Backwards Compatibility?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backwards Compatibility?

Has Sony finally given up on putting any kind of backwards compatibility with the PS3?

I've been toying around with getting a next-gen console for a while now, even though i don't have an HDTV or anything yet. Now, I've been working at an electronics warehouse/distributor for a few years now, and I've noticed something odd: The new 80gb PS3s that we're shipping out now have the same tabs next to the capacity that the 40s did, RE:
    This model of the PLAYSTATION 3 system is designed to play PLAYSTATIONŽ3 format software and has limited backward compatibility. This system is not compatible with, and will not play, PlayStation 2 format software.

Formerly, the 80GB was compatible with PS2 and PSX games, as was the Motorstorm edition, and the old 60GB with the hardware.

Looking at Sony's website, it looks like all new PS3s are incompatible with any ps2 games, and they've removed the memory card slots as well.

While I currently have a PS2, that system has been fraught with hardware problems (Personally, i've had to re-buy 3 PS2s because of laser alignment hardware wearing out, Gabe from Penny-Arcade has bought at least 5) and it would be impractical for me to continue using it as a backup incase it got destroyed again, which is why I would have wanted the ability to play my entire library of games on the PS3.

Anyone know of any place that sells the old models from last year or 2006 still?

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
    <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
    DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Re: Backwards Compatibility?

Hmm, that would be bad for Sony if they did stop the backwards compatibility. I know I don't have any PS games but I have tried them in my PS3 and both the PS one and PS2 games worked fine. Of course I have an older 80Gb Motorstorm model. That was the whole purpose I had bought a PS3 80Gb model cause it did work on original PS games and PS2 games, or was supposed I should say. It does state it has limited capabilities on this and I read a few articles stating certain PS2 or PS original games will not work. Some PS3 updates have included backwards compatibility on some games.
    I do know Sony is still making money off the PS2 and did hear that newer PS3 system would stop the backwards compatibility until they decided to stop completely supprting the PS2 systems, it may be a rumor but sounds like a company that is interested in making money. They don't want to bite their own foot off.

Comment

I believe they are still supporting PS1 games but I don't think that's a big feature.

They've completely dropped PS2 support. It's a shame because it would be nice to support last generation's games as a way to entice gamers to upgrade/save space. It's a convenience issue that can be a big deal.

I don't think the older models with hardware or even software emulation exist anymore. You'll have to check in smaller towns where they might not have sold off all the stock. One friend had his PS3 80GB stolen and lost PS2 compatibility because it's not a feature anymore. He did find a store that had some old 60GB models and snagged one. They were gone FAST.

There might be some available on eBay but that could be pricey. I think people want to hold on to their old PS3 models.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I got the MGS bundle specifically because it had support for PS2 games. Sony is stupid to drop backwards compatibility.
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Price saving measure, and yet it still cost more then the Xbox360.

Comment

The new 80GB models are replacing the old 40GB SKU's. Same price point, more GB. They have always only had limited BC models available. MGS4 bundle was one such. Kind of a pain, but Seeing as the PS2 is still current and selling well (and thus making them boatloads of money even still) it's not a surprise that they're not pushing BC models right now.
            a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
            Celibacy is not Hereditary.
            Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
            Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
            Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Just a stupid question. Let's say my PS3 is BC, my buddy has a newer model that isn't, what would happen if he tried using my restore disc or whatever you want to call it. Would he gain the BC or would it effect his PS3 at all or are the disc coded to work only on a particular PS3 system?

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                I got the MGS bundle specifically because it had support for PS2 games. Sony is stupid to drop backwards compatibility.
                Did the same thing D did. I wasn't ready to have a PS3 (money, small, non-hd TV) but when I heard they were discontinuing the bundle and replacing it with the 80gig non-BC unit, I went ahead and hunted down one of the last bundles in the area.

Originally posted by msdz View Post
                Just a stupid question. Let's say my PS3 is BC, my buddy has a newer model that isn't, what would happen if he tried using my restore disc or whatever you want to call it. Would he gain the BC or would it effect his PS3 at all or are the disc coded to work only on a particular PS3 system?
                I guess it depends on the systems. I know some of the manage their BC via software emulation while (I think) at least some of the ones with BC have a chip for that emulation.
                "There are two kinds of people in this world. Those with guns and those who dig. You dig."
                EvE Online: Jintu Xi, Bandu McWilly
                PLAYSTATIONŽNetwork & Steam = "TrickyTerp"

Comment

I say Sony will bring back BC WHEN the PS2 actually stops raking in the cash for them which might be a long time before that happens. Another thing is a lot of the older games that are on older consoles are starting to show up for downloads in the PS Store. So if they are selling these games at full price for the PS3 system via download I started thinking they may never support BC again. The downloads of older games onto the PS3 from the PS Store means a lot more money for them and we lose out on BC due to them raking in even more money from older games.

Comment

Originally posted by Banyan View Post
                    I know some of the manage their BC via software emulation while (I think) at least some of the ones with BC have a chip for that emulation.
                    Having done some research on that issue before, what I've found is that the early models had both the PS2 Emotion Engine (processor) and Graphics Synthesizer (graphics, shading, etc processor) chips in. The 60gb this year and the 80gb MGS/Motorstorm model had the Emotion Engine chip removed as a cost saving measure, and the function calls, etc for the graphics chip are emulated in software, which is a bit slower and buggier, but works.

The problem is the new versions have the Graphics Synthesizer chip removed also, which makes it completely incapable of backwards compatibility, and Sony doesn't have a whole-package or Just In Time (like microsoft) instruction emulator for the PS2, at least yet. It took them over 5 years to get an emulator going for the PSX chips (They removed the PSX chips in the slimline version in around 2004-2005, thats running on pure software emulation to run PSX games) so if they're ever going to make a full-package emulator it's going to take quite some time still.

As far as the PS2 still currently selling well, it's coming up on it's 10 year life limit soon. Production has already slowed, and next year or so in November it's projected to stop, so soon there won't be ANY choice for running your old games.

DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

They're talking about native support. I believe only the highest model has the native support built in. Even if they do drop it you'll still be able to download the PS2 player, it just won't play every single title ever. The all run pretty well in my experience and my model never had native support.

Comment

I still foresee Sony doing away with BC altogether even after PS2 has lost all support for the fact they can sell the older games through the PS Store to work on the PS3.

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
                          I still foresee Sony doing away with BC altogether even after PS2 has lost all support for the fact they can sell the older games through the PS Store to work on the PS3.
                          I'd love to buy a pack of Ratchet and Clank and actually see it run in 720p, here's blindly hoping :D

Comment

Originally posted by Sirusblk View Post
                            I'd love to buy a pack of Ratchet and Clank and actually see it run in 720p, here's blindly hoping :D
                            I doubt that the older games will have improved graphics quality from the original state it was released as, just make it compatible to play on the PS3. The older games would no longer be "old" if they made them with better graphics.
                            So, don't hope for a good looking "old" game on the PS3.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirusblk View Post
                              They're talking about native support. I believe only the highest model has the native support built in. Even if they do drop it you'll still be able to download the PS2 player

Theres no downloadable player or emulator downloadable at this time, thats the problem. They removed all compatibility, and even sony's website says so and the parts on the box. If i buy a 40/80/160, i would have no support whatsoever. Another proof is the backwards compatibility game search is limited to 20/60 and CECH01 80gb (the motorstorm/MGS4 bundle).

Currently i'm looking at a refurbished 60 from gamestop.com, but the 350 pricetag is a bit forbidding for a used system.

EDIT: just rechecked thier website, a refurbished 60gb is going for 429 +tax. thats 30 dollars more than a new 80gb.
                              Last edited by Bisclaveret; 11-20-2008, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X