Anti-smurf plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-smurf plugin

Now that there is a 'player list' function in all steam games, can we get rid of the anti-smurf plugin? It's actually better than the anti-smurf because you see what peoples REAL steam name is instead of whatever they signed up in the forums with.

I like to have a team theme when I captain a game, and the [ ] messes with all sorts of stuff. I have not heard a single complaint from the countless times I have done this with the team.

Re: Anti-smurf plugin

um...yeah, if you checked my steam login name, you wouldnt know who I was more than likely, cause it has nothing to do with ferris bueller or any other name i've ever used in gaming.

Comment

Well, your steam-friends name in the player list is not related to your steam account and you can change it easily anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by micr0c0sm View Post
        Now that there is a 'player list' function in all steam games, can we get rid of the anti-smurf plugin? It's actually better than the anti-smurf because you see what peoples REAL steam name is instead of whatever they signed up in the forums with.

I like to have a team theme when I captain a game, and the [ ] messes with all sorts of stuff. I have not heard a single complaint from the countless times I have done this with the team.
        The functionality of which you speak (the anti-smurf [namehere]) is not tied to a forum account.

The plugin will not be goin anywhere anytime soon.
        [volun2]
        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

The 'player-name' thing is too cumbersome for regulars to check just to see who you are. It should be quick and easy to tell who you are, and the current anti-smurf solution has worked very well for that. I've changed players bka's before to match their most commonly used name, or ask them what name they would like to be known as. If they're notorious smurfers without a set name, I'll usually set one then they can ask later if they want to be known under a single name. If its something where you want to use a new name altogether, permanently, that is something that I personally would accommodate as long as it would not change for a long time afterwards. Even then, once you've been a reg for so long under one name, it will take some time for people to get use to the new one.

I'd imagine if you would want to do this (and you let an admin know privately you would like a [bka] name change), you could post a thread in the gen forum letting everybody know your new name. We're a community after all :)
          Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
          Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

what about turning it off with the captain's plugin?

Comment

wut is this anti-smurf plugin

does it really affect anything?
              I haven't even noticed it

Comment

You have to be specifically added to the plugin player list to even have it on. It appends to your in-game name a shortname specified by the admins (mine is just micr0).

The thing is, I think it targets the wrong players. People who smurf by the very nature will *not* register on the forums and never are affected by the anti-smurf. People who play register and rarely change their names, when they DO change there names will never be caught by the plugin and no one will have any idea who they are. The few people who do change there names often make it painfully obvious who they are.

And I have never seen "notorious" smurfers. Corrosion obviously wants to be known as Iris for now on. He is too lazy to go and PM an admin, but there is now more confusion when I call him iris and a bunch of people corrosion. I just think this is an ineffective plugin that does not follow the spirit of the law but instead just the letter.

For such a small plugin I am pretty vocal about it, seems most people can care less :/ . People always know who I am but I like to mess with some derivative of my name (i_r0c_c0mms) (macr0chasm) etc...
                Once again, I rarely change my in-game name, but I always do a team theme for captains games.

What would be bad about disabling it for captains games?

Comment

I don't want to see it go anywhere.
                  USAR

Comment

AFAIK, for the record, you don't have to be registered on the forums in order to have an admin-specified name used by the anti-smurf plugin.
                    Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

I haven't seen a single unregistered player be identified by this plugin though.

Comment

Originally posted by micr0c0sm View Post
                        I haven't seen a single unregistered player be identified by this plugin though.
                        How often have you seen anyone play for some length of time, not have a forum account?

The people it affects most, are those with the forum accounts because they are the fastest to be pick up on a constant name change.

I do know the admins can see every name everyone has used on the server, but it would be too much work to have it done for every one who has often changed their names.

It would be nice to be disablable for a captains game, after the teams are picked. But it would have to be an admin only command, and we have to talk someone( poker ) into having it added.

btw deadmeat, it only affects those who change there names too often for the admins to like, if you change it for something like a theme round, or if it is someone different playing they won't mind, it was more for those who change their names every day, or something crazy like that.
                        Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

If you haven't already, please read Wyz's manifesto on the subject.
                          [volun2]
                          NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                          <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                          <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

After reading Wyz's manifesto I feel my point is further validated:

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                            smurfing: changing your playername to lessen others' ability to determine your identity

Name changes that do not lead to identity confusion are harmless.
                            and
                            Originally posted by Apophis
                            Nothing irks me more than people trying to figure out ways to get around the rules rather than simply obeying the spirit of the rules.

I don't remember how 'bad' it was before the plugin but as it stands I am never confused as to who is whom and I don't think anyone who changes their name is smurfing by Wyz's definition. Anyone who does cause identity confusion should be dealt with because they are violating the spirit of the rules instead of using this complicated and IMO ultimately incorrect solution.

I would be happy to explain to anyone who is causing identity confusion why we do not tolerate it and what would be acceptable. I don't think anyone who currently plays are trying to hide their identity or make anyone else's lives difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Eternaly_Lost View Post
                              How often have you seen anyone play for
                              btw deadmeat, it only affects those who change there names too often for the admins to like, if you change it for something like a theme round, or if it is someone different playing they won't mind, it was more for those who change their names every day, or something crazy like that.
                              I am afraid to ask but who changes their name daily and plays on the server?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X