Impossible plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impossible plugin

My understanding is that an idea like this isn't possible because there's just no way to accurately quantify the aspects of NS in order to accomplish it.... but maybe I'm wrong.

While watching some friends play that Guitar Hero game, I noticed this meter which indicated which player had the edge in score. If it was in the middle it was tied, and if it was to one extreme it was an edge in favor of that respective player, and so on.

While playing NS you have a pretty good idea of if you're winning or not, but would something like that momentum/advantage meter be possible to do with a plugin for NS? I don't know the possibilties using all the AMX stuff whatsoever, so forgive me if it's completely crazy.

Now and then there are these epic games which are dominated by one team, but later swing in favor of the other against what seemed like impossible odds. I personally think it would be cool to have some sort of numeric or graphical representation of just how boned you were over a given timespan and then see how you managed to climb out of the hole and eventually win.

But again, I'm guessing this is just not going to happen. You'd have to figure the amount of res weighs heavily, number of hives, kill/death ratio, amount of upgrades... practically everything. Even if it is program-able, I think it's still next to impossible to accomplish because it would basically require a new science to be created just for the sake of a pretty obscure video game :)

But, if it is possible... man would I be a happy boy.
    ORGANBiTER | $_COOKIE['monster'] | UBiQ

Re: Impossible plugin

POSSIBLE? I think it might be. But you're right; there'd be a lot of math that would need to be created in order to make it happen: trying to value everything would probably drive many a sane man crazy.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Resource Towers!

There are / have been plug ins (that i know of) that keep track of how many RTs you have as in comparison to the aliens and vice versa, it showed up as something like --- YOUR RTS/Uncapped/ALIEN RTS(or rine). And i know that many people know you must win the res war to win the game, so possibly without actually revealing the numbers. Also it could calculate how many hives in relation to RTs and locations i suppose, also integrating kill to death ratio instead of strait kill count, for deaths give resources to the opponent.

I think if you had either a bar that is 100% and it would move so many % for how far you are wining, farther 0% is the enemy winning 100% is you've won (more or less)

I think a scoring meathod might work the best, capping an RT is something like a score of 5, losing one takes away that 5 (+ -5). Of course this would have to be different for marines and aliens as they cap at diff rates. for example aliens might get 10 or 15. Kills could be a point each, or so or you could reserve a 20% chunk that you get so much % of depending on your K:D ratio. Lifeforms would be something like 15, each marine upgrade goes to the effect of 5ish each maybe incrementing in amount for weapons upgrades. Perhaps alien lifeforms could be scored like marine guns and heavy units.

Don't try to bother to say (thats 110%) or something cause i'm not thinking of an actual system just throwing out suggestions...

I think the main one if you wanted something simple would be to do a res war meter, or a K:D ratio meter and not get it all complicated, if your getting rocked and dying alot your K:D is going to be really low thus a lower bar, if your winning it 'should' be higher. BTW i don't know how to write plugins so i couldn't even try to make one if i wanted (I know how to code in a few languages but don't know what it uses)

Last edited by Donat; 06-01-2007, 12:20 PM. Reason: Whopse

Comment

Allow me to type out K:D without making a smily face. =)

You can do that two different ways. You can either stick a [noparse] tag at the beginning of your post and a [/noparse] tag at the end to stop all smileys and brackets, or you can stick any random tag in the middle of the smiley like so: K:D

The extra tag will interrupt the processing of the smiley so you can type K:D without making a face.

Edit: Every time I edit or preview this post, the "intelligent" boards software removes half of my tags. Ok, do it the easy way then: look at the bottom of the new post section for the checkbox that says "disable all smileys in this post".

Comment

I thought the rez tower "meters" were

Your teams res nodes/uncapped res nodes/total res nodes on the map.

That would be a nice addition. It's not "spammy" as the text is small and it's quite helpful without giving "to much" info.

Comment

On a server like TGNS, knowing how many res towers the other team has is key information that really needs to stay secret. If that is freely available, it makes it too easy to ignore towers until you notice the count increment.

Same goes for a meter to measure who is winning. Marines see a jump in the favor of aliens... "2 minutes into the game? they must have just dropped their first chamber." "5 minutes in... hive is going up."

It might not work exactly like that, but you get the idea. You've got to be able to sneak yourself into a position of advantage or you'll be shot down every time you attempt the climb.
            Steam Community: | |

Comment

Back on topic: During the v2 development, the NS team added a display that periodically told everyone how many nodes were owned by each team. It was certainly nice to know, but thats information that really should be obtained by scouting, not by a plugin that gives you info for free. When NS went to version 3.0 that feature was intentionally removed.

As far as a plugin recording a teams win meter during the game, regardless of how it is calculated, I think it would be generally a bad thing to show during the game, as at best it will likely demoralize the team it determines to be losing. It might be interesting to view the results after the game though. Edit: Plus everything that Kormedi said.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                I think it would be generally a bad thing to show during the game, as at best it will likely demoralize the team it determines to be losing. It might be interesting to view the results after the game though. Edit: Plus everything that Kormedi said.
                I smell a HLTV plugin. :)

Comment

Actually, off subject but relevant, I want to see a plugin that lets you relocate your beacon.

Many, MANY times have I wanted to beacon during a relocate, but couldn't. Why can't I beacon to where my first obs was placed? I mean, how likely is it that Marines are going to get an obs up in the hive, or close enough for it to matter? And even if they do, shouldn't that be a fault of the Aliens, and not the Marines?

Or in the event that that's a bit too drastic, your first obs must be placed so far away from the comm chair like IP's. I realize that it's part of the game that makes it the way it is, but I still think that I should be able to set the beacon to where I need it to be. Why beacon to MS when my base is in Powersilo?

And ANOTHER THING! I want to be able to assign which PG has the most priority. That REALLY needs to be done.

So... there's your impossible plugins.

-Mom
                  Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

1) Assign beacon location to hive
                    2) drop shotguns
                    3) ?
                    4) Profit!
                    Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

Thats not how beaconing works yermo, (from what i know) When you beacon the marine team they are moved (teleported) or spawned depending back at the marine spawn points at the begging of the game.

Such is how it works, you'd have to make separate spawn points ALL over the map and then work out a trigger system to tell when you relocated there, and as far as i know that is hard as hell to do in HL1, you'd probably have to edit the map in some way as well.

PG priority is always good, but if i remember correctly when you use to use a PG it gave you a menu on which PG you wanted to go to, odd how that isn't in game now eh? :)

Comment

Originally posted by Donat View Post
                        PG priority is always good, but if i remember correctly when you use to use a PG it gave you a menu on which PG you wanted to go to, odd how that isn't in game now eh? :)
                        That was never part of the game, but it was a popular plugin for awhile. The only thing is, when you only have 2 pgs it actually slows you down. It doesn't get really useful until you have 4 or more PGs on the map, and I'm fine with the marines having a drawback to maintaining that many PGs.

Comment

Really? was it a plug in? Hmm, Thought it was part of the game for a while. Guess it was a popular plug in i suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Donat View Post
                            if i remember correctly when you use to use a PG it gave you a menu on which PG you wanted to go to, odd how that isn't in game now eh? :)
                            It was never in the game. You were probably playing on a server with a plugin. I was never a fan of that plugin, it put too much delay on phasing.

Comment

Well maybe we could take that plugin and create a more simplified version of it. If there are only 2 PG's on the map, then automatically phase. If there are more than 2, then display a menu.

Would it be possible to design a plugin so that an individual could set the priority PG for himself? IE: PG goes up at double, yet there is one at Sub. Person uses PG and a one time menu pops up that asks which place they want to set to be the default phase location. The next time that person spawns and they phase, it takes them directly to double instead of through sub.

I could see the commander issuing direct orders to individuals to have different PG's as a default using this plugin. Could make for some interesting game play.

-Mom
                              Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X