No announcement yet.

MAG beta - Post Here if you're Playing!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAG beta - Post Here if you're Playing!

I haven't downloaded and I probably won't unless I free up some time, but this topic is for everyone who is playing/wants to play the beta with some TG flavour.

Post up here with your PSN ID and posting the times that you play could be useful too.
    Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Re: MAG beta - Post Here if you're Playing!

My PSN is Odyani, and usually I can play between 12 and 2AM CST, sometimes in the afternoon as well but that's more sporatic.

This game definately needs more TG in it, otherwise it's total chaos.

Comment

PSN ID is Delta_Five_Nine, playing between 5:00 and 11:00 PM EST. Can't communicate but can listen to coms.

EDIT : And I'm in Valor.
      Last edited by Delta Five Nine; 01-06-2010, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SharinganTH1422 View Post
        Update: Beta closes Jan. 10th (this Sunday off the top of my head, but don't quote me on it) so if you want to check it out, I suggest you do so ASAP.
        Just passing this on to this thread, just in case anyone's not reading the other MAG topic in the forum.

Downloaded it today but didn't play, will be on probably the next couple of days while the beta is still open in the evenings for 1, possibly 2 hours, GMT (EST+5 for reference).

PSN: Sharaptor.

Comment

EmperorMustard is my PSN

Will be playing later this evening and then sporadically until the end of the BETA. Will definately get this game. Has had some bad feedback but I love it. Sadly every new FPS is being compared to COD when this game is totally different. Domination mode is great, if not slightly manic.

I'm in SVER, not got a mic sadly :(
          |TG-Irr| EmperorMustard

Contrary to popular belief, I am not actually an Emperor, or a Condiment.

Men should either be treated generously or destroyed, because they take revenge for slight injures - for heavy ones they cannot. - Niccolo Machiavelli

Comment

Probably not going to get this. Honestly there's just not enough there for me to warrant the $60 price. Everything feels so standard shooter it's almost like it's a free to play to me.

Comment

Just finished playing a while ago and I really enjoyed this.

Pros:

In terms of the core ideas and concepts, pretty much everything I wanted. The game is hugely objective based, and when I looked on the map no-one was out doing their own thing, everyone was either nearby the objective or flanking it. On my second or third round there were a couple of dudes in the squad using comms and one of them was the SL and everyone was following his orders completely. Sent him a couple of messages and he added me so we could play a few more games. This gives you a feeling for the maturity of the crowd that was playing, since the run-n-gun players were probably on MW2 at the time.

Having three, competing, persistent factions is an awesome idea, since you constantly look at your army's position in the rankings and feel a sense of pride when yours is at the top, and feel like playing another game if your faction is losing, to try and get them above the other PMCs.

S.V.E.R. is awesome. Running around in a hoody and hockey mask shooting down soldiers with futuristic gear is pure win. The initial spawn at the beginning of the game where there's a massive crowd of these hooligans is awesome, and dropping down from a plane as a bunch of reinforcements (it's a way of spawning, no you don't get to fly a jet) are is just one other great moment in the game.

The equipment that can be unlocked have great potential for some really strategic selections of loadouts within a squad. E.g. Medic kit/defib, repair kit, IDS tracking movement, IDS tracking gunshots, Jamming these sensors for yourself and teammates nearby, poison gas grenade...and all of these are just specific to SVER.

Customisation - It's minimal, but everyone loves customising their characters.

Good tutorial.

Lots of channels for comms (different layers of communication).

No lag, although I only played a 64-player game mode (and there were Americans on the server too)

Other crap I can't remember

Cons:

Lack of polish for the basic stuff, e.g. Graphics are almost Doom-like (understandable though when you have massive maps with so many players). Shooting is fine, but just doesn't quite feel/look/sound right. Animations are bad too.

Summary:

The game, quite simply, feels like a battlefield game in spirit, but I'm slightly worried that it's getting released later this month and the game feels so unpolished (this is the first beta I've ever played, so I don't know how much of a difference there could be in this time). I think the graphics are understandable, but the gameplay (mainly shooting) doesn't seems to be up to the standard of other games it's competing with. If the game does not improve these I fear that many people may not buy it. Reading on some gaming forums here and there a lot of people have cancelled pre-orders as they didn't like the beta. Either this is a good thing, since these guys were hoping for a CoD with 256 players crammed into a tiny space, or I'm missing something and this is somehow a horrible game.

Has bags of potential, they just need to kidnap some of the IW guys to polish the game into a little gem.

Originally posted by LT. Razgriz View Post
              Probably not going to get this. Honestly there's just not enough there for me to warrant the $60 price. Everything feels so standard shooter it's almost like it's a free to play to me.
              I've read this on a lot of other gaming forums when talking about the MAG Beta and I really don't get it. I think this stems from the mix of bad graphics and weird, unsatisfying shooting that the game evokes memories of age-old shooters that we played to death. Plus the scale can't be properly felt at first since you can only play 64-player games at the lower levels. In terms of the depth, scale and scope of this game, I think the only thing that might come close is BF:BC2 (which I need to try), but this definitely requires teamwork to maximise its potential, unlike MW2 which was optimised for run-and-gun.

Comment

Basically, it feels very unpolished like a free to play FPS for me.
                Customization is at levels so small that imo it's near pointless and adds zero to the game.

Upgrades seem to just (in general) be "this rifle is lower recoil lower damage higher rof" and "this rifle is higher recoil higher damage lower rof" (I.E. just picking wether you like a SCAR-L or SCAR-H, not much depth) or "you get to do something you couldn't before that's a fairly basic idea" (I.E. healing, reviving etc).

Graphics, animations, effects etc are all fairly basic, and while it's obvious this is partially needed for such large player counts the large player counts don't appeal to me so it's null for me.

Different layers of communication are great when they're actually used but how many even have headsets, much less would actually try to work as a team in a worthwhile way? A sort of great for TG/SimHQ etc types but doesn't really effect most games with your average gamers.

Fun factor is a meh for me because it's such a basic shooter that I've played similar things so many times before it's not appealing there, and not being like CoD where I can basically turn off my brain and still do fairly well. (don't see how people who die more than kill can even stand to play CoD or anything like it. it's just not that much fun.)

Teamplay is very very lacking IMO in the gamemode in the beta. (which, I would imagine a open beta so close to release being at least partially for publicity, that they should have chosen a more representative gamemode if it's not representative of the full game) Teamwork seems boiled down to running at the objective and killing (and occasionally pressing O for a few seconds) so it's not even at pub BF2 servers imo.

In the end for me it basically boils down to being so unpolished that there's little appeal to the basic part of it and nothing else to make it worthwhile other than player count (which I honestly do not care about in the least. I predict all 256 players means is 256 disorganized people running around killing in even more chaos than normal.)

Cool as 256 teamplaying players on a large map would be I don't think you can get 256 people : willing to cooperate ; having PS3s; having mics ; having the game ; being on at the same time ; in the same game.

Comment

Totally agree. Feels completely generic after playing the Bad Company 2 beta. I'll certainly be picking up BC2 on PS3, but MAG gets a pass. It's the video game equivalent of a lukewarm cup of oatmeal.
                  "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Cool as 256 teamplaying players on a large map would be I don't think you can get 256 people : willing to cooperate ; having PS3s; having mics ; having the game ; being on at the same time ; in the same game.
                    This is my biggest issue. I was having fun while in a squad with a couple people using comms, but other than that, you're right, it wasn't anything ground-breaking. The most disappointing thing though is that the people who released the beta in its current state are obviously idiots, since it doesn't give you the that "wow" feeling when you start playing, like a new game should. Why? Only a few guns, basic equipment, low-quality production value (graphics, sound effects, animation), as well as the biggest thing about this game (256 players) not being available when you start playing. However if you look at some of the later equipment that's available as you progress (as well as the all the player upgrades, unlockable weapons and weapon modifications), I think there's possibility for a lot of depth, but only if you can find a group of players to play with on a consistent basis. I doubt this will be found at TG though, since there are only a handful of PS3 players here.

The low quality production value is also a problem, the shooting mechanics probably need a big overhaul in a very short space of time. It just feels like you're playing a game that was released 5 or 6 years ago, which is weird because I never thought I'd avoid a game with substance because of bad production values.

Only reason I wouldn't consider getting BF:BC2 for PS3 is because I'll probably be getting for PC and it fits the platform better. Don't see why I'd play ever play it for PS3 when I could play on TG with a PC.

P.S. If you think the character customisation is no good at all, it's probably because you didn't join S.V.E.R.

Comment

Originally posted by SharinganTH1422 View Post
                      It just feels like you're playing a game that was released 5 or 6 years ago, which is weird because I never thought I'd avoid a game with substance because of bad production values.
                      I've always believed those things are one in the same, and this game (unfortunately) really shows that.

Only reason I wouldn't consider getting BF:BC2 for PS3 is because I'll probably be getting for PC and it fits the platform better. Don't see why I'd play ever play it for PS3 when I could play on TG with a PC.
                      Absolutely. The only reason I'm getting BC2 on PS3 is because my PC is a junkheap. I'll get it on PC after I build a new rig though. FPS games on consoles are just awkward after spending years playing them on PC.
                      "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                      He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

I find the game alot of fun, please send me an invite if anyone here is playing. I think it has potintial and is alot better then mw2 and the other fps on the ps3 or xbox. I like how the guns feel and like the skill progression.

I hope some tgers pick it up.

psn = bananajuice71

x-fire = bananajuice

Comment

I played this again this afternoon and absolutely still love it more than ever, it really gets better with time. Unfortunately today is the last day of the beta and I won't be playing today, and I won't be buying any new games till June (exams coming up in May/June and I need to start preparing early as opposed to getting distracted) but if you're still playing at that time then I'll give you an add ;).

Comment

i havent played yet but just from the looks of it and from talking to people who have played i thinks its gonna be awesome, I'm going to join Valor on release, Josh_54321, add me
                            Arma name: Cueball, -19D-Cueball, or L.Cpl. Vowels
                            PR name: Sleeper68, Cu3b4ll
                            2142:sleeper68

Comment

had some great times playing the open beta. They really pulled the 256 players off and it works pretty well! Will definantly be looking forward to the full release.

I had about 6 regulars i was playing with and had some great times, Having a mic always always always makes the game 10000 times better!
                              PR ingame name - |TG-Irr| SilverJohn

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X