Blinking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blinking

Why is it better to not hold forward when you are blinking?

Re: Blinking

I use mouse2 when I blink since its bound to +movement. I usually bunnyhop when I recharging my blink so that's why I don't use the forward key, and still keep a good amount of momentum.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

start a local server on ns_tanith
      turn on cheats
      give yourself res
      drop three mcs
      drop second hive
      gestate to fade
      *unbind jump key*
      Now practice running around the map as fast as possible, bunnyhop using just blink. You should be able to get from anywhere in one hive to anywhere in another and still have the energy to swipe. This will FORCE you to learn to bunnyhop blink as you need to conserve energy.

To get better at really knowing when to let go of blink (last possible moment imo) do 1 hive fade (no metabolize).

To get better at fading in general, play on ns_eon and dont hit any corners or ceilings, especially around marine start.

I have never tried this, I just thought of it now so I will try it and pls comment.

Comment

To answer the specific question, you don't want to hold forward because in order to exploit the acceleration "bug" that we know as bunnyhopping, you must be strafing while in the air. Holding forward will slow you down.

Some one please correct me if I am wrong....

Comment

you should be air-strafing the whole time (as well as bunnyhopping just using blink) as fade. don't travel in a straight line, you'll accelerate faster if you travel in curves(and be harder to hit). Think like a sailboat, but smoother.

Comment

think like you are surfing

Comment

Originally posted by ChopStick View Post
              To answer the specific question, you don't want to hold forward because in order to exploit the acceleration "bug" that we know as bunnyhopping, you must be strafing while in the air. Holding forward will slow you down.

Some one please correct me if I am wrong....
              Wish I could.

Blink is no different from any other form of momentum once you get going. Holding forward causes the game to interpret you as moving forward. Releasing forward stops the game from understanding that you're attempting to move forward and as far as it's concerned, you're just moving sideways or getting propelled via some explosion. Forward speed is only capped if you're actually pressing the forward key, therefore you actually move forward faster when you're not pressing the "move forward" button, if that makes any sense.

EDIT: Also, it impedes your ability to strafe effectively because your momentum is being drawn 100% forward and 100% in whatever direction you're strafing, and then halved. This causes you to move 50% of each, which makes you easier to hit as your movement patterns are tighter and less erratic.

Comment

Thanks all this should help my fade game...hopefully

Comment

eon ftw. really teaches you how long you can hold blink and what directions to look to not hit ceilings. Also has a good amount of long halways to test the max accel and turning. Noticed crouching helps a lot in not hitting corners.

Comment

From my unfinished Fade guide.

Movement: Being able to move around effectively and efficiently is the most important to learn. Many fade deaths are from getting stuck on objects or marines, and most of the time its the fades own fault.

As we know the fade is all about blink. Blink allows the fade to become the ultimate hit and run combat unit and any fade who wants to stay alive must master it. When you hit your +movement key you will gain speed based on how long you had your key pressed down. Going from a dead stop to max speed will require a longer key press than going from blink to blink. (max speed for the fade is 720 units without celerity and 945 with it. To see speed type cl_showspeed 1 in the console with sv_cheats set to 1 on your own lan server)

Blinking from a dead stop to max speed takes a keypress of a little less than a second. From blink to blink you will want to use less of a keypress because you wont require as much speed to get back to the max. For a comparison the blink for a dead stop would be like firing 5 bullets from your LMG. Blinking when you already have speed would be like shooting 1-2 bullets.

Another method of blinking is repeatedly tapping your blink key from when you leave the ground to when you hit it(when you stop tapping.) This will give you a greater distance traveled through the air. The cost of doing this is it drains your adrenaline bar more than the single tap blink. This method can be useful for escaping rooms quickly, blinking to higher platforms, blinking into vents, and catching jetpackers. Personally I like using this method when in combat with marines and will use the single tap blink for traveling around the map.

The starting direction you blink is based off where the center of your screen is looking. Looking up will make you blink higher in the air, looking down at the ground will make you blink into the floor. Generally its a good idea to look slightly up because you will blink further with the extra height. Also getting a little height on your blinks can avoid blocks from gorges and skulks.

Moving around mid-blink is the combination of two things, your strafe keys and mouse look. To do this correctly you will not use your forward key. For simplicity sake +moveleft is going to be bound to a and +moveright is bound to d. To turn left mid blink you would press your a key and move your mouse left. The severity of the turn is going to be based off how far you moved your mouse left. The same thing is done to move right but with the d key and moving the mouse right. If you do this correctly you should be able to navigate 90 corners with one blink. With some fast fingers it is also possible to zigzag left and right in one blink. The only use of the forward key for a fade is running on the ground so dont hold it down when blinking.

The back key will make you lose speed dramatically. It is useful if your going to over blink a ledge or if you hit the top of a doorway and want to get back to the ground quickly.

Comment

didn't know that about the back key.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse