Motion Tracking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motion Tracking

I noticed there doesn't seem to be a thread here about MT, so I thought that I'd see what everyones opinions on it were. Thinking about it, MT seems to be infrequently used on the TG server (excluding late game), and I'm wondering why.

My analysis of MT:
    1) it allows the commander and the troops to get a better grasp of the overall situation on the map
    2) it allows the marines as a team to begin reacting to a move by the kharaa even before the move is made
    3) it greatly increases the life expectancy of marines by effecting increasing thier reaction time to suprise attacks
    "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Re: Motion Tracking

I hesitate with MT for the same reasons I hesitate with dropping HMGs: I hate spending money on something that I don't think is going to be used effectively.

I've observed that marines tend to get ambushed with MT and allow aliens to work corners when they're carrying HMGs.

But take what I say with a grain of salt, as I get my ass handed to me in this build's chair. Maybe I should start using more MT and HMGs....
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I seriously think we should get the comms to get early MT for awhile on the server. For awhile, until everyone adapts again, the marines will probably win more often, becuase the way kharaa is generally played right now would be very vulnerable to tactical and more importantly strategic use of MT.

Comment

I'll consider that when I command.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Card AKA Karrd
          I seriously think we should get the comms to get early MT for awhile on the server.
          Translation: get FeniX to play more often, and by extention: command.

I think I use MT more when I'm in the chair than when I'm on the ground. For me, it's an easy way to get a feel for the "flow" of the game. In a small game: 4 vs 4: early motion is a must.

In larger games with smart marines: it can be devastating. A group of 4 LMG marines with liberal use of the "C" key can take a fade down in no time. Woe be to the alien team who doesn't protect their hive when I go into "Ninja" mode with MT. I love sneaking up PGs for the shotty rush.

Although, it is extremely frustrating to watch a fade "blip" on my mini-map go right into a group of armed marines, getting a swipe off before he even takes one bullet. They aren't paying attention and it costs games.

Comment

Iin the few games I do comm, I almost always MT first upgrade. Especially now that the cost is lower and armor1 isn't quite as necissary as it used to be. giving bad marines MT has no real affect, but giving good marines MT, especially early, is a devistatingly effective counter to MC, IMO. You cna still be ambushed, but usually aliens have to be in an ambush spot for some time, and I find most aliens (especially me =P) tend to be impatient/aggressive types.
            a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
            Celibacy is not Hereditary.
            Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
            Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
            Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

The biggest advantage in my opinion is the strategic one it gives you. Until SCs start getting placed, the marines have essentially won the recon war, meaning they almost by defualt have tempo. That I think more than makes up for the high cost of MT.

Comment

I don't agree with you second point. You should not be reacting to what the enemy is doing the enemy needs to be reacting to what your doing.
                RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by RGM-79N_GM_CUstom
                  I don't agree with you second point. You should not be reacting to what the enemy is doing the enemy needs to be reacting to what your doing.
                  True, but not in all cases. I can react to a fade wasting time over on one side on the map, by hitting the other side.

Now, if that fade is over on the other side of the map because I had one marine make noise building a diversionary PG, then I am God (still remember when Keres sucker'd the aliens at comp core by building a "fake" phase while we pounded maintenance into dust).

Good times......

Comment

Reacting to the opposition intel (MT) is favorable. Reacting to their actions ("phase.. fade at eclipse") is unfavorable.

Comment

What I meant by effectively increasing reaction times is that a marine (or at least the smart ones) will know that something is coming towards them much sooner than without MT, and thus have much more time to mentally react to it. As opposed to normal, where you have to wait until you hear or see the enemy.

Comment

MT, a bane and a blessing.
                        MT is all about map control. It lets you decide where the fight takes place. Granted much favor to your victory of battle to battle. It also allows awareness. Quite frankly it allows marines to kill aliens more effectivly. Something i've been wanting to do quite frankly.
                        Pros:
                        Anti-ambush
                        Pro sneak phase
                        increases marine defences
                        Cons:
                        Anti-tech
                        Individual Marine dependent
                        Makes aliens more defensive

Quite frankly, MT makes aliens not attack marines, but attack things marines can't get to in time. This prevents inflow of res from kills. only thing you'll be fighting is packs of aliens with a fade in the center. not only that, you won't have level 2 weapons, if level 1 huge downer. but, it does provide much map control.

Something i wanted to expierment with, but never felt i had a good enough control with doing.
                        1 arms lab, 1 ip, 1 armory, 2 obs, PG, MT, Armor 1,3 phase gates.
                        particularly this is location (PGs) defensive, and outer, (outside PG block points) offensive.

For example, get the basic setup, base PG, and others near/at choke points.
                        example: NS_NOTHING (i think), cargo hold and mother interface/subspace hall, allows 3 marines to control 5 nodes, while the rest of your marines push on the rest of the map...
                        those nodes being, no name, mother interface, subspace, mess hall, and shipping refueling, while the rest of your marines push aux gen/mother/port.
                        Pros: Marines can get to no name/mess/mother all from cargo quickly.
                        Marines got the advantage of terran, and a huge one at that. + MT so the aliens can't ambush/suprise marines.
                        Cons: 45+20+35+ + + + res
                        lots of res wasted where it could of been used much more effectivly, perhaps.
                        (level 3 weapons level 2 armor, verses, level 1 armor, MT)
                        (45 for the PG's, 20 for the extra obs, 35 for the MT, but now its 15, so it changes things, a lot)

Comment

subspace/mother/port is ns_nancy.

silo/via/cargo is ns_nothing.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X