EVE: Dust 514

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVE: Dust 514

Anybody playing it? It's in open beta and free on the PS Store. If you haven't heard of it...check it out. It's got potential for decent tactics and teamwork.

http://dust514.com/
    | | |

Re: EVE: Dust 514

Originally posted by Atomic Dog View Post
    It's got potential for decent tactics and teamwork.
    There's very few games that when I see those words I can actually believe them. Especially on console.

I haven't been on my PS3 in a couple of months, but I'll check it out since it's free. First look at the photos made me think of Crysis.

Comment

Holy spit, AD lives!!!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mangeface View Post
        There's very few games that when I see those words I can actually believe them. Especially on console.

I haven't been on my PS3 in a couple of months, but I'll check it out since it's free. First look at the photos made me think of Crysis.
        I've been playing for about a week now. My firsts thoughts are that it seems the complexities of character creation keep a lot of the riff raff away. The in-game community seems cool enough. I've manage to have quite a few battles falling in with players who are more into teamwork than lone wolfing it, but the lone wolf does exist and thrive here as well. It mostly seems to be a matter of making friends out of like minded players which is easy enough within the game.

The struggle to gain and lose useful and expensive gear also seems to have an effect on how players determine their strategies. I find myself a lot more cautious when using my more expensive gear versus when I'm using cheap militia gear.

There is a real cash option to buy some boosters or advanced gear, but that doesn't seem to have any real impact on game balance. I hold my own just fine and I've not put a penny into it. The real cash (Aurum) gear only allows you to buy early weapons and gear that you'd otherwise have to grind for to achieve later. There is no Aurum item though that is greater in ability than any of the best non-Aurum gear.

Overall I think it's pretty fun for a free-to-play and there's quite a few mature and team oriented players and corps already in the game and that's definitely a bonus.
        | | |

Comment

Long time EVE player, used to play pretty heavily on the BF2142 TG server(supporting member while I did), been looking for a good group of team oriented folks to get into dust with. Are there any other TG members who play?

Comment

I'd be willing to give this a crack. About to move cross country which means I'll be offline about a week but I'll DL when I get settled.
            "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
            He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

This was given full release on Tuesday. I'll give it a DL, I've been hearing a lot of comparisons to MAG.

Comment

I've played this game for a few days and I've had quite a lot of fun, some interesting things definitely happened, I got in touch with one of my friends who plays EVE Online and even got him to fly to a planet I was fighting on and he managed to drop an orbital strike on the planet, it was truly epic.

I would recommend this to people, it was not exactly the best direction EVE could have took but it took a walk in a much different direction, give it a try, it'll be worth it, Have Fun.

Here's a good review of the game that encompasses my opinion http://www.corsual.com/en/dust-514/reviews

-Crazi
                sigpic

warning excessive amounts of caffine may apply... results may vary

Comment

Two things scratch me the wrong way about this game. First, all weapons, equipment, dropsuits, etc... deplete every time you die. That means, unless you want to use the inferior default builds, you have to be careful about how you earn and spend your ISK - or spend real dollars (Aurum) - to keep your soldier outfitted with weapons you prefer. While this isn't such a bad concept for equipment, grenades, and the like, it seems pretty horrible to do this with weapons and sidearms. Additionally, it makes it very tough to get any vehicle besides the free buggy that's available. And worse, if you join in and get nuked in your shiney and expensive new tank, it's gone - for good. Of course, you can get the blueprints, which give you unlimited copies of that vehicle or weapon - for real money.

This game crosses the thin line into uncomfortable territory on how hard it tries to extract money from the player. I like the depth but I can't stand the constant item management and purchasing, and the shameless push to spend real money. It's nice that it's a free-to-play title but it seems completely impractical to play without dumping at least $50 or $60 bucks to get your skills and gear to where they need to be.

The bigger problem is that the game seems to be built on top of an engine that's not quite ready for prime time. Movement and aiming is very floaty. The maps are a little too large and ill-planned. Devs seem to have balanced the maps for vehicle play, but so few people are actually spawning in tanks, transports, etc... that it usually comes down to infantry fighting over one or two objectives, with the rest of the map being a ghost town.

Also, something generally feels sort of sterile about the game. The action and intensity of a game like Battlefield are not present. The biggest problem right now is that aiming with the Dualshock control sticks does not feel accurate. There's some sort of pointer acceleration, it feels like, and it's too easy to drag your aim past your target when you're trying to place your crosshairs. The aimpoint just wants to keep going, sort of swaying with the inertia of the direction you were moving it. Very annoying after playing a lot of Battlefield, where the aiming and movement is very snappy and tight.

I'd heard Dust favorably compared to MAG, which I played extensively, so I fired that title up to see. It's night and day. MAG, at least in my eyes, is a much more solid shooter both mechanically and in it's character progression elements. In fact, I've sort of gotten back into MAG in my experiment to compare it to Dust. I will pop back into Dust occasionally, but as someone who doesn't play EVE or know anyone who does, the meta stuff isn't really there for me so there isn't much there to keep me coming back right now.

Comment

I've been having a blast on this game. It's had its ups and downs mind you...but all and all, this has been a pretty fun time since I've started playing again after the recent update. There's a lot of room for teamwork and strategy in this game, unfortunately, not everyone who plays does so with that in mind. Fortunately, there's a lot of great corps out there who do understand who teamwork is what this game is about. I'm always surprised that there isn't any TG presence in Dust. Early in its release the game had some problems, and still does...but things are definitely improving.

Hit me up if you're playing. My PSN is Out_Fawkesd.
                    | | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X