Mercenaries 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercenaries 2

So who has it? I got it today, I'm not too far but I got to test out some of the co-op, much to Spyder's dismay :)

Sorry for dying about 4 times :P

I'm kinda on the fence about the game, the graphics and animations aren't wowing me but how seemless the co-op seems to work it's awesome.

I just hopped right into Spyder's game. I don't know about on Spyder's end but I got the occasional lag spike, little more than a glitch jump, usually in a vehicle (don't enter in first person view in the car, trust me :D).

Co-op works as such, you can just join a friend's game or anyone whose broadcasting publicly (you can change the settings but friends is default). You jump in right on that current players location. When they go into a building you go too. You can shop while they talk but it's their game, you can share in their earnings, you get your own cut, but you don't get to choose what missions you accept. You can buy your own upgrades and stuff (I bought more fuel capacity :P)

Also side missions, like tagging and airlifting stuff is only for the hosting player. Likewise hijacking is given priority to the hosting player (as far as I can tell, it might be lag).

The game doesn't scale as far as I can tell but you do have to worry about the other player. If one goes down and isn't revived (like me, again sorry) the mission is failed and must be started over again. However this can work both ways saving you as a back up plan :)

Besides some glitches I noticed in co-op (might not be co-op but just in general), co-op is awesome wicked fun :D

Re: Mercenaries 2

Yeah, it was generally good times. I wasn't lagging at all as the host, but I'm sure you were lagging because of the load on my connection. I'm many hops from anywhere important for bandwidth purposes, despite being on a 7mbs dsl. In general the coop was a blast. Took a bit of figuring out how it ran but it was mostly seemless second player in the single player story hotseat type gameplay.

Couple instances where I really wish I had a mic. Not even sure if the game supports it, seeing how hit and miss it is with PSN in general.

I played the first Mercs game and loved it, and this is more of the same goodness :D

There are deffinantly the occasional annoying glitch gameplay wise, but I haven't run into any truly gamebreaking ones.
    Except equipping air combat patrol for that last mission. Take care of those effing choppers.
    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

There actually wasn't that much lag on my end, so I'd be surprised to see how it fairs on a really good host :)

I still gotta figure out how to jump onto your hijacked chopper :P

Comment

I yearn for a mission that's Boom, Boom and Boom.
        Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

The nagging bugs on this game are really starting to wear me down. Simply I'm too strong, I find running around bashing people's face in with a melee attack is usually the most effective way to complete my objective.

I remember in Mercs 1 if you didn't jump out of a vehicle about to die you were a goner, here you do some amazing rag doll flip a 100 ft into the air, slam back down and jump back to your feet.

The story is horribly bland. I like the first one where there was a simple text premise in the little booklet, and you'd find out the individual politics of each faction by speaking and meeting with them. Instead I'm forced to painfully watch as horrible animations and unimpressive pre-rendered cinematics (seriously, the in game stuff is palatable comparatively). It'd be cool if they at least ran some crazy filters to give it the money treatment their trailer had. The cinematics jump around so fast, it's illogical how someone pulls a gun not even half the time, but rather all the time.

Nagging audio, especially from Fiona. Dangit I get it, if I'm stuck I can always return to the PMC base and talk to you even though you have nothing to tell me that I don't already know! Seriously at least include a stupid if statement asking if I have a marker on the stupid map.

That brings to me to my next big rant. The map never makes any allowances for air or water vehicles. I'd trully be impressed if it could even figure out off road portions to risk either getting my car blown up or to get their faster.

Bullets. Bullets travel at truly slow speed. I can bounce a tennis ball to Bangladesh and back before a bullet comes and hits me. I can already run at super speed, added to the fact that the bullets are slower than molasses means I never get hit by bullets. Good thing there are enemies with RPGs otherwise I'd never even need a health bar.

Physics while present are funky too. Things in true havok engine fashion seem to be as light as a helium balloon. Boxes I walk into take over 2 full seconds to start their desentl It makes for a cool effect on buildings, but that slo mo effect is real time, if it was slowed down for explosions that'd be cool, but it's not, so I cry failure.

Colors/Bloom. What were you thinking? As much as I bet Venezuela is tropical climate, I doubt everything is a shade of Orange, mixed with the light green foliage, and shades of brown bloom and rim highlighting. I'm already unimpressed by models and skins, but the colors make me quite literally sick to my stomach.

</end rant>

<start pros>

That all being said, I do enjoy the co-op. It is a pretty seamless experience being able to join someone else's game, or have them join mine without an interruption to the game at all. The mechanic of having to revive your team mate actually makes the game a lot more enjoyable having to directly help your team mate, lest you both lose and have to start over. The game doesn't scale at all though not making the game any tougher, which is good and which is also bad. There are minor nags, like not being able to grapple your way into the passenger seat of a friendly hijacked chopper.

Things in co-op also get that micro to macro level sense of awe. When playing with Spyder I found it cool to watch him jump on a tank and hijack it, while I'd take care of the ground troops, being able to watch the unique cinimatic animations play out right there in front of my eyes.

Besides nothing beats, being in a mission, shooting down an endless supply of enemies when all of a sudden your partner hijacks a chopper, sets it for a death course with the enemy base, jumps out and roll in front of you while the chopper sets off an explosion that leaves ash and burning vegetation an amazing sight to behold while you both reload your guns.

I enjoy the amount of money you earn as your high score. It's a great mechanic and earning money as part of co-op definitely seems like a great incentive even after the game is long beaten and replayed. Being able to access leader boards and see the "Billionaire's Club" got a chuckle out of me, seeing only two on the first day had entered the ranks. When you spend money to keep factions pleased it impacts your money and is obviously reflected in your score negatively.

Comment

Can I have a remake of Mercs 1 with HD graphics, much better animations, new and improved features like having to secure outposts, fuel, etc. All with the ability to hijack helicopters and play co-op (this time I'd like to have up to 3 or 4). That'd be the perfect game for me :)

Comment

Indeed. There are signs that there may be some patching done/available in the future, which would be awesome. Also, did anybody else pick up on the fact that when you go into multiplayer filter search you can filter by map, even though there is only one map?

Here's hoping for a TC of M1's map with a few of the bugs ironed out.

I can handle the graphical issues. They don't bother me that much.

I can handle the falling out of helicopters because there are sooo many rocket launchers everywhere and you're going to get blown up without the chance to bail. (note that if you do bail you take way less damage from the fall)

[rant]

I hate how sometimes It's easier to level a building with a small C4 bundle than the airstrikes.

Except the rocket artillery, which does an admirable job of blowing the crap out of everything in a given block from the safety of a nearby hill...

I'd really like the gunplay physics to be better. Bullets go faster and do more damage, guns are more accurate rockets that aren't 98hp heat-seeking nightmares. Running around bashing people shouldn't be your best combat option.

I want a health bar the scales realistically. It seems like the first quarter of your health bar is getting to 2%.

I really hate the fact that they just made 3 buildings of rocket launching soldiers at every point as their grand fix to the difficulty issue.

The airstrike delivery methods (other than satellite) need to be easier to execute. Would it have been that hard to load my 3 presets into my grenade/C4 selection? I shouldn't have to run up to where I want to plant the smoke grenade, stop all momentum to open up the selection and then throw. This is the one thing above all else I wish they'd patch in.

I really wish you didn't throw grenades like a little girl.

I wish there was some kind of scalability in the vehicle setup. No matter what I'm driving, It'll be blown up in roughly 2 shots from pretty much anything.

I really hate fiona's constant nagging. The rest of the voice work is still repetitive, but bearable because I'm usually in the business of blowing them up. But that constant reminder crap needs to be patched out.

[/rant]

Comment

Unrelated to previous rant, I finished the game, just have to collect the spare parts (which I may or may not do at some point) and have only 1 mission I haven't been able to complete, so I'm all about playing with the big bombs and other interesting tidbits in MP now. Such as throwing a beacon-based airstrike on your Coop buddy's car and having him drive off....

Comment

If you troll the pandemic website you will find a thread where one of the moderators is collecting bugs/issues for the dev team....so I take that to mean a patch is in the works.

And the fuel-air RPG is the best thing since sliced bread. I bought like 20 drops for the thing when I found out about it :D

Comment

I'd say do the challenges with a friend, especially with that one girl. She runs super fast and can get to the next section faster, and being able to split up the workload works wonders. I definitely need to get those extra costumes (I still wish I could dress up like the factions)

I'd like the map to actually be useful when in a boat or in the air. Just make a dotted line straight as the arrow to my objective (I know it's not hard to code).

The selection thing is a nag, I'd rather have that selection thing dictate what I'm going to be carrying besides C4 and Grenades, as a third option.

I want bullets to move faster, so I can't run and dodge bullets so much. The cover system is the greatest thing ever, probably the most fluid system I've seen. You aim and you automatically take cover near the nearest thing. You'll even automatically peep out to take pot shots (however taps of the fire button don't work so well)

A downloadable content pack for Mercenaries 1 map would be awesome. Must support Co-op, and have extra things like an extra costume :)

The driving physics could also learn a thing or two. I'm not complaining too much since I can take fiona's car, drive it at full speed, aim between two palm trees right outside the villa, hit the emergency brake still going at full speed, and basically stick to the path. That one sport's car though was one hell of a drive.

I kinda wish they'd change how each vehicle for each faction drives. Right now it seems like they're all basic copies of the respective version from the other faction. Except maybe the Jamaicans with their ski-do. I remember in the first one a Chinese car accelerated and turned noticeably different than a UN car.

Comment

The only mission I have left on my mattias game is the level 3 boat mission for the PLAV. The one with the mines. Beat everything else.

Started a second game as Jacobs, who has always been my favorite character. Just basically blitzing through it skipping all the optional stuff.

Give me a buzz if you want help to get the costumes. Just have to beat the level 3's on fiona's challenges for them.

Comment

I find Jacobs to be the most horrible animated character of all, his cigar sticks in some magic fashion to the underside of his lip :P

Comment

Probably, but I prefer that to trying to decipher mattias' absolutely horrible accent.

Comment

I'm gonna replay as the girl :) I know she has a snotty obnoxious voice but she's probably the coolest :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X