So. I got a PlayStation 3.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So. I got a PlayStation 3.

I just got a PS3 yesterday and got it set up last night. The thing has an enormous amount of power and capabilities that I've yet to figure out. Anyone have any suggestions?

I also set up my Playstation Network account. I can be found at "TG-Apophis". Or at least I think that's me. :)

I'm going to work on a hands-on review with some 360 vs. PS3 comparisons in terms of functionality, practicality, etc. The console certainly has some strengths and weaknesses, but the open architecture of the thing kicks arse.

Now I just need to figure out how to get a Home Beta invite.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: So. I got a PlayStation 3.

welcome to the very small club, Apophis. While still a little underwhelmed game wise, it certainly has enough functionality to keep me busy, especially with the blu-ray.

Granted its a simple game and is even available on the PC, I recommend checking out Flow (7.99) from the PS store. Its simple and elegant at the same time and with the sixaxis control its one of those games where you can just lay back and unwind while playing.

Comment

I'm sure the software will catch up with the hardware. I've been very impressed so far. I'm in the process of downloading Yellow Dog Linux right now so I can install that on the PS3 and play around. I already have a wireless bluetooth keyboard and mouse, so I'm ready to rock.

What is your Playstation Network name?

Comment

aculle01...I had to send my PS3 to get fixed because the HDMI port seemed to have gotten fried by an electrical surge after a lightning strike. I guess there is a reason they put cable ports on surge protectors. The strike also took out my modem, router, DVR, and one of the HDMI ports on my tv through my cable.

Comment

el_capitano is my PSN name. Silly vulgarity filter doesn't like gunjunkie for some reason...
          Do or do not, there is no try....
          -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by gunjunkie View Post
            el_capitano is my PSN name. Silly vulgarity filter doesn't like gunjunkie for some reason...
            When I was trying to set up my name it kept saying I couldn't use the name I wanted. I'm not sure if it was because it had spaces, was taken, or something else. It was relatively vague.

Comment

Yeah the game selection has been pretty poor to date but it is picking up steam. I picked up R6 Vegas a couple of days ago and it's a great game and has good teamwork if you can hook up with the right people. I'd be interested in a non-biased comparison of the graphics between the two. Most of the stuff I've read says the 360 looks better in similar games. My online id is RatBastad if anybody wants to play some Rainbow Six.

Comment

Coming down the pipe:

SOCOM: Confrontation

I know the production team, and they have a biiig focus on moving the franchise back to it's roots, so to speak. SOCOM 1 & 2 were very focused on small fireteam size actions, and they kind of got away from that recently. From what I understand, this version will focus on groundpounding in a modern, urban setting, with a focus on realism (as much as you can in a AAA console title).
                -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by shakeyjake View Post
                  Yeah the game selection has been pretty poor to date but it is picking up steam. I picked up R6 Vegas a couple of days ago and it's a great game and has good teamwork if you can hook up with the right people. I'd be interested in a non-biased comparison of the graphics between the two. Most of the stuff I've read says the 360 looks better in similar games. My online id is RatBastad if anybody wants to play some Rainbow Six.
                  Lol, I don't know about unbiased... DISCLAIMER: I work for PS.

However, to me, the key differentiators in terms of graphics between the two platforms is available VRAM. THe 360 has more video ram than the PS3, allowing for higher fidelity textures out of the box. In terms of GPU capabilities, both are equivalent to top of the last generation of PC graphics cards.

However, in terms of what goes on before things actually hit the GPU, imho, I think the two machines can't really be compared. The 360 uses 3 general purpose cores. Basically like if Intel sold a tri-core chip (it's an IBM power chip, but the analogy stands). These general purpose cores allow for the game to effectively multithread over a common bus. Very similar in concept to multithreaded programming in a standard desktop environment.

The PS3s Cell chip has a radically new architecture, where a single supervisory chip controls 6-8 special purpose high speed processing units. Tasks are set up on the individual cells and run asynchronously reading and writing data through direct memory access channels, at, quite frankly, speeds far, far in excess of what is possible on bus based computing architectures.

In simple terms, the 360 is a great piece of hardware. It's basically a pretty powerful PC in a box. I think it has a little more raw graphics horsepower than the PS3.

I think in terms of the fidelity of the simulation, in other words, the ability to have massively concurrent physics, AI, complex weather, audio processing, etc. systems all working together to produces something like we've not experienced before, the PS3 wins hands down.

Also, although there has been some controversy about the decision to include BlueRay over standard DVD. The ability to ship a game with 50GB of textures/audio files/etc. over 9GB on standard DVD cannot be understated.

Just for reference, in [email protected], we've benchmarked a top of the line Intel Dual-Core PC alongside a PS3. The PS3 is 18x faster doing this (admittedly specialized) workload.

However, It's worth pointing out that its going to take developers a little while before they start to bring the best out of the machine. It requires a different way of architecting real time software than how games have traditionally been put together. Personally, I'm really interested to see what happens when the Unreal Engine optimized for PS3 is finally released.
                  -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by gunjunkie View Post

I think in terms of the fidelity of the simulation, in other words, the ability to have massively concurrent physics, AI, complex weather, audio processing, etc. systems all working together to produces something like we've not experienced before, the PS3 wins hands down.
                    Great. Hopefully they'll release a game that takes advantage of all this in the somewhat near future.

Comment

Then it would seem like the problem that unless a game is developed specifically for the PS3, the quality will lack behind the same games made for both systems because its possibly cheaper and easier to reach both markets by simply porting over from one system to the other and making adjustments rather than building two separate games from the ground up. Or am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by aculle01 View Post
                        Then it would seem like the problem that unless a game is developed specifically for the PS3, the quality will lack behind the same games made for both systems because its possibly cheaper and easier to reach both markets by simply porting over from one system to the other and making adjustments rather than building two separate games from the ground up. Or am I wrong?
                        No, you are right...

One of the big challenges we have to overcome as a company...
                        -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

I just bought a PS3, my screen name is Sirusblk of course. As for games I have both Rainbow 6: Vegas and Resistance: Fall of Man. I've played both online and I have to say Rainbow 6: Vegas is really clunky online. The mic doesn't transmit as well it seams, and the animations are horrible, not matching the ground at all, throwing grenades suffers lag like no other.

Resistance is an awesome game which suffers from good pacing on single player if anything else. The animation is smooth. The ability to squad up is awesome and reaps benefits online.

Lastly I totally recommend Stardust HD totally worth it. It's not another geometry wars trust me. But if you play it on an HDTV then it's a lot easier to play (seeing text on a SDTV just plain sucks). The perfect arcade game to compliment your hard hitting FPS games.

Ninja Gaiden: Sigma is fun, well at least from everything I've experienced from the demo :)

Comment

Add me to the list, Apophis forced me to get one :D

Plan on getting Resistance: Fall of Man and another game to start. Don't have a screen name yet, will figure that out when it arrives and I sign on.

Sounds like this thing is going to kick butt, gonna start reading up on all the cool things I can do with it ;)

Comment

Hey if we get enough people playing Resistance online, can we start a guild? Or maybe on Warhawk when it comes out? :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X