FireWater's Command Theory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FireWater's Command Theory

Lately I have kind of seen a decline in the commanding in all servers that I play in. Since I really don't care too much about the other servers, I'd figure I'd post my Command Theory here. Some sections apply both to Marines and Aliens, but it is mostly for Aliens

Its good to plan ahead, but not too far ahead.

For Marines here is a good starting point:

IP->Armory->Arms Lab->Armor 1. Optimally you should have armor 1 started before the 1:00 mark, but if you are little late no big deal.

Afterwards I would try to get either Weapons 1, or build an obs before Armor 1 is done and get phase tech. Or upgrade the armory early for A JP rush if the map permits it.

The key to being a great commander is being able to multitask, hurt the enemy while building up your own tech.

There are 3 things you can do to aid your team in achieving victory other than killing all the enemies. Assume all three of these things require successful combat to achieve

1)Build up/Cap RTs. Tech your little heart out, but realize that technology gets maximum benefit when it is better than what the enemy can throw at you. For example, a group of HMGers pre second hive will be more effective then when you get HMGs around the same time the second hive goes up. Exploit the fast tech as marines.

2)Destroy enemy tech/RTs. This pretty much goes hand in hand with building up. Try to slice or shoot down as many as those enemy RTs as you can. Also remember that an attack does not have to be game ending, or hive destroying. Some attacks can decoy enough for you to build up, or you may be able to clear out upgrade chambers, or kill a key unit. Don't get the mindset that when you attack a hive you have to destroy it, that will cost you more often than not. Attack, but not just for the sake of attacking, have a purpose to the attack. NEVER be afraid to retreat and save tech if you feel a battle cannot be won.

3)Attack and/or Destroy the enemy base. The latter is the result of executing #1 and #2 properly. Attacking can just mean you send one guy to harass guys in the hive. As I said in point #2, attack frequently, even if you cannot kill the hive. The pressure will be hard on the aliens, as they will divert most of the attention to the hive, and leave your tech, and your RTs alone.

With your strategies, try to think outside of the box a little bit. Do not be afraid to try something new MORE than once. Its tough to debate the effectiveness of a strategy if used just once. Just remember that if you do #1 and #2 well, #3 will be easy. #1 and #2 is pretty much standard to any RTS, so if you can do those well you will win. One more key thing to commanding is that you need to be able to make a plan, but at the same time if things don't go well, scrap that plan, and start thinking of a new one, while you are still commanding.

Thats half the fun for me anyways, it gets you to think on your toes.

For more information on commanding please visit http://www.nslearn.org articles section for more information.

I hope this helps

Re: FireWater's Command Theory

Many thanks, FW.

** moved to Tactics forum **
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I think this should be moved back because no one really reads this forum

Comment

This thread has 70 views. So unless Wyz is constantly mashing F5 over and over, I'd say about every member that plays NS here has either seen or read this.

Comment

I've never tested it, but I'm not sure that refreshing a page during the same browser session results in more reads.

Hate to get all factual during a joke, just thought I'd mention it. :)
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
            I've never tested it, but I'm not sure that refreshing a page during the same browser session results in more reads.

Hate to get all factual during a joke, just thought I'd mention it. :)
            It does continue to add "read counts" if you do a shift+refresh, otherwise it doesn't.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X