NFS: Shift

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFS: Shift

A buddy just let me borrow this for a couple weeks. Does anyone else have it? It doesn't appear anyone on my friends list from TG is online w/ this one, but it is a lot of fun. Definitely at least worth a rent if you enjoy racing games. This is a much more "grown up" NFS title than any I've seen since Porsche Unleashed.
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Re: NFS: Shift

I'm still playing this after picking up a used copy, and I'm on track to Platinum it. To add to my initial reflections, it really combines racing with an RPG mechanic that awards you points, stars, and rewards (new cars, events, garage spaces, etc) for competing in events.

You earn points by performing maneuvers like overtaking, running "clean" sections of the course, drafting, trading paint, etc... and the thing that's unique about it is that you get to keep all the points you earn even if you lose the race. So you still progress your profile even if you aren't winning, making those lost races seem like much less of a waste of time than any other game I've ever played. Points are separated between Precision and Aggression, and your level indicator will change based on your driving. Your rewarded for both styles, but Precision points seem to be the easiest to earn. There's a progression of levels, similar to an RPG, with 50 being the cap.

You're also awarded stars, usually 5-6 per race, for finishing on the podium and for performing certain actions like beating a lap time or driving on 75% of the race line over the course of the race. Stars allow you to open new events.

I've maxed out my level and done most of the single player events now, and now I'm doing a lot of racing online. I'm only two trophies away from my platinum trophy for this one, that's how addictive it's become. And that's mostly through regular play, no trophy whoring.

If you have any interest in semi-sim racing games you should really give this a look. It runs perfectly and looks amazing on PS3.

Comment

If you like this I have to highly recommend DiRT/DiRT 2 as they're both great semi-sim racers though they're all rally and such. Only problem with DiRT 2 is it can get a bit boring once you get pretty good at it, while with DiRT there was endless play to be had with going time trials over and over again.

Comment

That's also on my list. I liked the Dirt 2 demo.

I was extremely disappointed with the GT5 demo, but Shift is so fun I don't care. Mod Nation Racers is coming out soon too, though that's obviously not a sim of any sort. Still looks like a good racer though.

Comment

It's worth noting the GT5 demo had the realism setting forced to Professional so it's not what your average person plays GT on. Full version should be a lot less difficult normally, though I kinda liked the difficulty albeit it was really annoying at first.

Comment

I understand but the feel and the sense of speed you get from Shift makes GT5 feel like a visit to the dentist.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X