Other operating systems on the PS3??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other operating systems on the PS3??

Alright, I have been looking around and considering on putting another O/S on my PS3 just to see how what it would be like. I know there are a few different ones that are available like Yellow Dog and Ubuntu. I had considered Ubuntu for the fact I do not have a HDTV YET and read that yellow Dog needs to have a HDTV to work properly or you need to do the comlicated fix to get it to look good on SDTV's.
    I want to know what other options I may have, how hard it is to do, and what are the benefits of having another O/S on the PS3. Is it better for browsing the internet, does it make the PS3 more like a PC?
    Actually surprised nobody has gone through and made a post on this already.

Re: Other operating systems on the PS3??

Originally posted by msdz View Post
    Alright, I have been looking around and considering on putting another O/S on my PS3 just to see how what it would be like. I know there are a few different ones that are available like Yellow Dog and Ubuntu. I had considered Ubuntu for the fact I do not have a HDTV YET and read that yellow Dog needs to have a HDTV to work properly or you need to do the comlicated fix to get it to look good on SDTV's.
    I want to know what other options I may have, how hard it is to do, and what are the benefits of having another O/S on the PS3. Is it better for browsing the internet, does it make the PS3 more like a PC?
    Actually surprised nobody has gone through and made a post on this already.
    I have Yellow Dog Linux on my PS3 and it's quite handy. I'll boot into YDL if I'm upstairs and want to hop on the net or just get some other work done while watching the kids. It's quite convenient AND very fast.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

As I had said, YDL I think is out of the question for me due to me not having a HDTV and the work around I read seems complicated to fool with. Any other thoughts on some other O/S for the PS3? Anybody using Ubuntu on the PS3?

Comment

Never tried Ubuntu on the PS3, but it's easy enough to put on and then take off. Give it a try and see how you like it!
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X