Nintendo DS Lite

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nintendo DS Lite

Does anyone have one of these? I got a gift card to Best Buy for Xmas, and my GF and I were thinking of using it to get a DS Lite since we both like Brain Age (we always play it on the store's demo model).

What sorts of decent games are out there for it? Any must-have accessories or anything?

I think it may be a while before we actually get one, since the 3 Best Buy stores in my city are perpetually out of them. But I'd like to hear some feedback from real people before I buy.
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Re: Nintendo DS Lite

I have an original DS and I love it. I also have a PSP and love that, too.
    I've played the Lite on demo too and it's more hand-friendly and has a much brighter screen. As far as accessories go, none really needed, maybe a car adaptor if you plan on traveling with it.

Must have games, um, Mario Kart, Metroid Prime Hunters (for me), WarioWare, it's got a new Final Fantasy (not really new but new for handheld) and Tetris DS is a must. I also really enjoy Advance Wars for it.

They should be showing up in store soon I guess.
    "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
    -- Red Forman

Comment

ELITE BEAT AGENTS!!!!

- It's a fun music/rhythm game that has an insanely hilarious story component. There are video commentary snippets about in on GameSpot from their games of the year section. Elite Beat won best Rhythm game and best DS game, so you can view more about it's awesomeness there.

Phoenix Wright: Justice For All

- This will be the second Phoenix Wright game localized for America and is a darn good game, too. You play a defense attorney who has to collect evidence and uncover the lies in witness testimony in court to prove your client innocent. From what I understand, there is now a component of the game where you must break through a witness' psychological barrier to get them to tell the truth. Loved the first Phoenix Wright and am pre-ordering this one to get a cool stylus thing.

|TG-Irr| ThePenguineer ::: |TG-Irr| Pengie the Noob
      TG-Irregulars Commanding Officer
      ||

Comment

I know I'm a fan of WarioWare, but after playing Elite Beat Agents briefly I couldn't help but label it as Gimmicky Crap. But that's just my personal view on it, I'm sure many others will enjoy it.

That's my only problem with Nintendo - very few gimmick games interest me for very long and that's the majority of the repetoire.
        "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
        -- Red Forman

Comment

I got a DS for Christmas and only have one game. So I reccomend Castlevania Portrait of Ruin. Castlevania games are the best 2D action games on any systems (the 3D ones do not count).

Comment

Originally posted by Zoopy_T View Post
            I got a DS for Christmas and only have one game. So I reccomend Castlevania Portrait of Ruin. Castlevania games are the best 2D action games on any systems (the 3D ones do not count).
            Agreed. Castlevania is the best in terms of 2D scrolling games! Makes me want to see if I can get my original Nintendo to start the first castlevania.
            Battlefield 2: Battlefield 2142: WoW: Oblivion: NWN2

Comment

I heard that one was good... hmm...
              -- Red Forman

Comment

I have a regular DS and love it, have Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin and they are really great games, I also have mario kart and metroid prime hunters which is really fun. So if your thinking about getting one I would recommend it, I enjoy it alot.

Comment

Sonic Rush, SD Gundam G Generation DS, Pheonix Wright, Wario Ware, The New Super Mario Brothers, Castlevania DOS, Castlevania POS, Viewtiful Joe, Star Fox Command, Metroid Prime Hunters, Star Wars Episode 3, and Jump Ultimate Super Stars.

SD Gundam and Jump are import only but get them anyway.
                  RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                  TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                  7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                  "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                  "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Mario Kart is as fun as it was on the 64.

Advanced Wars is and always has been a great little series

Metroid is fun, however I have a real difficult time with the DS Controls with this game specifically (Old School DS, not the Lite version)

Buy two so you and your GF can play together =)
                    RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Does anyone know if there's a way to hook the DS up to a TV monitor?

Comment

I have both DS castlevania games, and they're fun. I've spent alot of time playing Elite Beat Agents, great fun to be had there. Advanced Wars : DS is a fun Turn Based Strat. New Super Mario Bros is fun, enjoyed playing its multiplayer with my brother.

Chewy: i was paraphrasomg
                        [19:01] Chewy: KAMER |
                        [19:01] Chewy: i love you | Drake_Anra : I only have a problem when Kamer talks... /// Chewy : That's very much a universal problem, Drake. :D

Comment

Most of the games I like are the puzzle and adventure games. I recommend the following:

Elite Beat Agents - I thought it would be a dumb game but it's really fun. Let yourself be pulled in to the cheesy stories and laugh at the characters dancing to the beat. Check the song list but they range from Ashley Simpson to Avril Lavigne to Rolling Stones to David Bowie to Jamiroquai.

Phoenix Wright - You might be able to pick up Justice For All by the time you get a DS but there's also the first part, Ace Attorney, that might still be on the shelves. It's a head scratcher but the story is really good. It should give you about 25-30 hours of fun, averaging about 5-6 hours per case. It could be longer if you have trouble picking at a witness' testimony.

Magnetica - I can only describe it as balls in a water slide. It's a top down view and you match up three balls of the same colour by launching balls at the slide. Kind of like Bust-A-Move with a magnetic twist where same coloured balls attract each other. It's got a free form mode, levels, and puzzles.

Tetris DS - It sounds like it's all this money for regular Tetris but there are several new game modes. Catch mode has falling bricks that you make stick to one little tetris block. It's regular tetris in 2 dimensions (make a 16x16 square to eliminate blocks) and you can't move or rotate the falling bricks. Push mode is regular tetris but against an opponent that you push down so that he has less and less building room. There's WiFi online that's really fun. There are puzzle modes too and a new Touch tetris mode where you use the stylus. Touch tetris is slower and is a change from regular tetris.

Polarium - It might still be in stores for cheap. Another puzzle game where you clear lines like Tetris. Only you don't get falling bricks, you get to turn the colour of bricks (change polarity) to clear a line. It's got a free form mode that's like classic Tetris.

Magical Starsign - I haven't tried that many RPG's or put that much time into them but this one is pretty good. It's like the Final Fantasy games (haven't played FFIII DS though) where it's turn based fighting. It's all magic except for the occasional physical attack when you run low on MP. There are things called spell strikes where you tap your character at a certain point in a spell to get attack/defend bonuses. Heavily oriented on the stylus.

Metroid Prime Hunters - Picked this up when I got my DS. It's got a lot of action and a 3D Metroid is pretty cool. Aiming with the stylus is very natural. The only part I don't like is shooting. After some boss battles, my hand is all cramped up.

You might want to buy an extendable stylus. I want one just because the stock stylus could be bigger. There are extendable ones that still fit in the stylus holder. Get a case if you don't want fingerprints.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I got my wife a pink DS lite for Christmas and she loves it! She keeps it in her purse and plays it everywhere, like waiting in line at the bank's drive-thru. She loves Big Brain Academy and Brain Age. I played this Mario Vs Donkey Kong game at the store the other day and it seemed really fun. It's like a puzzle game that reminded me a bit of Lost Vikings. Either way the DS is definately a worthy purchase.
                            "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Best Buy just got a shipment, so I'm off to get one. :D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X