I personally prefer Cara and celerity.

You can stay in battle longer, and if your ever hurt bad enough that it would take a while to meta your health you can get back to the hive to heal. Which takes just as long as sitting and waiting for regen to work. Pluss its nice to check on the hives often.

Comment

lol that would explain why emanon's so easy to kill, tee hee :O

Comment

LoL funny thing is, since I have changed to this config I die 10X less when facing shotguns.

BTW, only been doing this the past week and have only died once.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X