The Nintendo Wii and imports.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Nintendo Wii and imports.

I just received a PM from Turbo and I am going to post my reply to him. If possible can an admin sticky this. It's pretty important. (I think atleast)

It is very unfortunate but the Wii has region lock. Which is just so sad. This means we have to wait until someone makes a mod chip or a boot loader to get Japanese or EU games to work on US Wii consoles. Basically you can buy the game and wait for a mod chip or boot loader to be released or you can just buy a Japanese Wii. You can buy a Japanese Wii online or at import stores. The only import stores I know of are in Chinatown NY.

I am going to buy a Japanese Wii for it and what ever other anime games the Wii gets. I am expecting console Visual Novel releases to transfer to the Wii so I can get the Wii for that. Also there is a Suzumiya Haruhi game coming out for the Wii that I can use a Japanese Wii for. Of course all this has to wait on me learning Japanese.

If I am in luck I might visit Japan at some point during this year and I can pick one up. (Among other things.)

It's really a shame since the DS has no region lock and I love importing DS games. God Nintendo WHY.
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Re: The Nintendo Wii and imports.

There are already mod chips to bypass region locks. Check out OpenWii, WiiKey, CycloWiz, and Wiinja. These chips have been around for months. There has also been Freeloader (boot loader) to bypass region locks. Although, I'm not sure if the latest update has disabled Freeloader.

If you do have the extra cash, it might be best to buy a second Wii. While the mod chips work, you have to be careful that it doesn't update your Wii with the wrong region's update or end up with the newer Wii's with mod chip countermeasures (made it harder to solder the mod chip).

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Last I heard the freeloader is down but it only worked on gamecube games.
      RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
      7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
      "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti

[tg-c1]

Comment

I so want to get a few games that have only been released in Japan but I guess that isn't going to happen anytime soon. Hopefully they will release the games I am looking at here at some point in time.

Thanks for the info GM.

Comment

FYI:

ICE and Electronic Industry Team Up Against Gaming Piracy

32 search warrants executed in nationwide intellectual property rights investigation

ICE is working with the electronic industry to stop the sale and distribution of game system modification chips and copyright circumvention devices. In the largest national enforcement action of its kind targeting this type of illegal activity, ICE agents from 22 offices, assisted by representatives of the electronic industry, executed 32 federal search warrants in 16 states this month as part of an investigation into the alleged sale and distribution of these devices.

The search warrants were executed at businesses, storefronts, and residences located in California, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, and Wisconsin. The targeted locations were associated with subjects who are allegedly involved in the direct importation, installation, sale, and distribution of the devices that are of foreign manufacture and smuggled into the United States. The modification chips and circumvention devices allow users to play illegally obtained, pirated, and/or counterfeit software on video game consoles including Sony's Playstation 2®, Microsoft's XBOX® and XBOX 360™, and Nintendo's Wii ™.

"Illicit devices like the ones targeted … are created with one purpose in mind, subverting copyright protections," said ICE Assistant Secretary Julie Myers. "These crimes cost legitimate businesses billions of dollars annually and facilitate multiple other layers of criminality, such as smuggling, software piracy, and money laundering."

More information is available at: http://www.ice.gov/pi/news/newsrelea...washington.htm.
          Let's put discussion of mod chips and "copyright circumvention devices" in the same category as software piracy here at TacticalGamer, OK? I'd hate to see anyone here end up with a federal case because of a forums discussion. TacticalGamer does not promote this kind of thing, nor will it be allowed at TG.

Thanks!
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

WOW, I never knew it was illegal to use something like that to play a game from another region. I would never copy a game over, I was just looking for a way to buy games from Japan and play them on a US Wii. My search will stop now. :)

I have never had one but I just never knew. Thanks for pointing that out Cing, I would be to affraid to try it anyway. Take apart my poor Wii, dont think so.

Comment

It's more illegal because they bypass copy protection, allowing mod chip users to use backup copies. I believe the chips themselves aren't illegal (it's common hardware); it's the software on the chip (the use of the hardware that bypasses copy protection) that is illegal.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I think your best bet is to buy a Japanese Wii. It's a popular system in Japan. (Pwning all except for the DS) so I expect there to be plenty of good Japan only games.

I was looking recently and the JP Wii goes for 300 dollars on play-asia.com. I still think I will just wait until I go to Japan. Granted I don't even know if I can find them their. Last I heard it's about as bad as it is here in terms of finding a Wii.

Edit: As a side note I forgot to mention that not only is the DS region free but you can also play import GBA games. I have SD Gundam G Generation Advance. The PSP can even play imports granted you have to be a bit more careful on the PSP. Some of the games aren't region free.
                7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...