Plan B

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plan B

I've been thinking of this now and then and decided to ask because maybe it will generate some good ideas. I'm by no means a top-of-the-line strategist so maybe my betters will get the ball rolling.

In a lot of the maps, such as ns_coldturn or ns_generatorRoom, control of one room weighs heavily on the success of the team, and understandably so. Map control / choke points are expectedly important. But what if the opponent beats you to that strategically important position or if their grasp on it is just too strong? What would your plan B be?

Is it really better to sacrifice multiple lifeforms just to regain control of a room like Gen? Idealy, you'd be able to take it without the loss of lifeforms but that's usually not the case... while trying to break that hold, there's bound to be some sort of sacrifice (late hive, dead lifeform... something). At some point, you have to pull the plug and just find another way.

So, I'm interested to hear what some ideas would be in the event that you have to surrender a key location (assuming the key location isn't a hive location... there's not too much you can do but try to take that back. Obviously as Aliens, if you can get a hive up you're in business.) If there was just a big hole in the map where Generator Room is, how would you try and pinch the aliens off from 2 of their hives? If there was no cold turn, how would you try and lock one hive down while keeping the other in spitting distance?

Don't misinterpret this as a way of essentially playing the game differently than it's designed. Of course these rooms are important and should want to be controlled... this is just a hypothetical.
    ORGANBiTER | $_COOKIE['monster'] | UBiQ

Re: Plan B

It depends on the room, mainly.

Cargo on ns_tanith? Hell yes; as an alien, your number on priority should be keeping marines out of that room. From there, they control three nodes and the middle hive with relative ease (once they get set up), owing to the fact that even though the room is large, the fight still stays on the ground, and marines have LOS across the room from anywhere else in the room.

Cold Turn on ns_ayumi? (I got the map right, no?) Yeah, I'd probably try to break that too. Again, it's control of the middle hive, and two REAL close nodes with a third just a jump away at Eastern.

For the above two, if you've got a hive (active or building), those HAVE to go down. If you haven't started building one, you can try elsewhere, but if marines get there when the hive is up or going up, all bets are off; you NEED to clear that space.

Generator on ns_caged? That bugs me less. Yes, the marines have a good spot in the middle of the map, and the room is hard to assault, but more important is what they DON'T have. They DON'T have a hive (and certainly not the middle one) and while they're CLOSE to a number of nodes, I wouldn't assign them ownership of them thanks to the many other ways aliens have of getting to the nodes without needing to bother Generator itself. I think this room can be left out of the discussion; it's main problem for aliens is increased marine mobility, but it's not a dealbreaker like the others.

Now, as to the question at hand: what would I do OTHER than break these outposts? Chew nodes. If I have to cede victory to the marines at those spots, I need to in turn make sure they don't get anything else on the map. In particular, I need to make sure that the hive on the opposite side of the map is as open as I can make it, and as covered as possible when going up.

You can give up the chokepoint, but if you do, you've GOT to own the rest of the map.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface View Post
      Cold Turn on ns_ayumi? (I got the map right, no?)
      Yeah. Ayumi is correct. That's one of the only maps I actually know by name, and I've been playing since 1.04. I should really pay more attention to the names so I know what I'm voting for when Bast comes on :)

Gen is important on ns_marinesHaveAPitInTheirBase because from there you have pretty good access to miasma if it's getting hit, plus you can siege out 2 alien nodes all the while standing right in the middle of 2 hives.

My experience has been that when the marines have gen (assuming they haven't relocated to it), there will be a pretty solid deadlock until the fade or some other lifeform dies. Once that happens, since Aliens are down 2 nodes that they would probably otherwise have (west and ominous) nobody has any res and it takes a while for a new lifeform to come up. In the meantime the marines push forward and set up a siege or heaven forbid get into red room.

It works so well 9 times out of 10, it's on the level with running into the goalie with the puck in EA Sports' NHLPA. Hitting res is a definate must, no doubt. But even then, your's has been hit pretty hard because you don't have Gen node, miasma node, ominous node and west node. But the most that might do is <strong>level</strong> the playing field.

Comment

Originally posted by cookieMONSTER View Post
        But the most that might do is <strong>level</strong> the playing field.
        How the crap do you make text bold on this bad boy?

Comment

Originally posted by cookieMONSTER View Post
          Gen is important on ns_marinesHaveAPitInTheirBase because from there you have pretty good access to miasma if it's getting hit, plus you can siege out 2 alien nodes all the while standing right in the middle of 2 hives.

My experience has been that when the marines have gen (assuming they haven't relocated to it), there will be a pretty solid deadlock until the fade or some other lifeform dies. Once that happens, since Aliens are down 2 nodes that they would probably otherwise have (west and ominous) nobody has any res and it takes a while for a new lifeform to come up. In the meantime the marines push forward and set up a siege or heaven forbid get into red room.

It works so well 9 times out of 10, it's on the level with running into the goalie with the puck in EA Sports' NHLPA. Hitting res is a definate must, no doubt. But even then, your's has been hit pretty hard because you don't have Gen node, miasma node, ominous node and west node. But the most that might do is <strong>level</strong> the playing field.
          (Bolding is done with [b][/b] tags.)

Every marine relocate worth its salt is going to take you down a few nodes (which is why hitting the other nodes on the map is deathly important).

You're right about there being a deadlock, but what's key to remember is that deadlocks favor aliens. It's almost a law of nature that the longer games go on, the more likely aliens are to win. The loss of nodes can be overcome. The loss of a hive (especially the middle one) and the loss of mobility can not.
          [volun2]
          NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
          <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
          <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse