Need For Speed Carbon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need For Speed Carbon

Just picked this up yesterday. Fun game. The Wiimote acts like a "steering wheel" when held horizontally which makes the gameplay very intense and often time grueling as you try to cut hairpin turns at a moments notice.

Along with the endless customizable options you have for the cars you win, you also get a neat new feature called autosculpt. This allows you to make custom body parts for your car that you've designed yourself which opens customization, on the visual side, to endless possibilities.

Also introduced in this game (at least I don't remember seeing this feature in previous NFS games) is the wingman. You get to hire crewmen to race with you. You can only bring one to a race I believe, but they're definitely valuable. Each crewman has his own unique traits an abilities. Some act as blockers, knocking your opposition out of the way. Some act as scouts, speeding ahead and informing you of shortcuts or obstacles in your path. It's really pretty neat.

The game is based around the idea of "turf wars" where you race different gangs for control of turf throughout the city. I conquered a neighborhood last night which opened up a Boss Event.

These Boss Events are really hard. Probably the only frustrating thing I've discovered in this game. You first have to race the Boss through the city and if you win, you move on to a canyon race. The canyon races come in two parts. The first part involves you following behind the boss as close as you can without losing him. The closer you stay behind him, the more points you earn. If you manage to survive and not fly off the course and down a cliff to your demise, then you move on to the third part of the Boss race. In this third part the roles change and the Boss is now following you and your goal is to keep as much distance between you and him as possible. If you make it to the end, whoever scored more points wins. If at any point you crash or fly off the road, the race is over and you start back at phase 2 of the event.

This is where it gets frustrating.

After what seemed like a hundred attempts at phase two, I finally made it to phase three only to have the Boss zip right by me. Once he reached a certain distance ahead of me, the race ended because I lost him. This sent me right back to phase 2 where I immediately felt the urge to throw my controller across the room...I did resist, however. I'm going to give it another shot here soon, I might just race some punks on the free roam feature that allows you to cruise the city and just look for trouble. Either with cops or other gang members. I need to build up more money for better parts as it is.

Frustrating moments aside, this game is extremely fun and if you're looking for a good arcade style racing game with some flavor for the Wii...this is it.
    Last edited by CingularDuality; 08-13-2007, 11:57 AM.
    | | |

Re: Need For Speed Carbon

You hold the wiimote vertically? I have Excite Truck and I like it a lot, but you hold the wiimote horizontally and the controls are excellent. I figured most Wii racing games would use a similar method of control.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
      You hold the wiimote vertically? I have Excite Truck and I like it a lot, but you hold the wiimote horizontally and the controls are excellent. I figured most Wii racing games would use a similar method of control.
      Good catch. I meant horizontally. Woops!

EDIT: If a moderator could please correct that for clarity that would be awesome.
      | | |

Comment

I think you thought vertically because the buttons are facing towards you and not to the ceiling. Isn't Excite Truck buttons up and Need for Speed buttons to yourself?

- It's who you game with.

Comment

In NFS the buttons are to the ceiling. I don't know what I was thinking when I typed "vertically."
          | | |

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
            Excite truck rocks! me and the kids can play that for hours on end.

Comment

Originally posted by JMJ View Post
              Excite truck rocks! me and the kids can play that for hours on end.
              Indeed!

I just wish I had more time to play any of the games we have...
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X