Wii - first impressions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wii - first impressions?

I'm still on the fence about the Wii... not sure if the motion control is gimicky and will loose it's appeal over time or not. I've got the PC and PS2 (GuitarHero2 ATM) fighting for my/our gaming time... otherwise I'd just grab it for sure...

soooo... If you managed to get one, what do you think of it?

How is the lag between controller movement and what you see on the screen?

What games did you get and how fun are they (compared to how they'd be with a "standard" console controller?

Had any non-gamers try it yet?

Re: Wii - first impressions?

I haven't played too much yet. Just a quick run through through Wii Sports, and I've gotten past the first dungeon in Zelda. I haven't noticed too much lag. If you pay close attention, you can make it out, but in the normal course of gameplay I didn't notice anything at all.

Cons so far: the Wiimic on the Wiimote is sudden, low quality, and loud, without any apparent way to make it quieter beyond muffling. Sometimes it adds a nice touch, but there are some really annoying things that Zelda has done with it.

Also, the sensor seems to be off. You don't point at your screen. You point at a little sensor that you place on top or bottom of the T.V.. It hasn't been too much of a problem, and during gameplay you quickly self-calibrate to where you might as well be pointing at the screen, but it is awkward having to keep my wrist elevated so much.

I've also had a minor problem with synchronization, but I was too tired to try and actually do something about it.

Pros so far: It's very pleasant. Navigating the Wii menu is actually a pleasant experiance. The controller itself is lightweight and fits very nicely in the hands. Playing Zelda, my arms were in relaxed position.

The controller wasn't so sensitive that Link was whipping out his sword every time I adjusted my hand. It seems to respond only to deliberate motions.

Overall for Zelda, while the new controls definately take some getting used to, they're actually turning out quite nice. I have yet to make any mistakes that were the result of bad controls. Also, while I've heard alot of talk about repetitive gameplay, there are a great number of little details that I've never seen in a Zelda game before that are making the entire experiance MUCH more pleasurable, and there are some genuinely new gameplay mechanics that seem to just mesh so naturally that I can hardly believe they weren't around before.

Comment

I think it's a truly awesome piece of equipment. Really, it's the perfect console for avid PC-gamers. To me, it makes NO sense spending upwards of about $800 for a 360/PS3 when 'puters are really where it's at for me and in reality where the best hardware/software tech. manifests first.

Wii offers such a tight, different mix of things to do that you dont feel redundant by getting one at all. When I ever play your "normal" consoles, I just keep asking myself "Why the hell am I wasting my time on this thing when I could be playing 2142, WoW, etc. on PC"?

I got 2 controllers, zelda, madden, and red steel. Ive been through the sports bundle and madden basically. The sports bundle is just priceless - take it to a party and be the life of it. People were fighting to try it out. Really, the system is almost worth it just for this one piece of software. (i didnt even open the games I BOUGHT till the end of the day).

As for Madden, I've just been playing 2v2 with my brother and it's a heck of a lot of fun. The level of interactivity is really neat... but not just that... it's actually a CHALLENGE. Definitely adds another lvl to gaming that everyone will appreciate.

As for the system itself, it's super tight and bug free (to me). The UIs are very creative and very soothing. U can sit there all day and not even play a game. The lvl of control of the remotes is basically as sensitive as u want it (fully adjustable). My Wiimote was actually picking up my hand SHAKING from drinking too much caffeine - this is how exact it is.

What more can u ask for really?? U can play ALL your old games from back in the day (turbo grafix 16, nes, snes, nes64, etc.), download updates and games/content on the fly, u get a really good bundled game, internet browsing, messaging, weather, news, photos, the thing is the ONLY console to be able to provide a true 16:9 display, u have all the choices in the world of how you want to play whatever game you want (ur not locked into the wiimote at all, u can play with regular controller), and of course you have a dramatic new way to play new and old games.

There's a REASON why this console was E3's best. And for $250 (less then the starting price of a PS2 or Xbox back in the day, even MORE less if u consider inflation)... u cant beat it really (plus I got a $20 Target gift card when i purchased 3 games). There's really no reason not to have one. And everyone that's seen mine immediately wants one... this has never happened with other consoles. If you're a true gamer, then u must have a Wii. Pass on everything else and just stick with computer tech.

Comment

LOL Damn!
        Dizlor

Comment

Originally posted by Gambit7 View Post
          There's really no reason not to have one. And everyone that's seen mine immediately wants one...
          Everyone who has seen your Wii wants one?

Sorry couldn't help it, the system name was so much better as the Revolution, the Wii just is a joke waiting to happen :).

I still want one though cause it looks like fun :).
          Sajaman/|TG-Irr|Sajier - WoW Resto Shaman, BF2/BF2142 Assault/Medic

| | |

Comment

You guys have broken me. I'm getting one of these things for sure now. It's for the kids!
            Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

game reviews are pretty underwhelming:

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews.html...subnav;reviews

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                game reviews are pretty underwhelming:
                Careful there... those are games from 10+ years ago being reviewed by today's standards. I would be surprised if they scored well in the sound and gfx categories.

Go here: http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrank...fault_wii/1031

In fact, never stray from gamerankings if you value the power of multiple opinions! :)

Comment

Originally posted by icky View Post
                  Careful there... those are games from 10+ years ago being reviewed by today's standards. I would be surprised if they scored well in the sound and gfx categories.

Go here: http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrank...fault_wii/1031

In fact, never stray from gamerankings if you value the power of multiple opinions! :)
                  some are, but not all... zelda, madden07, excitetruck, and some of the other spotlight release games are there too...

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                    some are, but not all... zelda, madden07, excitetruck, and some of the other spotlight release games are there too...
                    The point is that if you focus on the REAL releases, the reviews aren't bad at all. People certainly shouldn't expect ports of "normal" games to be as good or better on this system when compared to the others. It's all about the Nintendo bread-and-butter games. If I can get 4 drunks in a room swinging those controllers around playing Super Smash Bros, it will be worth a whole lot more to me than anything else a console could do. :D

Edit: It will support 4-player, right?

Comment

Originally posted by icky View Post
                      If I can get 4 drunks in a room swinging those controllers around playing Super Smash Bros, it will be worth a whole lot more to me than anything else a console could do. :D

Edit: It will support 4-player, right?
                      good point!

and yes, it handles 4p.

Comment

I'm seeing alot of people using their kids as an excuse to get one. I see stuff like the nintendo wii as the future of gaming. The wiimote increases our capability to interact and creates a more immerse gaming environment. The Wii doesn't just have kids games. So stop using the excuse. Stand pround and go buy find a wii.

Comment

I live in a College dormatory, and eight people have bought Wii's, and I've seen about three different games, and more controllers than I could bother to count. I've seen all of its capabilities, and I must say, moving the controllers around, in a group setting, is possibly the most fun thing I've ever done on a console. :)

Comment

Too much Wii is bad for your health.

click here for details:
                            http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...fox+ad&pl=true

I just like watching this, and so should you.

Works Citation:

the link was first posted by millipede777 on the random Google Video picks. Post numba 22
                            Last edited by Rick_the_new_guy; 11-20-2006, 11:17 PM.
                            (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
                            (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
                            (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
                            Squad Leader pledge to their team:
                            Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Fantastic News (tm):

I just figured out how to lower the volume on the wiimote (when you press the home button, there's a bar at the bottom of the screen called something like "wiimote options"). I actually like it now that the volume is set to 1, though if someone is trying to sleep turning it to zero doesn't detract from the experiance.

Anyway, I'm almost through dungeon two. I've got the weapon and the key.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X