Kharaa Economy 101 for NS2.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kharaa Economy 101 for NS2.0

Here we are again folks. After numerous times explaining the best way to get the most out of your resources in NS1.0, I've decided to just head this one off at the pass and get this dandy of a post out NOW. So, here it is!

Prelude:
    You've joined a game, and you've chosen to play kharaa. That's great. Now comes the hard part, choosing your primary gorge. He has an important job, but I'll get to that in a minute.

In the Beginning :
    There were skulks, and there was a hive. And it was good. Then those little dinners in a can came along and starting mucking everything up! Luckily, those skulks start with 25 res each, which is enough to go gorge and drop a node. Chances are, every skulk will want to find a free res node and do this at the beginning of the game. More res nodes equals more res! If you expect early game resistance, use the buddy system*!

Natural Selection :
    Good old survival of the fittest. Chances are after you've placed your res node you'll have no res left. Go ahead and switch back to skulk and procede to find yourself a meal. As it turns out eating marines not only removes a threat to the hive, it also nets you a small amount of res. Keep your hive happy; kill everything that moves and has two hands!

Evolution :
    I'm sure some of you are asking "Whose going to build my upgrade chambers?" about now. That would be the primary gorge. The problem with gorges are that they are the slowest resource gatherers in the game. Every alien gets one share of the incoming res from the res nodes. Every alien gets some res for each kill. Gorges are not the most efficient killers however, and thus they get the least res. The best way to handle this oddity is to simply build as a gorge, then revert to a skulk to gain more res. Listen to your primary gorge! He may ask for res counts from his fellow kharaa, and call upon them to go gorge for any number of reasons.(Defense of a key area, more nodes, placement of upgrade chambers or a hive) If he asks, do it!

In the End :
    There are some basics rules to how and when you can do things. You can evolve to any alien at any time you have sufficient res. You can evolve one trait off each upgrade tree a long as chambers of that upgrade tree exist. You may only build one upgrade tree per hive. Hives also determine which attacks are available to the kharaa. Most of these things will be the primary gorge's responsibility, others will prove annoying to us all. :)

Recap :
    Everyone gets an equal share of res from nodes.
    Everyone gets extra res for kills.
    Everyone will probably go gorge to build during the course of a game.
    One player will, most likely, decide how best to upgrade the kharaa.
    More nodes equals more res! More res equals more of everything else!

*Buddy System :
    You and a buddy go do whatever most be done as a team. Most likely this means one of you is doing most of the work, while the other watches for baddies. Simple, huh?

First draft of Kharaa Economics 101 for NS2.0, to be refined with further experience in game and by others' comments. KE101 is not intended to be a comprehensive strategy guide. :P

Re: Kharaa Economy 101 for NS2.0

Originally posted by Lirix
    In the Beginning :
    There were skulks, and there was a hive. And it was good. Then those little dinners in a can came along and starting mucking everything up! Luckily, those skulks start with 25 res each, which is enough to go gorge and drop a node. Chances are, every skulk will want to find a free res node and do this at the beginning of the game. More res nodes equals more res! If you expect early game resistance, use the buddy system*!
    I might be misunderstanding this (it is possible :P) and I got to be honest I haven't had a chance yet to play V2.0 (though I downloaded it yesterday), but am I reading this correctly?

Every skulk go gorge at the very begining and each one cap a resource node? :?

Comment

FIrst
      Here we are again folks. After numerous times explaining the best way to get the most out of your resources in NS1.0, I've decided to just head this one off at the pass and get this dandy of a post out NOW. So, here it is!
      Last time i checked, its 2.0, not 1.0
      Second, they shouldn't go to skulk, they should kill their selves
      wastes less res

Comment

Read it again. He said "After numerous times explaining the best way to get the most out of your resources in NS1.0..."

And yes, Wolfie, that seems to be the early trend. Makes it a little too easy for the marines to gorge hunt, though..

And gorges, remember, defend those res nodes! O-Chambers are your friends now -- they actually do something, and are not very expensive.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

if anything, the primary gorge should stay skulk until 50 res, at which point he can drop the hive. you should have one gorge dropping upgrade chambers, and the other players drop nodes, and revert. nodes take a LOT less time to build now, since the game acts as if everyone has 100fps or something? anyway.

what i want to try now is a carapace gorge rush... it can't fail, a gorge can take down a marine single-handedly without cara, and with cara or regen it should be invulnerable... gorges > skulks in killing now, until we get used to the new bite. Spit is soooo much better...

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
            And yes, Wolfie, that seems to be the early trend. Makes it a little too easy for the marines to gorge hunt, though
            Like I said, I haven't had a chance to play NS2.0 yet (and won't until I figure out why my computer won't allow me to play any games) but that seems a little unbalanced. The aliens, with a 6 man squad, could capture 7 resource nodes at the very begining. Is it easier for the marines to get resources now(like maybe their nodes actually produced twice as much resources because of technology or quicker and cheaper to build the nodes)?

Comment

Originally posted by Sasuke
              what i want to try now is a carapace gorge rush... it can't fail, a gorge can take down a marine single-handedly without cara, and with cara or regen it should be invulnerable... gorges > skulks in killing now, until we get used to the new bite. Spit is soooo much better...
              That is pretty sad if the fattest, slowest, weakest alien is actually a killing machine now :?

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie
                Like I said, I haven't had a chance to play NS2.0 yet (and won't until I figure out why my computer won't allow me to play any games) but that seems a little unbalanced. The aliens, with a 6 man squad, could capture 7 resource nodes at the very begining. Is it easier for the marines to get resources now(like maybe their nodes actually produced twice as much resources because of technology or quicker and cheaper to build the nodes)?
                Well, it IS easier for marines to hold res nodes now. Electrified option is great, and TF's are cheap and very effective.

As far as the aliens all gorging to put res nodes to start...that is not going to last, because the marines are going to start gorge hunting right away. And while gorges are more powerful than before, they are still not 'killing machines'.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

rofl tempus... gorges RULE early game... just aim well :P you should NEVER die to a single marine, EVER... and with a skulk buddy (i like lirix's buddy system idea) there should be no problem whatsoever...

Comment

Originally posted by Sasuke
                    rofl tempus... gorges RULE early game... just aim well :P you should NEVER die to a single marine, EVER... and with a skulk buddy (i like lirix's buddy system idea) there should be no problem whatsoever...
                    Geez, what are the marines doing that you are facing? Just standing there letting you kill them as a gorge? I would expect the marines being faster than the gorge and the lmgs being slightly more powerful than spitting would give them an advantage :P

Comment

Marines still have the advantage when fighting gorges. The gorge simply isn't maneuverable enough to dodge any incoming fire. Gorges can be a real pain to deal with if you're trying to kill them while they're in a fortified location though.

As for skulks and the way bite works now, get close. Very close. Not the easiest thing to do thanks to the training marines have had in jumping like jackrabbits since the release of NS1.

Wolfie: Not only is it easier for marines to hold nodes, everything seems to cost less. Hives are all of 35 res, sentry turrets are like 5. Shotguns are only 10, and they are a nightmare for skulks. The aliens almost feel like they're made out of paper they go down so fast in a fight. Even the fades and oni. Carapace allows you to count your lifespan on both hands, instead of one. ;)

jackel: I explained the resources system in 1.0 several times. Now I'm trying to lay it out in 2.0. As for going skulk or just dying..... everyone is going gorge and most, if not all, return to skulk. Do you want to leave the map undefended for 10-15 seconds early game? Skulk is 2 res, and everyone is going to burn 10 just going gorge. And if you're with a buddy, it makes even more sense to go skulk rather than die and walk back.

I won't recommend we sticky this yet, but we will probably want to create a sticky on this subject in the future. :)

Comment

Marines still have the advantage when fighting gorges. The gorge simply isn't maneuverable enough to dodge any incoming fire. Gorges can be a real pain to deal with if you're trying to kill them while they're in a fortified location though.
                        rofl fine, the gorge can dodge less... but it takes what, 4 spits? to kill an un-upgraded marine... and the rate of fire for spit has been increased A LOT. I died in under a second to jin/shrike's spit barrage... that was so disturbing the first time, but then i went cara and started pwning marines :P i think i killed 2 on eclipse before eclipse himself shotgunned me... grrr...

of course this is assuming you're dealing with lmg's. shotties are impossible to deal with...

Comment

Shotties are easy to deal with. Don't attack them from the business end. ;)

Comment

I won't recommend we sticky this yet, but we will probably want to create a sticky on this subject in the future.
                            Too late :)

As for skulks and the way bite works now, get close. Very close. Not the easiest thing to do thanks to the training marines have had in jumping like jackrabbits since the release of NS1.
                            Not so much of a problem anymore, with jump being limited as it is. In fact, I think the limitated they placed on the jump is damn near perfect. Still allows you to jump, however we wont' see such extream jackrabbiting anymore.
                            I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Comment

I was owning with the shotgun last night. You just have to know how to use it properly :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X