No announcement yet.

Everyday Shooter

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyday Shooter

Has anyone played it? I bought it and have played it, not all of it mind you, there's a lot to play. For $10 it's a steal, and it's not your average run of the mill top down shooter.

In fact, no this is nothing like the comparative Geometry Wars that all subsequent top down shooters are compared to. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Instead you're not playing the same basic setting. You're actually playing music tracks.

No hard hitting techno music here. Instead, acoustic guitar provides the setting. Instead of the main goal to rack up the highest score you can and get that adrenaline rush of narrowly dodging enemies, your goal is instead to make music.

How are you making music you ask? Well I'll tell you... Every enemy you shoot hits a different chord on the guitar. Each chord has it's place and blends in nicely with the background track playing. You don't score points for killing enemies, instead if you get "chains" you're rewarded with the few points let out.

The chains are what really set off the background track creating a beautiful harmonious pattern of musical notes and spine tingling music. Thus the goal in this game isn't to score points and kill all the enemies right away, it's instead to survive and set up those chains to make glorious music. Points are rewarded this way, but you have to pick them up.

Having to be forced to pick up your own points forces you to set up chains, then stop shooting and salvage for those points earned. You travel faster when you don't shoot and it truly adds another dynamic to the game considering many of the enemies you'll face are faster than you are when you're shooting. You'll have to stop shooting to avoid them and use your insane turning radius that they can't seem to match to stay alive.

"There's only 8 tracks?!" you'll say, but nay I ask if you can get past the first 4 seeing as even with my 5 lives I can't get past the 4th. Each level is a different song with different enemies, with a different look, and a different system of making chains.

Those points you worked so hard to earn? Well keep them, you'll buy stuff with them in the unlock shop. And you'll need to, those 3 lives won't last you very long. Also in game when you score a certain score you'll be rewarded with an extra life. The scale is atrocious so don't die in the beginning. You'll need to play and replay levels until you learn their chaining system and you've formulated a strategy for that track.

If you like acoustic guitar you'll love this game hands down. It doesn't matter if you're more of a casual gamer or a hardcore gamer, the learning curve is the same. And for $10 it's quite a game. I've already developed a habit of some favorite tracks.

My favorite track so far:
    4 - Porco In The Sky

Enjoy and share your thoughts,

Re: Everyday Shooter

I might check this out. I'm still struggling with PixelJunk Racers and with a long list of interesting games (COD4, Ratchet and Clank, GH III, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Bladestorm, Hells Gate), Voodoo Musical Festival and the rest of life's adventures, I am already straining to find a way to efficiently manage my time and money.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed