Ready for 1080p?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready for 1080p?

I just got my New TV in preparation for the PS3 launch later this year...

So, seeing as how no one has ever posted in here before, I thought I'd kick it off and ask a question.

How many of you are going to upgrade you home entertainment to full HD in order to enjoy PS3/Bluray (and now XBOX360) in full 1080p?

I'm not sure that a lot of games will support it, most will probably go woth 1080i but I'm sure a few AAA titles will make a point of supporting it.
    Do or do not, there is no try....
    -- Yoda, Dagobah

Re: Ready for 1080p?

Originally posted by gunjunkie View Post
    I just got my New TV in preparation for the PS3 launch later this year...

So, seeing as how no one has ever posted in here before, I thought I'd kick it off and ask a question.

How many of you are going to upgrade you home entertainment to full HD in order to enjoy PS3/Bluray (and now XBOX360) in full 1080p?

I'm not sure that a lot of games will support it, most will probably go woth 1080i but I'm sure a few AAA titles will make a point of supporting it.
    I'm actually doing the opposite. I'm getting a PS3 rather than an XBOX 360 because I want to be able to take advantage of my existing 1080p capable home theatre system.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Even though I shouldn't say this, M$ announced 1080p support via firmware update at TGS.

You should still buy the PS3 though...:row__523:
      -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

I'm also getting the PS3 to use with my Panasonic - PDP-4360HD. However I have a feeling that it will be mostly used for Singstar evenings in HD format :)
        --
        VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

Originally posted by gunjunkie View Post
          Even though I shouldn't say this, M$ announced 1080p support via firmware update at TGS.

You should still buy the PS3 though...:row__523:
          I saw that, but It wasn't entirely clear to me if they are going to provide native 1080p or if they were going to upscale/upconvert to 1080p. I was under the impression they were just going to upscale to 1080p and it wasn't going to be native.
          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Mmm, I guess upscale. Might be a bit late to provide native at this point. On the other had, I can hardly wait to see MGS4 in its 1080p native goodness...
            -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

1080p does not matter

comments?

Comment

I have an old HDTV with 1080I I wonder how that will work. I plan on getting a PS3 if I can. Ill get a new tv in two years.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                  Well, yes and no. I've seen stuff running at 1080p/60Hz and there is a visible difference between that and 1080i. Movies may be one thing. Right now, yes, most old film stock encoded with MPEG2 may show no appreciable difference, but thats not to say other transfer technology may not be appied in the future. There can be visible artifacting with 1080i based on the quality and latency of the interlacing process, and not all progressive scan TVs use the method he linked. There is also a lot to be said for the latency difference between the 2 display methods. You will get a lot less ghosting with 1080p.

Besides, its a sexeh TV :)
                  -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo View Post
                    I have an old HDTV with 1080I I wonder how that will work. I plan on getting a PS3 if I can. Ill get a new tv in two years.
                    Most titles, I suspect, will probably cater to 720p/1080i. There will be a few high end titles that will support 1080p natively. It takes a fare bit of work to optimize a game so that its running full 1080p resoultion at a rock solid 60 Hz. Most studios don't have the budget or quailty control necessary to make this effort, but some can (and will).

Basically, it should work fine. 1080p is in many ways fluff for those that can afford it, but there will be some content that caters to this.
                    -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo View Post
                      Same here.

I don't usually buy any condsole until there is a game I want to play on it. I am pretty sure I will get the Wii at launch due to Zelda, but PS3.......I will get it eventually and it all depends on their launch lineup.
                      Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

720p is good enough for me.
                        Current member of the

Comment

Originally posted by Zid View Post
                          720p is good enough for me.
                          same here. you people have way too much money.

Comment

I just bought a 42", 720p samsung plasma, and did a LOT of research. The bottom line is that when viewing a ~50" screen from 10 feet away, your eyes can't physically discern the difference between 1080 and 720 lines. Sit closer, or get a larger screen, and the pixels will be large enough to your eye to reveal the additional detail. (With 20/20 vision, it is possible to resolve 1/60th of a degree of an arc... any detail smaller than that won't be detectable. To demonstrate, stand 5ft back from this montitor and try to see the dot above this i)

source: http://www.carltonbale.com/blog/2006...p-does-matter/

from another good discussion:
                            Originally posted by CruelInventions
                            The independent experts all tend to agree on this point.. 1080p is just about the least important factor in picture quality particularly if you are seated outside the physical boundaries where our human eye can no longer discern the resolution differences. This is a sliding distance scale which depends on screen size in relation to seating distance. Here's one such chart example:

http://hdguru.com/wp-content/upload...tance_chart.pdf

Color accuracy, contrast, black levels, scaling/processing all come before resolution in importance. The smaller the panel, the less important resolution becomes UNLESS you will be using the panel as a computer monitor (where you'll often be seated within 4ft. of the display, and at a distance that close, you will much more likely notice & appreciate the difference). On a 37" panel, for example, you have to be within 5ft. to tell the difference. And that's under ideal circumstances.

Disregard any poster who suggests otherwise. They are seeing something other than the true difference between 1080p & 720p when they claim they can tell the difference even on smaller (37"-42") panels beyond 5-6ft. The difference they claim to see is likely to be in the processing of non-native signal, i.e., panels will typically display their native rate better than they can a lesser resolution which the panel then has to scale to match it's own.

If you have a 1080p 42" panel, for example, assuming for a moment that you are seated outside the optimal seating boundary for fully resolving (seeing) 1080p content, the panel will still often look better displaying 1080p content merely because it doesn't have to scale the resolution. Feed the 1080p panel some other lesser resolution which then must be upscaled to match the panels 1080p native rate, then on all but the most expensive panels with excellent processing, the image will look inferior not because 720p is a lesser resolution, but because the panel simply cannot do a very good job scaling it. Or, maybe the panel handles scaling these duties well, but the particular 1080p model just so happens to have better color rendition, contrast, etc., than another particular example of a 720p panel, and as a result, it looks better under any circumstances, regardless of their comparative resolution capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                              Wow no offense but that guy is a bit ignorant. Yes almost all movies are shot at 24 fps. The 1080p or 1080i is the resolution not the frame rate.

Second if anything 1080i has 60 frames it's just interlaced is pieced together by two sets of frames, thus displaying at 30 frames when put together.

Thirdly, the statement "All HDTV broadcasts and virtually all games will be limited to 720p or 1080i for the foreseeable future." is doubly ignorant. Ever heard of 2K? 4K? Ultra High Definition? It's here. They're filming it. Look up the Red Camera, a 4K, a reasonably priced, ultra high definition camera available for consumers.

The BBC, ESPN, and countless others are providing their brodcasts in 1080p, not to mention DVDs.

I plan on getting a 1080p set because I have a standard definition set. It's a no brainer when I can pay $1100 for a Vizio 1080p 50 inch :D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X