Skulk movements?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skulk movements?

I am not a particularly good skulk, and I want to change that. One thing I wonder is how you guys close the gap between you and the marine so well, while side-strafing.

Once upon a time, there was a variable cl_sidespeed, that could be set high enough so that when running forward, if you strafed to the side, you would move very quickly in the lateral direction. I tried this last night and it did not recognize the variable. The problem now is that when I am running forward toward a marine, and I strafe left or right, I get very slow side movement (much slower than if I was not moving forward).

Does everyone else deal with this, or am I missing something?

Thanks.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Re: Skulk movements?

Hmm... I haven't noticed this. I'll have to pay closer attention when I play tonight.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Well if you aren't particularly good at closing ground, then I would suggest you practice ambush skulking till hive 2 with leap. Learn good ambush spots on maps and use walk. Ambush skulking works best early game obviously, and in good spots marines have no chances against you before you get 2 bites.

If you would rather take the marines head on, then either learn to bunny hop (which is not very hard, but can be frustrating at the start), or at the very least jump a lot as you close ground. Basically make yourself a harder target to track. Generally a skulk which stays on the ground is a dead skulk (although I ahve encountered people whose movements are so random it just toally throws you off lol).

Another tactic I like to use, is to be a distraction. Parasite, chuckle, pop your head out to get a marines attention while your buddies chop him down. This is a lot of fun, but generally requires some teammates with a brain (which unfortunately is not always the case).

As far as your side movement problem, I don't know what to say, I haven't encountered anything like that personally.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Don't be predictable.

Comment

Bunny hopping. But this goes straight out the window once marines learn to track a bhop. Its quite simple really. If they're curving left, they'll have to curve right once they land and jump again to keep from going in circles.

Comment

Originally posted by Lito
            going in circles
            *Note to self: test new bunnyhop-dodge skill tonight.*
            Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

<sigh> this is exactly why I am against scripts. Every "guide" i have read on b-hopping as an alien always starts with a script of some kind.

Comment

You can do bunny hopping as effectively as a script by using the mouse wheel. So there is no need abstain from bunnyhopping because you're anti-script.

Comment

Oh noes, it's the evil scripts that do everything for you.

Comment

bind mwheeldown "+jump" is a script.

wait, what? i'm not supose to post here.

Comment

i call for the banning of discussion on scripts.

nothing comes out of it, no one changes their mind, and both sides whine about the other being either "noob" or "cheaters"

someone asked for help and i tried to help. don't start flaming scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by Lito
                        You can do bunny hopping as effectively as a script by using the mouse wheel. So there is no need abstain from bunnyhopping because you're anti-script.
                        I never said I dont bunny hop (well I try to anyway). I just said every site I see that teaches you how to, always starts with some type of script.

For one, stop being an idiot nothing. That wasnt what I was talking about. I was talking about the script that was posted at the very top of the page (the author of the page even says its a script).. so please, stop with the defensive bullsh**.

man, its getting where you cant state an opinion around here with out clanners jumping all over you for it... I'm starting to think it isnt the scripts that are the problem but the clanners.

Comment

hehe.. i bunnyhop using my 1337 space bar! fear me!

Comment

Originally posted by _Ender_
                            <sigh> this is exactly why I am against scripts. Every "guide" i have read on b-hopping as an alien always starts with a script of some kind.
                            A 3jump script is the default method of allowing yourself to bunnyhop. It is the de facto standard, not only because it's been used for so long, but because it was the first way to bunnyhop. The CPL, the standard for competitive play for most games, including all Half Life mods, uses a 3jump script in it's default CPL GUI in games that allow it (TFC had one, so would NS if it were a CPL game). Scripting is built into the game engine for a reason, and it's still here for a reason. It's a powerful way of performing repetitive or simplistic commands without making the game automated. It's been around for 7 years for good reason. It's not going anywhere. It's not going to get removed. Get.Used.To.It. If you don't like them, fine. Don't use them. Any bunnyhop guide worth the time of reading will also tell you that you can use the mousewheel to bunnyhop. 3jump has simply been the way to do it for the longest time. Stop flaming scripts every time you have an opportunity to do so, and maybe those "evil nasty clan players" will stop giving you ****. When you throw around negative things about scripts for practically no reason, you're going to get flamed.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X