No announcement yet.

Baten Kaitos/Baten Kaitos Origins

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baten Kaitos/Baten Kaitos Origins

Well, I finally finished Baten Kaitos Origins, and I'm thrilled to have packed away that 50+ hour beast. I consider it one of the greatest RPGs released in recent years, although the battle system is not for everyone. Unfortunately, it arrived near the end of the Gamecube's lifespan, and the hype surrounding the Wii rapidly eclipsed it.

Fortunately, the Wii is backwards-compatible with the Cube, so anyone looking for wonderful, lengthy RPGs of unorthodox design (while waiting for the library of the Wii to expand, of course) should invest in copies of both titles. I started the original game (late 2004) unsure of what I would encounter in terms of gameplay, and I fell in love. The prequel (released late 2006) improves on all aspects of the original, including an even more beautiful musical score, revamped visuals, and a thoroughly revised and streamlined battle system.

Good stuff people, good stuff. It's a shame that so few people have been exposed to this great series...

EDIT: I'd also like to add that these games are hard. I genuinely felt overjoyed after finally defeating some of the more unforgiving bosses in the game. For RPG fans looking for a challenge, Baten Kaitos and BK Origins deliver. It seems that FF7 inaugurated the era of easy J-RPGs, and difficult games (read: difficult, not unfair) have been rather elusive.
    Last edited by Aspie; 05-05-2007, 08:10 AM.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed