Virtual console

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual console

Anyone else getting some serious nostalgia from the VC games? I know it's basically paying top dollar for a ROM, but some of these games are classics and it just feels better to play on a console rather than emulated on a PC. I've been playing Gunstar Heroes non-stop since I downloaded it. Easily the best side-scrolling shooter of all time, and a total throwback to my elementary school days of playing Sega Genesis until my eyes bled. I really need to get my hands on a Classic Controller in order to make the experience complete.

Re: Virtual console

Pick up a wavebird instead; it'll work just as well, and you'll be able to play gamecube games if you get the hankerin' as well.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I don't own a Wii, but I highly recommend the games Alien Crush and Dungeon Explorer for the virtual console. Back in the day, I played them both a great deal on my trusty TurboGrafx-16.
      Steam Community: | |

Comment

Nostalgia or not, I don't feel like paying for games I already paid $30-50 for years ago. If they were free, I'd probably download them as a small diversion, but I've got other games I paid top dollar for that need some mileage first.

It's hard to explain: if I'm going to buy it again, then I'd feel obligated to myself to actually do something with it besides load it up every once in a blue moon. Otherwise, why wouldn't I just play the Wii or 360 games I paid $50-60 for?

Comment

I think the price is excessive on those VC games, but I agree that it is more fun to play those games on a tv than elsewhere. Fortunately, I have another solution for that, so VC is redundant.
          Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface View Post
            Pick up a wavebird instead; it'll work just as well, and you'll be able to play gamecube games if you get the hankerin' as well.
            Quoted for truth. I picked up a couple of classic controllers thinking that with the wiimotes and nunchuks, I'd be able to play everything available for the Wii. I was wrong. The classic controllers are ONLY useful for N64 games, not Gamecube games or SNES or NES games. Gamecube controllers, however, can play Gamecube, N64 and SNES games, while NES games can be played with just your wiimote. Unless they update something, the classic controllers are next to useless, IMO.

Oh, and I really like the virtual console. I've put in a few hours on Super Mario Bros (which I hadn't played in years) and Mario64 (which I had NEVER played) since I've gotten the Wii. I had also never played Sonic the Hedgehog or Ecco the Dolphin until I got the Wii, either.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

mario 64....ah how i remember playing the demo in toys r us drooling over the fact that id be playing it by christmas..those were the days...

Comment

I have four Gamecube controllers, but I've heard bad things about the control setup on some of the Super Nintendo games (like Super Mario World) with the GC controllers.

Oh, and for me it's not just loading up once in a blue moon, I'm a pretty hardcore classic gamer - playing Gunstar Heroes again is one of the big things that motivated me to pick up a Wii, as did the promise that we'll eventually get Super Metroid. I love old school action games.

Comment

I don't have a Wii, but word is Nintendo will release Zelda: Ocinara of Time on the VC today for $10 bucks. I never got to beating it, but I played it most of the way through and can say this game is definitely worth $10 dollars. It's extremely fun.
                  "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

I'm about 3/4 of the way through OoT on my N64 now.
                    Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Streets of Rage!!

It's the only one I've picked up so far. I'm going to save the rest of the points for Splatterhouse (when it comes out) and maybe Golden Axe. I didn't like the VC idea at first but I immediately saw the potential. It's an easy way for companies to make extra money on old games. It's an easy way for gamers to relive old times or experience unplayed games from a favourite franchise.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Will it be out of the question for them to release Goldeneye? Because I heard that rare sold those rights to EA right before rare was bought by MS.

Comment

It's definitely up to whoever owns the rights to the game/franchise. It would be good to release it within the console's first year when there aren't many games around.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Goldeneye is the hell of legal issues. Just stop thinking about it for now and let the lawyers do the paperwork.
                            -Zephyr
                            You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
                            We are not a single game.
                            We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
                            We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

In the meantime....

http://www.goldeneyesource.com/
                              "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                              He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X