I hate humans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate humans

So let's talk kharaa strategy in the NS b4a world. Yes, I'm aware that b5 is due out in the near future. That's supposedly mostly bug fixes though, which means that tactics may change slightly and strategic concerns will mostly stay the same. So let's take a quick review of the strategic situation as it stands.

Our first stop on the tour is resources. As we all know, frontiersmen pool their res to be used by the commander as he sees fit. Kharaa, on the other hand, collect res individually to be spent how each player sees fit. It is generally acknowledged that the kharaa must coordinate these expenditures to remain competitive with the frontiersmen. Generally everyone not saving for some specific purpose will head out to drop a res node.

After establishing some income comes the inevitable decision of upgrade path. Unchained chambers makes this a far simpler consideration, but that is not yet a permanent feature of the NS world. Defense chambers are the upgrade of choice being that skulks are generally cannon fodder in the best of situations, and the advanced lifeforms are too expensive not to give carapace/regeneration.

In a best case scenario, kharaa now have an upgraded fade, a hive building, and 4-5 nodes. At this point the frontiersmen will generally push on one of the hives with a phase gate at their backs. Early warning is the kharaa's best defense against this threat. Once the phase is up, the frontiersmen can use their faster spawn times to overwhelm the kharaa units and will have an easy time of destroying the hive. This phase push is normally accompanied with shotguns making it extremely difficult to defend with skulks and very dangerous to commit the fade. Worse, if the frontiersmen have been able to acquire res, they can simply guard the phase while constructing siege cannons forcing the kharaa to engage on frontiersmen terms.

If the phase push succeeds the kharaa are generally on a downward spiral that is not easily corrected. If the phase push fails the kharaa are generally able to continue harassing the frontiersmen until enough res is saved to drop the third hive and have multiple advanced evolutions in the field.

This is the game format in my experience. Other observations are encouraged. I'll post later with my ideas for strengthing the kharaa strategy.

Re: I hate humans

Your guide is correct, but one-sided.

Learn from Bruce Lee, intercept with your own attack. Don't loose that fade trying to kill the sieges. Send him to hit Marine Start. Have everyone but one skulk and a fade hit the sieges/marines.

One skulk kills marine res nodes, the fade either does that (if MS is to heavily defended) or he hits nodes too. If they have electrified everything, send the skulk to MS. Don't ever let the other team set the pace. Don't let them force you into suicide attacks on a TF without someone else running the map.

Let them have that hive if you have to, but make them pay dearly for it.

Comment

Well said, Fenix. There is so much power in using the whole map in your attack, even if they're right outside your hive.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Yea that pretty much sums it up. =\ Best thing to do is have a good fade its pratically a must or good skulks. But one thing that I need to add. Alien players are too defeatist. I swear i was in a game where we lost the hive everyone thought we lost. I hit /res wow most of us are over the 30 mark. Everyone was like we lost i was like we have tons of res. They are like but no place to spend it. K find make places to spend it the plan was i go onos clear out a hive every skulk hits nodes and bothers marines and someone drops the hive i protect both hives. Guess what the aliens won.
        RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
        TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
        7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
        "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
        "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

I will often stay perma gorge with SoF after dropping my traditional 3-d chambers around the 3.5min mark. I am teh scout - hang out near hives and watch for (as Moi says) "evil marines." I do a little battel-gorgy, too -- forward healing the fade and whatnot. I call for backup and get it pretty quickly. The precence of a dedicated scout can not be understimated when fending of the marine PG rush. Leaves the fade free to harass where they see fit - they can usually get across the map pretty fast if no skulk is available to help.
          Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

Custom, I know I was the one talking back. I still don't know how our team managed that being as that we had the one hive and you going onos. Probably a better question is WHY did we have so much res in the first place.

Fenix, of course this is one sided. It's meant to help figure out where the kharaa weakpoints are.

That said, I've noticed that kharaa don't lose games in which they don't have res. They lose games in which frontiersmen have res. I think early kharaa strategy needs to shift from dropping res to denying it. The problem is that for all the "speed" that the kharaa possess, frontiersmen are every bit as fast and possess far better tools for base destruction(at least until second hive). I'm also finding that resource for kills is a horrible game construct.

Noticeably, I see balance from an RTS standpoint. I don't think it's possible to make this game work if the balance is judged from a strictly FPS one.

Comment

^^^Aliens need to do both drop res and deny it. Thats why the first thing i say when we start a round is that if you are saving or after you have dropped a node figure out where the marines are going/are and meet them there.
              RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
              TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
              7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
              "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
              "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

It's what I do as marines - pick a hive and run to the nearest node that the aliens would drop. If I'm right, I get an egg kill and deny the aliens an rt. If I'm wrong - I'm now the dedicated rt getter.
                Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X