Framerate help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framerate help

I'm sure many of you have heard me complain about my framerate issues and I was hoping that someone could help me try to find a solution to the problem, or at least find a better way to lessen it.

Here's the problem:
    On first loading any half-life mod (though NS is the worst) my FPS is highly unstable for some reason, almost constantly moving from between 4 FPS to 39 (at the moment I have fps_max set on 40 and that seemed to have helped a little). After awhile (between 15 minutes to an hour) the FPS will stabilize, and stay that way except for a few seconds after a map change.

I thought it was a lack of ram, but adding another 256 mbs didn't remove the problem (though it has noticable decreased it). At this point I'm thinking it must be my graphics card, which isn't that good (though it should be more than enough to run half-life, which is what 7 years old?). The thing that I don't understand, and makes me think this is a software, not hardware related problem, is that this just suddenly started happening about 2 months ago. Before that I had no problems.

Anyways, can anyone help me? I've already done a few changes to my configuration, but haven't been able to find a full list for NS configurations for streamlining.
    "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Re: Framerate help

This is going to sound old and tired, but is there even the slightest possibility there's something running in the background now that wasn't running a couple of months ago? If you haven't added any resident apps (on purpose), you may wish to consider grabbing something like MS Antispyware to scan for undesirables. Also check your running processes to see if anything looks odd (like something besides System Idle Process taking up a lot of CPU usage when nothing is running in the Taskbar).

Comment

The same 30-32 processes from several months ago are there, and nothing seems to taking an odd amount of resources. I'll scan for spyware...
      "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Try putting these in your usercfg.cfg

cl_dynamiclights "0"
        cl_highdetail "0"
        cl_himodels "0"
        r_detailtextures "0"
        r_decals "200.000000" (this limits the number of bullet holes and wall marks)

These commands turn down a graphics a bit, it still looks like normal ns, nothing blocky or anything. I use all these commands even though I have a good computer because I always want a constant 100 fps, it really helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Card AKA Karrd
          Here's the problem:
          On first loading any half-life mod (though NS is the worst) my FPS is highly unstable for some reason, almost constantly moving from between 4 FPS to 39 (at the moment I have fps_max set on 40 and that seemed to have helped a little). After awhile (between 15 minutes to an hour) the FPS will stabilize, and stay that way except for a few seconds after a map change.
          Weiiiird... I can't help but think this sounds like some kind of cooling fan issue... My theory is that your video card's fan has to "spin up" when it goes into hardcore 3d acceleration mode, or something. This doesn't explain why the problem has only started happening in the last 2 months, though.

The only thing I can think of trying is to open your computer case and maybe point a stationary floor fan into it. If the problem recurs with this setup then the problem is probably unrelated to cooling.
          Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

If its a cooling problem you might want to try dusting out your computer. Get all the dust out from in your video card fan and cpu fan. To dust it out you can use one of those cans of compressed air. I dusted out my computer when it got slow once and that seemed to help. Hope you can figure out the problem.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X