Hard Drive Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Drive Problem

Okay so I'm no stranger to downloading things onto hard drives. I like trying all the demos and I've built quite the catalog of downloaded games.

Well my supposed 80 gig hard drive (at launch) is now capped at 55 gigs due to all the system files, and what's more is that supposedly all my downloading and deleting has left the hard drive in a small withered state of only 6000 mbs or so.

So my question to you is, who here has swapped out hard drives? I know it can be done and I know some of you have. I was wondering what I should look for, certain brands playing well with each other? How exactly should I go about transferring my saved games and such over. etc.

Whats a good size? I won't settle for anything less of 250 gigs.

Re: Hard Drive Problem

If I may redirect you here....http://asia.cnet.com/digitalliving/t...2032875,00.htm

Also, how do you burn up 80 gigs that quick? I still got 30+ gigs on my 60 gig.

Comment

For some reason, nothing is defraged :( I download and delete so many things. Movies and more. It just doesn't disappear though.

I have about 8 downloaded games. I've already gone ahead and deleted all my demos, excess themes, music (I downloaded one CD), even pictures and saved game files.

I shouldn't be burning through this much. I've restarted to see any change and nothing. It stays the same amount, it pisses me off.

Comment

For the downloaded games, you can redownload them off the PSN. It's under the Transaction Management > Download List. As for all your other stuff, an iPod/Zune/ec. if you have one would work nicely. As for the HDD, I've heard people having good luck with Seagates, although I'm uncertain of the model at the moment. Also, I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that a 5400RPM drive is the way to go. Any size you can afford, I'd suggest, althought 250-500GB would work best.

Comment

I bought a one terabyte HDD and threw it in an Antec external USB enclosure and hooked it up to my PS3. Slowly but surely, I'm ripping my entire DVD collection and putting it on that HDD. Works like a charm, and I've got plenty of room for downloaded stuff.
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeyandthebandit View Post
            If I may redirect you here....http://asia.cnet.com/digitalliving/t...2032875,00.htm

Also, how do you burn up 80 gigs that quick? I still got 30+ gigs on my 60 gig.
            Hell, Now I'm tempted to upgrade mine. Swapping the HDD is about 68x easier than some of the laptop jobs I've done recently.

As for space issues. Play lots of games, and most importantly, Rock Band. I have atleast 10gb of stuff from RB alone.
            a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
            Celibacy is not Hereditary.
            Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
            Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
            Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Great thing about the PS3 is: one screw, pull it out, put new HDD in the monting bracket, slide it in, put screw in and whamo! New HDD.
              I have heard about purpose built HDDs coming soon, but they're pricey. My advice is to check the Playstation forums and such to see which is the best value.

Since I installed Linux, I still have about 20GB left on the PS3 partition (60GB launch PS3) so I won't need a new HDD, but when PS3 games will be on the PSN cheaper (and according to Sony, most games will be on PSN exclusively) I will have to get a new one. But until then, I'm going to hunt down 20GB >:)

Comment

You can get 500 gig 7200rpm notebook drives for around $100..

Newegg would be a GREAT place to start searching. A buddy of mine did just that, and he is "anything" but a computer geek and had no problems at all.

Comment

You can just use an external USB drive and that will work fine. You just have to set the folders right and such. Google for the way to do it if you go external.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                  In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

But wiht USB, it would be slower, would it not? Also, you couldn't install games onto it. It would be more for media storage.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X