Building placements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building placements

I don't have time at the moment to jot my thoughts about all building, but I've been meaning to start this thread for a while. With so many smart people jumping in the command chair, it pains me to see marine main building placements that, to me, seem to hurt the marines more than they help.

First example is the IP. Whenever you can, try to place the IP on the outer perimeter of the CC range. This serves two purposes. If you have to get out of the chair in the early game to shoot a skulk chewing on your IP, you're going to need (*gasp*) some range to use your range weapons. Also, it can take as much as two seconds to walk from behind the comm chair to where I'm proposing the IP be placed. As many as 100 marines are going to be coming off that infantry portal and advancing the map on foot. That means that as many as 200 seconds were wasted by simply traversing already-held territory at marine main. That's wasted time. When's the last time you had over three minutes to "spare" in an NS game?

Put the IP where you can defend it early and where it will help your marines get on the map ASAP. Put the IP far from the command chair.

Also, don't obstruct the path between the IP and where you want marines going. That can be the armory, or the phase gate, or the door of marine main.. whatever. Just do whatever it takes to leave that path unobstructed. I've spent 5 seconds before just getting "out of" the IP. Apply that to the idea above, and you're now wasted almost 10 minutes just by allowing marines to spawn.

More later. Others should post their thoughts about building placements.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Building placements

Originally posted by Psi_RedEye22
    Question: Where would you go about placing the ip/armory/etc on ns_eclipse?

I have seen people put the ip and armory on the lower level of MS and put all the tech in the very back upper lvl.

My opinion on this:
    Put the buildings marines use the most towards the battle feild put the buildings they dont use in the very back and remember to place them so that a skulk can not hide behind them.
    Battlefield/door

.....A
    IP PG IP

....CC

Ar Pr Obs

Another thing to remember is to keep some space between the buildings and the CC. If for whatever reason you need to jump out it will give you time to reorient yourself.
    And like Adj has been yelling for sometime now, throw down some mines. They dont have to cover everything but when you exit the chair you can distract them so that they forget about the mines.

Comment

Eclipse is an icky map for placement like Wyz is talking about, mainly because the CC is so far forward on that platform.

To keep in Wyz's spirit and to still account for the room, I'd put the IP and armory on the raised platform over towards the door, but back far enough that a skulk would need to climb up to bite (as opposed to chomping through the rail from below).

Of course, the odds of me actually doing that are slim, because there isn't enough room on that side of the chair for the "etc" portion of your question. :)
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I've always been a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" guy in some respects, and that attitude has often gotten me in trouble on our server, as he who innovates least loses the most. Anyway, I tend to stay with one base configuration until someone causes me to see it as "broken." So far, this is the only configuration I have for ns_eclipse in 4a:

Conceptually draw a line from the CC to the set of stairs in marine main farthest from the CC. Now place the IP on that line where it crosses the perimeter of the CC's building radius. This puts X, Y, and Z distance between the comm chair and the IP and sorta puts the IP as close to "between the two doors" as you can get, given the restriction of the comm chair's build radius.

From the IP's perspective, the armory is placed in the direction of the CC, on the same Z plane as the IP and about one IP's length from the IP. This allows the armory to be surrounded by humpers without the risk of being IP-fragged.

The arms lab(s) go along the straight wall between the CC stairs and the curve in that wall as you move along it toward the CC (below the CC, between the IP and the CC). The arms lab(s) is an attractive target for skulks. By placing it below you (the commander) and between you and the spawning marine, you can easily time a numbers disadvantage for the skulk when he's chewing on your arms lab.
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Wyz has the right idea here. Build the IP the farthest away from the CC simply because it gives you more room when a skulk is chewing on it and you have to hop out. Mines are a great base defense because they work hand in hand with marines. If you hop out the chair and mines are randomly about, skulks generally have a hard time getting to you without blowing themselves up. The intelligent commander will do two things: First, make sure mines are around the IP and at least ONE MINE at the commchair, and seconly will get out of the chair only when his likelihood of killing whatever is in base is very high. Hopping out the chair when a skulk just came into base and isn't occupied doing something else is too risky. Wait for the skulk to start chewing on something, or better yet until someone respawns, then get out the chair. The distraction of a spawning marine is enough to cover the sound of the chair opening. Also, for the second IP, build it at a 180 degree mark, give or take 45 degrees, from the first IP. Make it difficult for a single skulk to take out your spawn portals. Remember to continually add mines, they're the best defense for static positions. When new buildings are built, save your res for few seconds to drop a pack of mines for your new buildings, otherwise you'll find your new buildings constantly being chewed on. I try to place the armory in the center of the room to prevent skulks from taking out too many people in a closed in space. Open base construction is easier to defend from the commander's viewpoint, because aliens have to travel to buildings to chew on them, which gives marines time to shoot them once they get there. On eclipse, I stick my IPs on the lower tier, so skulks have to run up to get to the upper level, making them easy prey when they come over the railing. It adds even more time for them to travel to me. I place my armory on the pedestal in the middle of the room where the RT used to be, because it's convenient on the way out of base. The other buildings go behind the commchair against the wall, so that they're both out of the way and take the longest time to walk to. Marines spawning in have an easy shot at skulks chewing on them from a long distance. The only exception is the Obs. I place it furthest south and east, so I can see aliens as soon as possible coming into base. That extra range can give you time to hop out and pistol a skulk running into marine start, damaging it so the next marine spawning can kill him easier. Sometimes the comm simply has to damage incoming aliens to allow the next spawning marine to kill the alien faster, it's highly effective. Just remember to reload.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X