The Skulk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Skulk

Um... I know this is really sad but when I'm on aliens, I always have trouble killing a marine 1v1. The only times I get a kill is when I'm lucky or theres when i kill steal =] I usually run with a small wiggle and jump to the target but I always get killed after 1 bite ^^" Anyone got any tips? =P

Re: The Skulk

Don't attack marines who have range on you. Hide around a corner and wait for them to approach. Most marines on the server can kill a skulk 1v1 reliably.

Ambushes decrease their chances greatly.
    Steam Community: | |

Comment

Originally posted by RemixFortunate View Post
      Um... I know this is really sad but when I'm on aliens, I always have trouble killing a marine 1v1. The only times I get a kill is when I'm lucky or theres when i kill steal =] I usually run with a small wiggle and jump to the target but I always get killed after 1 bite ^^" Anyone got any tips? =P
      Don't go one-on-one with marines. :P

Seriously though, if you can manage it, find a buddy.
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

There are several upgrades that you can pick up that would greatly enhance your prospects of killing a marine, which are absolutely amazing, IMO.

1) Cloaking: If you walk around while cloaked, they don't see you.
        2) Silence: If they can't hear you running up behind you...
        3) Carapace: Doesn't help against higher level weapons, but everything counts for a Skulk
        4) If you find yourself ambushing marines, go for Focus.
        5) IF you attack a marine from behind, don't jump, ankle bite them to death.

Comment

Originally posted by Auren View Post
          1) Cloaking: If you walk around while cloaked, they don't see you.
          Good marines will spot a walking skulk with cloak. But you can hang to a ceiling cloaked and than ambush the marine from behind after he walked past you.

Comment

Rushing at a marine will probably just get you killed; a marine can take a skulk head on almost all the time, but a skulk can take a marine from behind almost all the time. Silence makes it very, very easy to just run up behind someone and bite them, but your best option is just to hang out above doors and drop down once a marine walks through. Occasionally they'll just look up and frag you, but 9 times out of 10 nobody checks above themselves when they enter a room.

Comment

Originally posted by -=nX=- View Post
              Good marines will spot a walking skulk with cloak. But you can hang to a ceiling cloaked and than ambush the marine from behind after he walked past you.
              Due to a lot of testing, and that a lot of maps are dark, this is for the most part untrue. Running, on the other hand, is a different story. I've played with a lot of the guys here, and many, many don't notice a walking skulk. Due to light conditions and the fact that you're small.

Comment

Skulking a one of the hardest things in NS, it requires: timing, control, map awreness, teamate awarness, communication and agility. You must bundle all this into one giant package to be an effective skulk. Here are some tips.

Know when to attack: Deciding when to attack is one of the most important things for a skulk. You have to ask yourself some simple questions before you engage marines. What are the marines doing? If a marine is building its good time to attack, sometimes you can wait till a marine starts to build then attack, this works best for killing RT cappers. Marines building a PG? Attack right away you cant let that PG get up.

Know where your teamates are: This is VERY important. Nothing is worse than a bunch of skulks going in one after another and dieing to 1-2 marines. Even two seconds can make the differece. Check your minimap when you hear marines, see where your teamates are. Fall back, gather your friends and make a group attack. The best way is to hit the marines from all sides at once.

Pick where to fight: Skulks are faster than marines, thus often times the skulk can choose the room to fight in. This is especially true at the start of the game. Parasite and fall back, find an ambush spot then go for the kill.

Ambush: If marines are on the move always attempt an ambush. Always try to ambush to where you will be closest to the marine when he rounds that corner. Don't ambush from 50 feet above a marines head becuase if he looks up you will die. When preforming an ambush, try to time it by sound, dont count on the marine not looking at your ambush spot becuase if it is any good he will check it. When you think the marine is about to cross your path attack, this takes practice. Ambushing with other skulks is most effective so call out where marines are going when they are rooms away. Remember to parasite and fallback. Baiting the marines also works well with an ambush. If you see other skulks set up in an ambush get the marines attention so he may not check that corner.

Rushing attack: If you must rush, such as when attacking a marine controled position (ms, a pg, siege) always try to go in from behind. Let the fades make the frontal assault. Attack after lifreforms go in and out, those marines will be low on ammo.

When biting: When biting a marine don't just run right into him and hug his body, this makes you can easy target. Try useing your straf keys to circle your prey, this will make you much harder to kill. Often times its best not to just spam biting, look at what you are attacking and time your bites. Remember bite has a slight range to it.

Remember the most important thing to do is to attack with your team. You may have heard aliens are ment to play solo, THIS IS WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG (wrong.) Every lifeform on the aliens must ultalize his teamates, this is even more true in 3.2 with the weaker second hive.

Comment

I agree with the most part with LazyEye, except a good anklebiter is hard to get rid of unless you have a jetpack or Heavy Armor, essentially, if you a skulk killing an early game Marine, unless that marine is amazing you can usually get him. Also, two bites plus a Parasite, it kills the marine after two bites.

Comment

All of the above advice comes from top level play where every marine has capable aim.

Just to make my biggest point clear. 1 marine >>> 1 skulk especially at the start of the game. 1 Good marine will win vs 1 good skulk more times than the skulk will, even if the skulk ambushes. When skulk kills are made in competive play its useally because the marine had no chance to kill the skulk because he was building, reloading, shooting an RT, hit from all sides at once, or attacked by multiple skulks. There are exceptions but generally speaking the above reasons are when you attack marines, because you know you have the best chance.

The skulk takes 10 bullets to kill at level 0 weapons. It is fairly easy to kill 3 skulks with your LMG and pistol, especially if the skulks rush at you (even if they bhop.)

I have played on servers where every skulk on the alien team was terrible. They rushed me over and over again from ecplise hive to the ecplise hive siege point. All I did was check the hall ways and rack up kill after kill. Soon the cheating accusations start flying. These players are stuck in a rut. They have only played vs other bad marines and use the samse tactics that only work vs. them.

The point I'm trying to make is you have to assume every marine can hit every bullet on you. Leave him no chance to connect with those bullets.

Comment

I was going to give you some great advice, but LazyEye got to it first.

Especially choosing where to fight. You have the advantage of mobility....use it.

Comment

Heh, I never can find a good camping spot though ^^" The only good ones are usually the popular ones. D:

Comment

Dude, any spot in which marines can't see you until they are really close to you is a good "camping spot". Improvise your spots according to where the marine is. Often I find myself just waiting behind the corner, and when I see/hear the marine is close enough I just run towards him and bite him.

Comment

Originally posted by RemixFortunate View Post
                            Heh, I never can find a good camping spot though ^^" The only good ones are usually the popular ones. D:
                            Heh, I have a spot on Veil that I will not reveal because it gets marines 100&#37; of the time (this is at least 20 different memories of the location) and I'd like it to stay that way. Granted, my "100% of the time" refers to me taking out one marine, guaranteed. If a group is there, I can't promise anything for multiple take-downs, just that two is a high likelihood. With silence+sof/cloak(sc provided), that spot can be a perfect deathtrap for an entire group of marines.

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
                              Heh, I have a spot on Veil that I will not reveal because it gets marines 100% of the time (this is at least 20 different memories of the location) and I'd like it to stay that way. Granted, my "100% of the time" refers to me taking out one marine, guaranteed. If a group is there, I can't promise anything for multiple take-downs, just that two is a high likelihood. With silence+sof/cloak(sc provided), that spot can be a perfect deathtrap for an entire group of marines.
                              There is no such thing as a 100% chance, only that marines do not know where it is. Use it enough and people will learn to look there. A ping by the commander will show you, allowing any good player who watching the minimap with pings would know you where there.
                              Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X