I know.. I know..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know.. I know..

Trying to have a rational conversation in the Digg Gaming News area is less productive than putting your genitals through a meat grinder.

In any case; I got sick of all the Sony bashing over stupid things like Blu-Ray so I put up a rather long response. Feel free to click that green thumbs-up next to my name and digg me up! Lord knows I need it!

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Jaffe_I_...n_PS3#c6128140
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: I know.. I know..

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
    putting your genitals through a meat grinder.
    Even reading that makes me wince. I signed up for a Digg account *just* to give you the +rep.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Wow, I hope everybody reads your comment. You sir, are what 95% of other diggers AREN'T: informed.

that responce basically says it all right there.
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

I can't argue business sense too well. My only beef with Sony is that their interviews and marketing tactics are over-saturated with marketing speak, sometimes outright lies, and sometimes outright offensive. alliwantforxmasisapsp comes to mind, an example of destructive viral marketing that assumed that gamers are all MTV freaks and wangstas. There's also the case of the billboards in England for the white PSP that showed a white woman throttling a black woman.

The PS2 was brilliant, and is still selling brilliantly enough, that it may very well be great business sense for Sony to do what their doing with the PS3, with PS2 gains offsetting PS3 losses.

Comment

Originally posted by Karkianman101 View Post
          I can't argue business sense too well. My only beef with Sony is that their interviews and marketing tactics are over-saturated with marketing speak, sometimes outright lies, and sometimes outright offensive. alliwantforxmasisapsp comes to mind, an example of destructive viral marketing that assumed that gamers are all MTV freaks and wangstas. There's also the case of the billboards in England for the white PSP that showed a white woman throttling a black woman.

The PS2 was brilliant, and is still selling brilliantly enough, that it may very well be great business sense for Sony to do what their doing with the PS3, with PS2 gains offsetting PS3 losses.
          We've been down this Sony road before. I think one important thing to keep in mind is that just because YOU are a gamer doesn't mean that every advertisement related to gaming is targeting you specifically. Viral marketing works and works well. Tactical Gamer uses viral marketing almost EXCLUSIVELY as a method for growth and it really has done well for us. I didn't like the alliwantforxmasisapsp bit, it didn't appeal to me, but that doesn't mean it didn't appeal to whatever group of people they were trying to target. To us, that campaign was laughable, but if it appealed to a few thousand inter-city-rapper-wanna-bes, it did the job. Hell, it got Sony so much attention that they probably don't care if it was liked or not as long as people were paying attention to their company and products.

I think the PS3 will come of age soon, it truly is a next-gen console as opposed to Microsoft's "this-gen" console.

Usual disclaimer: I have an Xbox 360 and I love it. I do not own a PS3.

Comment

Originally posted by ednos View Post
            I signed up for a Digg account *just* to give you the +rep.
            Ditto.

Even though I still think that Sony missed the boat on this one... Time will tell.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
              Ditto.

Even though I still think that Sony missed the boat on this one... Time will tell.
              They missed the boat? I think they may have set sail before the passengers were on board. They're all in rowboats trying to catch up at the next port. :)

Comment

They missed the boat? I think they may have set sail before the passengers were on board. They're all in rowboats trying to catch up at the next port. :)
                That could be. But what's the last console that had an unsuccessful launch, but that became popular later? I think Sony will have to add something to the PS3, rename it and relaunch it in a year or two.
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

That could be. But what's the last console that had an unsuccessful launch, but that became popular later? I think Sony will have to add something to the PS3, rename it and relaunch it in a year or two.
                  What defined the launch as unsuccessful? I can't find the numbers, but IIRC the PS3 sold better in its first four months than the PS2 did. Okay. I did find some numbers. Make of them what you will.

In the UK, The PS3 sold 165,000 units in the first two days. The Wii sold 105,000 units in the same time period. Microsoft only sold 50,000 units in their first two days in the UK.

In the US, the PS2 sold 11.3 million units in its first 18 months. Nintendo is only expecting to sell 4 million units in their first 14 months. Not sure what that means or how it relates to the PS3. Can't find realistic projections on Sony's estimates for the first 12-18 months of the PS3.

Nexgen wars claims that the PS3 has sold 2.8 million units so far. The Wii 6.5 million, the XBox 360 is around 10.5 Million. VGCharts is showing 1.058M units for the PS3 so far and 1.851M units on the Wii. Their historical charts show 1.3M units sold in the first 4 months for the PS2. The 360 grabbed 1.3M units in its first 4 months as well.

I don't think they've sold as well as the Wii, but I wouldn't say that their launch was unsuccessful. In the 2006 Christmas market there was a LOT of competition and only so many Christmas dollars to be spent. Lets see how these numbers look after the 17th when people have their tax return dollars! :) EDIT: Looking at the historicals for the consoles on VGCharts, it doesn't seem like April provides any shift in sales volume for anyone, at least no shift other than down. :(

Needless to say, looking at the historicals it's pretty apparent that the success of a console is definitely not defined in its launch. The PS2 had a weaker launch than either the Xbox or the Xbox 360 yet it STILL outsold the 360, PS3 and Wii by a very wide margin this past Christmas season.

Who is going to win the great console war of 2007? IBM. They make the Cell (PS3), Broadway (Wii) and Xenon (XBox 360) processors that run all three of these suckers!

Comment

What defined the launch as unsuccessful?
                    Market demand? The fact that they're sitting on shelves? The fact that everyone is making fun of them?

I'm wondering if your numbers represent retail sales, or shipping units?
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Market demand? The fact that they're sitting on shelves? The fact that everyone is making fun of them?

I'm wondering if your numbers represent retail sales, or shipping units?
                      After reading a bunch of stuff on Digg from all the Xbox fanboys, I talked to the manager at my local Gamestop when I put in my pre-order for the 360 version of the new C&C. He told me point blank that they almost ALWAYS have PS3's in stock, but they sell rather quickly. They have them in stock because they get regular shipments in. They also have a huge row of boxes on the top shelf along one entire wall, although those are empty boxes used for marketing purposes and not boxes with consoles in them.

This may not be the case everywhere, but I have no reason to doubt the guy. He's treated me well in my years of patronizing the store, not to mention I spent four years in high school with him!

Market demand? The demand seems pretty decent based on prior console releases. It's not as high as the Wii, but the Wii is more affordable and has a wider target audience and potential customer base with adequate technology to get full use out of the device.

As far as people making fun of them, I don't think that has any relevance at all. It's quite common for people to make fun of a product competing with the one they own, or a product they can not afford that forced them to settle for something less than what they want. It makes many people feel better about their compromised purchase.

EDIT:

Regarding the "sales" numbers. I'm not sure. It could be either and there's a lot of controversy over what those number really mean and if they are even accurate for ALL of the consoles. I can only assume that even if that is the number of units shipped it means they were shipped to some retailer somewhere. If the units are not selling then the number of units shipped would stall as retailers are not going to keep buying products from the manufacturer if those products are doing nothing more than sitting on the shelf.

I'm sure that the demand is lower than the Wii and that contributes to a supply chain that's a bit easier to manage for the PS3 to keep units in stock at retailers. It would also contribute to an apparent lack of interest because you see PS3's available but can never find any Wii's available.

Comment

If the units are not selling then the number of units shipped would stall as retailers are not going to keep buying products from the manufacturer if those products are doing nothing more than sitting on the shelf.
                        I should have mentioned that the reason I ask is that my local Gamestop has 11 PS3s in stock and they keep having more sent to them. Some sort of corporate force feeding, I guess. I live in a small town whose retail stores support a much larger rural area. Not a good demographic for PS3 sales. Evidently the local Gamestop can't start sending the PS3s back for a certain amount of time. Now, take this all with a grain of salt, as my info is coming from a 19 year old kid, but I've seen the PS3s. They have 6 in the glass behind the counter and a stack in the back room. I can't imagine any other reason why my Gamestop would have that many PS3s in stock.

I'll have to ask my brother in law about this. He was a regional manager for Gamestop before getting laid off after the merger with EB. He's still got lots of friends in the corporate office that he can talk to...
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

The PS3 is definitely not selling as fast as the Wii in Canada. It seems that Sony has met demand and just can't compete for the spotlight that Nintendo has. I'm really wondering how Sony can turn this around. They're throwing around a lot of money. Losing $200+ on each console sold is bad. They'd better be talking with development studios about exclusives. I think they advertised too much before the console was released because they couldn't make many PS3's for the NA/Japan launch.

The European launch was pretty good though. It wasn't spectacular because they didn't sell out but I think that's because they had so many for launch. I really don't think they needed to give out those free HDTV's for the London launch. That's throwing away even more money. It seemed to be some sort of promotion to get more people lined up for PS3's except nobody was supposed to know about it and there were extra TV's after giving them away.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

For interests sake, you might want to determine how many of those unsold PS3s are 20GB vs. 60GB models. Seems like the public doesn't really want the lesser version.

The Wii is a great, fun, cheap console... I do thing that you hit the nail on the head in your dig post though Apo. How is it going to feel in 3 years, when we have our 6th bowling title and the industry hasn't really supported it in the innovative way they should have? Most of the industry is focused on re-hashing ideas/games/franchises. Nintendo's first party stuff is always class, but I just don't see a lot of other publishers chasing innovation if its going to limit portability to get more sales.
                            Do or do not, there is no try....
                            -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

We've been down this Sony road before. I think one important thing to keep in mind is that just because YOU are a gamer doesn't mean that every advertisement related to gaming is targeting you specifically. Viral marketing works and works well. Tactical Gamer uses viral marketing almost EXCLUSIVELY as a method for growth and it really has done well for us. I didn't like the alliwantforxmasisapsp bit, it didn't appeal to me, but that doesn't mean it didn't appeal to whatever group of people they were trying to target. To us, that campaign was laughable, but if it appealed to a few thousand inter-city-rapper-wanna-bes, it did the job. Hell, it got Sony so much attention that they probably don't care if it was liked or not as long as people were paying attention to their company and products.

I think the PS3 will come of age soon, it truly is a next-gen console as opposed to Microsoft's "this-gen" console.

Usual disclaimer: I have an Xbox 360 and I love it. I do not own a PS3.
                              Note how I put 'destructive' in front of 'viral marketing'. Actually creating a fake fansite and denying that it's run by Sony is something that I just look down on. Over time it weakens the associated communities, as they start to doubt so called 'fan reviews' and things like that.

It may have worked, but it was a tasteless act, and my view of them lessened further as a result.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X