The state of the marine game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The state of the marine game

We are all guilty of it. Maybe in the beginning of the game we stick together because we all started in the same place, but when we start spawning one by one we tend to go off on our own. Yes you know what you are doing. Yes you are helping the team by getting that open node, yes you are saving another node. But it will not win the game.

The only way for marines to win the game is by sticking in groups.

Teamwork does not necessarily mean sticking in groups, it means helping the team. But teamwork alone will not win the game. Teamwork, tactics (not strategy - thats the comm's job), and cohesiveness will win the game.

I'm sure we can all elaborate more. *hint* *hint*

Re: The state of the marine game

When hive rushing with level 3 shotguns.....SHOOT THE &*(^($$%^ HIVE.
    *mutters*
    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

You guys are going to start hearing me scream... and I mean flooood the voicecomm.... about this.... during hive rushes. Guys, we've evolved from a game that required one jetpack and a little bit of skill to down a hive to a knock-down, drag-out, get-the-hell-out-of-my-hive-room-now epic battle just to kill a hive IF... *IF* you don't get it done in the first 10 seconds you're in the room.

If 7 marines with shotguns ALL shoot the SAME thing in NS, it dies NOW, regardless of what it IS. People need to understand that, and they need to start applying that understanding... that trust... to their marine gameplay.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I know one school of thought that has interfered with killing hives recently: the "protect the gun I'm carrying" mantra. In a hive rush, you're going to die. That gun is going to fall, and it's probably not going to be recovered. The commander knew this when he equipped you and sent you in. Ignore the fade, ignore the skulk, and put 5 blasts into that hive before you croak. If everyone does that, the hive falls. If you only get 1 shot in because you switched over to aiming at that fade, you die anyways, and the hive doesn't get hurt. Killing the fade only set the aliens back a bit in res. Killing the hive sets them back roughly the same amount of res AND minutes and minutes of time AND abilities.

Even if it's not shotguns but LMGs, one clip each from 7 marines is still an awful lot of damage. You're probably not going to have the luxury of reloading and getting another clip off before you're killed, so make that first clip count where it hurts the aliens the most.
        "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

Comment

Originally posted by verbose
          I know one school of thought that has interfered with killing hives recently: the "protect the gun I'm carrying" mantra. In a hive rush, you're going to die. That gun is going to fall, and it's probably not going to be recovered. The commander knew this when he equipped you and sent you in. Ignore the fade, ignore the skulk, and put 5 blasts into that hive before you croak. If everyone does that, the hive falls. If you only get 1 shot in because you switched over to aiming at that fade, you die anyways, and the hive doesn't get hurt. Killing the fade only set the aliens back a bit in res. Killing the hive sets them back roughly the same amount of res AND minutes and minutes of time AND abilities.

Even if it's not shotguns but LMGs, one clip each from 7 marines is still an awful lot of damage. You're probably not going to have the luxury of reloading and getting another clip off before you're killed, so make that first clip count where it hurts the aliens the most.
          That all sounds good and well but sometimes you need to kill the skulks around you from taking all your marines out.

Comment

meh... we could debate the reasoning behind decisions when entering a hive room all day long.

It just kills me to see marines ignore a direct order to shoot the hive.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by BATMAN.
              That all sounds good and well but sometimes you need to kill the skulks around you from taking all your marines out.
              Armor 2+ combined with fancy jumping will let you get at least 4 rounds out of your shotgun. If I'm spamming meds like I usually do: you should last even longer.

If you all die before taking down the hive because you were all shooting it and got killed by skulks: that's fine. It's my fault as a commander as I gave that order.

If a hive rush fails because 2 rines were shooting the hive and the rest were shooting skulks: that's your fault and I'm going to bitch about it all day long.

Your job as a grunt is to make tactical decisions based around a commander's strategy. If that strategy it to shoot nothing but the hive, your tactics should involve nothing but you deciding what will let you fire the most rounds into that hive.

Comment

That is understandable tactics from both points of view. I have noticed completely different comm strategies being used, as some prefer you die while building something, and yet others get angry when you are building something and die in the process. For example, I've had some comms get upset while building a phase gate and attacking enemies in the process, while others want the focus on the phase gate so they can beacon and get everyone through it as fast as possible.

When I'm given an order to shoot the hive and nothing else, I shoot the hive and nothing else, I understand the shotgun rush strategy as I have seen it be successful in the past. I do understand the frustration when people start shooting at other things instead of the hive.

Maybe in the future, a comm could prepare the hive rushers on exactly what is going to have to happen in order to make the future objective become attainable, and that means following orders regardless of the obstacles at hand.

Also, I would like it better if a comm would let us know which is more important: the building of the structure at hand or the survival of the marines at hand to continue afterwards. I often become confused due to certain comms wanting different things, and it seems maybe I should ask more questions about the orders themselves.

Such as when a siege factory is build near a phase gate so a hive can be attacked by siege guns. Sometimes I've noticed we go there without a welder, though we have turrets, the aliens are going to attack the crap out of that fortified area as best they can to continue to survive. If there is not enough res for a welder, that makes sense too.
                "There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who know binary and those who do not. "

Comment

Welders are underestimated in the game. So many comms do not drop them. Welders repair damaged structures, and most importantly, repair marine armor.

Here's my 2 cents: Every hive rush or siege shold include atleast 1 or 2 welders. ESPECIALY if there are any heavys or jetpacks going.

A welder in the field is the difference between droping a med pack, weld, and having an instant new marine, or waiting for them to spawn back in, hunp the armory, and get back to where they were.
                  birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X