Rate me as a Com

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rate me as a Com

In the search for a stable commander besides our illustrious Wyzcrack, I have taken it upon myself to learn the art of "Yelling at marines enough so that they half-assed do what I say and then claim full-credit when we win (also know as commanding)."

Everyone should know my infamous "Early motion FTW" tactic, and dual obs setup.

I would like some feedback from those who have server under me. What do you view as my strengths? Where do my weaknesses llie? Have I blown an easy win because I lost perspective? Lay it out for me. Jokes are welcome, but I do warn that I will not apologize for my sometimes harsh tones I take with marines who don't follow my orders. I piss, I moan, I cry: but damn it (more often than not) I win.

I take pride in using my marines to force fades into situations in which I know they'll have to react in a certain way. I've won many games because my marines have siezed an opportunity I've setup for them to take the fade down early.

Also, sidenote: does anyone have any thoughts about first-game when they know I'm in the chair? Do you laugh and think of an easy win? Do you get worried and modify your tactics? I know that when wyz is in the chair, I had better make sure we win the res war. I fear the Wyz, but I seek to understand it and beat it.

PS: Keres is the curreny holder of the FSoUA for the diversionary phase gate at CC that let us wax Maint hive, alien upgrades, and a fade.

Re: Rate me as a Com

When I'm under your command, I like it. You don't just hemm and haw over what's to be done but rather give simple orders that aren't hard to follow. I never have to wonder when my upgrades are coming or anything that some comms forget.

I also don't mind the orders yelled (or spoken loudly) at marines. Half the time the marine was slacking and neds to wake up anyway.

Usually when I'm an alien and the marines kick our ass when you comm I think "figures...". You're a very good comm. I don't think I've ever seen you defeated by some trivial or minor oversight. It's always out skilled or something like that.

Comment

I'm a damn good commander and fairly useful on the ground as a marine. So it's very, very frustrating for me to see a competent commander do very well at the beginning of a round and then choke when things really get going mid-game. He just can't keep up. It's frustrating for me because I know better and have done well on the ground, but it's also frustrating because I can empathize with the commander and want him to enjoy the victory he so well prepared for in the early game (before he lost pace).

I've yet to have the experience under your command, and you've commed a few games with me on the ground. I enjoy having you command because you "get it". You know to get armor 2. You know to send welders out once we have it. You know to watch MT from the chair. You know you don't know everything, and you listen. You and I both enjoy fast pace, so we work well together, keeping the pressure on.

Things have gone so smoothly when I've been under your command (even if we lost) that I haven't paid close attention to what you could do better. I'll pay closer attention moving forward.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

You haven't noticed me choke late game because I started commanding when you went AWOL a while back. And when you came on, I differed the Com to you.

I remember games where during a hive siege, we'd start getting beaten back and I would just sit there staring at the screen not able to comprehend what went wrong. Feeling like the Leiutenant from Aliens. I'd go dead silent and just stare at my marines dying. It's a real crappy feeling.

I don't do that anymore. I'll make the comment "Guys, this game is lost, but I'll do my best to at least make them bleed for this win." Then, we pull of a miracle and win the game (and that's a great feeling).

You're right, it's about momentum. You lose it on one side of the map, you push it to another side. There are commanders on the TG server that will choke and go silent at a moment in the game where we need them most (I won't name names, but will give advice if so asked). As long as my team wants to keep going, we'll fight the fades with our bare hands if we have to.

I feel I should add: I feel I've failed somehow if I'm forced to rely on a Proto lab to win the game. Marines should be able to kill anything with a Level 3 Shotgun or HMG.

Comment

Well, I find that, when I'm a commander, it's either a slaughter or a hellish firefight to the end -- rarely in between. I've decided this is because the alien team either lacks the leadership to keep up with everything I throw at them, or... or.. what I *love*..... (and hate)....

.... a champion on the alien team. All skills on the ground being equal, all the aliens need is faith in a leader (or multiple leaders) who can coordinate alien movement as fast as I can coordinate marine movement (something at which I excel from the chair) and I've got my hands full.

Ask Berzerker about me and silence. He's always quick to call me out on silence from the chair. I get lazy when I do too well for too long, and then I go up against a really trim, fit alien team and I can get "winded" if the first few pushes fail.

Many thanks for your interest in commanding. Few things* give me satisfaction like being allowed to play marines from the ground under the command of a competent commander.

* one of them was the welding miracles TBAG and I managed on co_core the other day. That was HOT TBO.... HOT.
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
            There are commanders on the TG server that will choke and go silent at a moment in the game where we need them most (I won't name names, but will give advice if so asked).
            I'd love advice. I know I can be a bit of a silent comm at times but that's only when either people are doing the right thing and nothing needs to be said or the situation is hopeless and nothing useful can be said. ;)

As far as yourself TheFenix, I have nothing bad to say at the moment because I can't honestly isolate and remember the games you comm'ed and what went well or went badly. Of course, since I tend to remember the bad comms more than the good I'd say that's a good sign. I'll try to make some mental notes the next time you comm on the server.

Anyway, yeah I'd love to hear back any advice on my comming style...
            Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

I got ejected from the chair for the first time yesterday. I believe someone got upset that I wouldn't give them a medpack when they were at 80% health, but that's just a hunch. So take my words with a grain of salt. :)

For my money, the one thing that separates the good comms from the great comms is the concept of the whole map. It's very easy to get caught up with the one spot you're trying to siege out or the hive you're rushing and lose the rest of the map for your trouble. That said, I think you're pretty damn fine in that respect, probably better than I'd rate myself. I'm only good when I have people on the ground telling me what's going on out there. :P
              [volun2]
              NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
              Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
              <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
              <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse