PS3 40gb or 80gb

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS3 40gb or 80gb

I'm looking to purchase a PS3 very soon and have been looking online and at local B&M stores. I've only found the PS3 40gb console. From what I've found, the 80gb offers backwards compatibility with most PS1 / PS2 games and has a media card slot.

I've heard rumors that the 40gb has the 65nm processor and runs a bit cooler and consumes less power than the 80gb. Is this true?

I can't seem to find the 80gb console anywhere. Is it worth hunting down and worth the additional cost?

I don't know if I'll really need backwards compatibility or the media card slot. I'm assuming I can hook up a USB HDD to the PS3. Can I replace the HDD in the console w/o voiding the warranty?
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: PS3 40gb or 80gb

Upgrading the HDD is apparently easy and does not void the warranty. USB HDD are just plug and play but they must be formatted in fat32.

As for 80 vs 40...unless you really care about backwards compatibility just get the 40. Not sure about the tech difference question but no version of the ps3 is known for hardware issues like the 360 is.
    |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

You might not even be able to find the 80GB for a while. They stopped shipping them and I don't think we'll see it again until MGS4 is released. I guess the Motorstorm bundle got old and Sony wanted to refresh the bundle with a newer game and DS3 controllers.

I've got the 40GB and so far don't really care about backwards compatibility. The PS3 games look better and I want to play the newer games that take advantage of the hardware. Plus, the money you save from buying the 40GB could practically get you a PS2.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Any word on the slim redesign coming out in the next 2 quarters? Or is that still just on the rumor mill?
        In game handle: Steel Scion
        sigpic

Comment

The only new models I'm aware of are the MGS models coming out this June. A standard black 80GB bundled with the game and a 40G LE model that's supposed to be Gunmetal.
          a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
          Celibacy is not Hereditary.
          Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
          Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
          Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I'm not necessarily in a rush to get a ps3... is it worth holding out for the new MGS model? If it's not worth it, then I'll probably pick up the 40gb this week.
            |TG-12th| asch
            sigpic

Comment

It might be good to wait until the new bundle comes out just for the DS3 controllers. Although, there is Rock Band that you could be playing now! And GTA4 since that seems to be getting good reviews.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I'd wait for the bundle, though I bet it will be tough to find unless you are able to preorder it. If I didn't have a ps3 already I would get that bundle, the current ps3 is tough to keep clean with the glossy black. I might even pick it up anyways and sell my current one since its an original 60 gig with the hardware backwards compatibility which some people are now specifically looking for.

Another difference between the 40 gig and the 80 gig models is the number of USB ports. the 80 gig has 4 ports and the 40 only has 2. Its not a huge thing but it makes things a lot easier for you when you have more options.

Comment

Also the 80 Gb has the Memory Stick/SD/CompactFlash Slots. Here are the specs sheet but I can not find the information about the backwards compatibility except the fine print at the bottom. When I was comparing the systems they had the 3 stars(which refers to the backwards compatibility) on the 40Gb but can't see it or just not looking hard enough. http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/about/specs Some system updates might help with backwards compatibility.

Comment

40GB do not have backwards compatibility. Don't have the ps2 controller ports, card readers, nada. 80GB's are backwards compatible. 80GB is really just a redesign of the old 60gb model, which was the BC model. Personally I'd hold out for the MGS 80GB bundle which should be out 2nd or 3rd week of June. $100 more, but comes with MGS4 a must-have $60 game, and bundled with the Dualshock3 which runs $54 apiece separately. They will be hard to get if you live in a large population area, but we (target, northern MN) had the old 80GB in stock some months after they went out of production. Heck, we've even had Wii's in stock for upwards of 3 days before selling out. So they won't be impossible to find.

That being said, if you own a ps2 the 40GB isn't really much of a downgrade. It's what I personally own. No reader ports and less HDD space, but if you use your PC for your music/video downloads you won't even begin to crack your available space. I think I've used all of 4GB. And rock band came with a 4-port USB hub, so fewer ports means nothing there also :D
                    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X