Metal Gear Solid Online: Beta

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Gear Solid Online: Beta

After a failed first try the MGS:O Beta is now online. To get in for free you need to live in Japan or Europe. If in the US you will need to preorder MGS4 and receive a code. No matter where you live you will need to register at the Konami ID site. For some reason Konami didn't want to use PSN so you will have to create a new id. Dont worry if you cannot get you PSN name for the Konami or game ID since you will create a third id once in game and creating your player.

So far I have just messed around with the training but can say it looks really nice. Personally, its going to take a while to get used to playing a shooter on a console so I cant comment on the controls yet. I'll post some impressions later as I get into it more.

Re: Metal Gear Solid Online: Beta

This game has some real potential. The beta currently only consists of two maps that are on the small side but the number of players have been small as well so it hasn't been a frag fest. While there is a good amount of player damage the action is still slow enough for tactics. There are currently 4 modes: deathmatch, team deathmatch, secure and defend?, and base. Base is essentially conquest mode but if you die you are able to respawn at any of the points your team controls. Secure and defend has you having to fight for one of the green frogs you find in MGS and then take it back to your teams zone and defend for a set amount of time. Most of the matches I have played in have been team deathmatch. For the most part its pretty haphazard but every once in awhile I have been able to team up with some good players and we have been able to control maps using teamwork.

Overall, MGO looks and feels great. The player models look awesome and you have a solid amount of choices for customizing your character and thats just whats available in the beta. The view is over the shoulder 3rd person with first person iron sights/scope view. There is CQC but you have to have it as one of your skills to take advantage. Yes, you can take opponents hostage for cover like in MGS. Its actually somewhat worthwhile since if you damage a teammate you cannot fire for a brief amount of time. An opponent took one of my teammates hostage and I was able to snipe him in the head. It was definitely a top 25 gaming moment.

As I hinted to before, you can pick what skills your player has. There are currently about 15 or so and you can have up to four skills chosen at once. They range from weapon skills to special attributes. They essentially give you bonuses that you can level up. It seems like it will take awhile to reach each level. I have about 3 hours in and I am still working on my level 1 assault rifle.

The weapon selection isn't too broad right now but I assume it will expand with the retail version. I also do not know if the weapons have different attributes, something I will have to test. Some of the rounds have worked with a point system where you can points for playing well and with those points you can upgrade to better weapons as well as customize them with silencers, grips, sights, etc.

As far as the connection goes, I can't complain. There have been a few disconnects from the host but otherwise, especially during actual gameplay, the game has run smooth without any noticeable lag.

Honestly, I'd be playing this a lot more if it A) wasn't so nice out here B) if I didn't have to work 12 hour mid watch shifts this weekend. If anyone else is in on the beta and would like to jump in together, send me a PM or message me on PSN. I wish I had a setup like Magnum to get screen captures so you wouldn't have to rely on my words alone. The best thing I could say I guess would be that I am looking forward to the full game almost as much as MGS4 itself.

Comment

Hi I need some help. I preorded and got the DVD thing, I went to enter in the code but it only had 9 characters instead of the 12 I suspect it should have, I have entered it in and it won't redeem saying it's Invalid.

I e-mailed Konami and still have heard no response on this, any insight?

Comment

there was an issue with some of the printers which ended up only printing 9 digits instead of the 12. PLaystaion.blog says to go here, http://www.konami-data.com/support/

You can also try emailing them at [email protected]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X