Music Game Confusion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music Game Confusion

Hello there...my name is "Confuuuuuuused".

Guitar Hero
    Guitar Hero: Encore
    Guitar Hero: On Tour
    Guitar Hero: World Tour
    Guitar Hero: Aerosmith
    Guitar Hero 2
    Guitar Hero 3: Legends of RAWWWWK;)
    Rock Band
    Rock Band 2
    Rock Revolution
    Ultimate Band
    Unsigned

Let's discuss the best game of this type for the PS3 and lets include in the discussion the ones just on the horizon due to come out next month because I am looking to buy one but I have no idea which one to go for.

I am also curious if the games are all similar enough to transition from one to another without any type of learning curve. Can I play Guitar Hero 3 for three days straight and then join my buddies band on Rock Band and melt their faces off?
    |TG-8th Mercs|*New to TG? Start here*Become a Supporting Member

Re: Music Game Confusion

Originally posted by Rali3gH View Post
    Hello there...my name is "Confuuuuuuused".

Guitar Hero
    Guitar Hero: Encore
    Guitar Hero: On Tour
    Guitar Hero: World Tour
    Guitar Hero: Aerosmith
    Guitar Hero 2
    Guitar Hero 3: Legends of RAWWWWK;)
    Rock Band
    Rock Band 2
    Rock Revolution
    Ultimate Band
    Unsigned

Let's discuss the best game of this type for the PS3 and lets include in the discussion the ones just on the horizon due to come out next month because I am looking to buy one but I have no idea which one to go for.

I am also curious if the games are all similar enough to transition from one to another without any type of learning curve. Can I play Guitar Hero 3 for three days straight and then join my buddies band on Rock Band and melt their faces off?
    I've only had experiences with GH2 and GH3 so my opinion could be seen as biased. However, I will throw a curve ball and say the concept of Rock Band is awesome. The guitar from what I can tell has a set of keys at both extreme ends of the neck but there's also a plastic drum set and mic so you can really rock out with friends. From people I've talked to, they've made these notes about Rock Band also sooo, I guess if you've got the system: Rock Band (and its various incarnations).

sigpic

Donate Blood. Ask for a gun and a bucket.

Comment

What about song selection? I was sorely dissapointed with Guitar Hero: Aerosmith but a day after playing Guitar Hero 3 LOR my hands were sore because the songs were better IMO.
      |TG-8th Mercs|*New to TG? Start here*Become a Supporting Member

Comment

I never liked Aerosmith that much. Steve Tyler looks like a monkey...

sigpic

Donate Blood. Ask for a gun and a bucket.

Comment

Having played every game on that list except Aerosmith, I'm going to throw my vote out there.

Get Rock Band. Bit more expensive, but the music library is much more varied so you're sure to find stuff you like. the Downloadable content support is better (new songs out once a week).

That being said, I would wait and buy the RB2 kit when it comes out this fall. Second generation peripherals. Plus you can then buy the RB1 game (which can be had game-only) and then rip the vast majority of the songs (few exceptions due to licensing) to your HDD for play in RB2.

RB2 has 80 confirmed songs so far, 100 total being the final number.

And they are similar enough in terms of the guitar play. It takes a few songs to get the differences in the preciseness of the timing (most noticeable doing hammer-ons and the like) but they're pretty much the same.
          a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
          Celibacy is not Hereditary.
          Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
          Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
          Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

The guitar playing in Guitar Hero and Rock Band are very similar. It's practically identical if it were not for the different guitars. The drumming will be something you'll have to accustom yourself to since the current Guitar Hero games do not have drumming. I imagine the drumming in Guitar Hero: World Tour will be similar to Rock Band's drumming.

The concepts are essentially the same across all games. When the note scrolls to the bar at the bottom of the screen, hold the button and strum or hit the drum pad. It's not a hard concept. Once you get your own coordination down, you're set. It doesn't matter which game you're playing.

Some say it's an odd transition between the Guitar Hero and Rock Band guitars but I haven't had much of a problem. They do feel different but it's still the same concept to play. Transitioning to drumming after playing guitar took a little time but it's mostly getting used to all the limb movement versus moving fingers to play. I think it took about a week to get used to the coordination and another few months to become really good at drumming.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Rock Band is made by Harmonix, the makers of the original Guitar Hero 1 & 2. People claim that Guitar Hero 3 is harder than Rock Band, but that does seem to stem from the fact that Guitar Hero only focuses on the "guitar riffing, pulse pounding" tracks of songs, where as Rock Band appeals to all the instruments at once.

If I had to choose one, I'd again choose Rock Band, Harmonix is the genius for which Guitar Hero wouldn't exist without, and ever since Harmonix jumped ship for Rock Band, the note transposition for Guitar Hero is sucky in my opinion.

Case in point, take Message in a Bottle by the Police, if it's a high note your left hand (assuming you're right handed) slides down the neck to hit that note. If it's a low note you're moving up the neck. The notes seem to hit exactly where they should be, and from what I have heard actually accurately model hitting the real notes on a real guitar.

Guitar Hero doesn't do that so well, playing both versions of Message in a Bottle on both games you'll realize that Rock Band is a lot more intuitive.

I think this helps since Rock Band is primarily a multiplayer game. I've invited friends over who have never played an instrument, let alone a video game period, and they have a fun and great time. They can start out on Easy, or challenge themselves on Medium, with me jumping in to save them every now and then :)

So it really bogs down to what you want to use it for. Rock Band if you expect to play with anyone else and/or want to try out the drums. Guitar Hero if you only expect to play by yourself, and only enjoy the guitar.

I think Rock Band is also a better choice since it has an extensive online catalog that is constantly getting bigger. Where as Guitar Hero is lucky to see any track updates, and those won't transfer over to the next sequel :( Where as Rock Band's will :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X