No More Heroes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No More Heroes

This was such a hyped up game. This is all about the light saber action you could ever want. You play Travis Touchdown the buys a light saber... erm, I mean beam katana as the game calls it... from an online auction. He kills some assassin and becomes the 11th ranked assassin.

I honestly don't know much more about the storyline because the opening video didn't really explain much. Most of what I know is from reading previews. You're basically an assassin that uses a beam katana to kill other assassins. Somehow it's supposed to lead to fame and fortune and the satisfaction of being #1.

The game play isn't supposed to mimic your own sword movements. You basically hit 'A' to swing your sword and 'B' to punch/kick. So your combo attacks will just be a slew of mashing one of two buttons. You can point the remote up for a high stance and down for a low stance. Either way, the attacks feel the same. It doesn't change the kind of damage. Although, I think it should allow you to attack successfully when the enemy is not in the same stance. Your movement consists of locking on to the enemy with 'Z' and circling with the nunchuk's analog stick. The remote's D-pad will allow you to dodge left, right, and back.

So what do you do as an aspiring assassin? You do jobs of course. There are various jobs to choose such as collecting coconuts, picking up garbage, working at the gas station or mowing grass. I'm not joking about these jobs. These are the menial jobs that have to be done to unlock real assassination jobs. They only have to be completed once to unlock the assassination job and there's a new menial job and assassination job after every ranked battle. So in theory there are 10 as you move up to the #1 rank.

The assassination jobs are straight up kill jobs that last about 2 minutes. You drive GTA style on your motorbike to the job agency to pick your job then over to the actual job location. The job starts and it's usually a small space like a parking lot or inside a building where you battle about 15 enemies. The types of jobs vary from not getting hit to killing as many as possible to killing a particular target. It's rewarding to get the kills and see the gore but it sucks with the don't get hit missions (seemingly the most abundant) where you load for 15 seconds and die in 5 after getting hit once. It's a bit tricky to not get hit when surrounded by 5 enemies.

The don't get hit missions are extremely frustrating and almost impossible to accomplish. It's best to take enemies on one by one but some missions throw 5 at you in a small space. So you're stuck guarding all the time and getting hit when trying to attack. You're vulnerable any time you're not guarding. You have charged attacks that can handle multiple enemies but you wouldn't be protecting yourself while charging the attack. You also lose the charge when hit.

Overall, it's not that great of a game. The gore is excessive, which is cool for about 5 minutes. Then you realize that blood spraying everywhere blocks your vision. Guarding can save you but it doesn't protect against charged attacks. The fighting is very bland. You basically circle enemies, attack, and perform some random finishing move. If you stun an enemy, you can perform a wrestling move, which involves moving the remote and nunchuk in certain directions. It's fun but you're randomly given a move to perform. So essentially all wrestling moves are the same.

I don't see how this game was given such a warm welcome in reviews. It's more like a 5 or 6 out of 10. The fighting is nothing more than proper movement and nothing to do with button combinations. You're just attacking at the moments the enemy is vulnerable, which sometimes feels less often than the times you're vulnerable. You don't really feel like you're using a sword until the finishing move, which is one slash with the remote to perform. The GTA style travelling around to find jobs and go to missions is a horrible waste of time. Sometimes it feels I'm riding the motorbike more often than actually fighting. The story is delivered in a broken manner. It's just a series of cutscenes where the characters seem to talk about random things. There are other minor characters that help you out but you don't really know much about them. I've just grown to hate this game more and more as I progress through it. Stay away.

- It's who you game with.

Re: No More Heroes

I already have it. I love it.

But I am a fan of Suda 51's work. Which reminds me I need to pick up Killer 7 for the NGC so I can play it on my Wii.
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

I rented NMH, it got repetative about halfway through the game. Although, its a good effort from a
      3rd party publisher. I would give it a 6 out of 10.
      XBOX GT: STEALTH C4T

Comment

Originally posted by RGM-79N_GM_CUstom View Post
        I already have it. I love it.

But I am a fan of Suda 51's work. Which reminds me I need to pick up Killer 7 for the NGC so I can play it on my Wii.
        What do you love about it though? Wildcat is right about the game getting repetitive.

Comment

I enjoy the story as odd as that sounds coming from me.

I would have a better list of things to say but I can't play No More Heroes because of my broken knee. I probably would have the game beat by now.
          RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
          7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
          "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti

[tg-c1]

Comment

I am slightly intrigued by the story and must say it's probably the best part of the game. However, the game is quite mediocre with some tedious, repetitive moments.

Comment

I loved this game so much. Yeah, it gets repetitive, but it still manages to stay challenging and fun and over-the-top, and the story really is fantastic. The farther you get through the game, the fewer grunts there are between you and the bossfights, and the bosses themselves are all varied enough to definitely not be repetitive.

I'd recommend playing on Mild difficulty if you've been playing on Sweet, as the fighting becomes a lot less button-mashy and simple-looking when it's a challenge, as you have to start paying attention to where all the various enemies are, and use the dodge and surprise movements in a smart way, and switch up your stance and use beat attacks to beat guarding, and manage how the crowd surrounds you, and where the enemies with guns are, and such. You can also unlock extra moves by collecting the Lovikov balls, which helps spice things up a bit.

IMO, the only real flaw with this game is the free-roam city, which is really bland, and could have been far better implemented.

Comment

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...No-More-Heroes
                7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

I have to agree with Sarc. The story is OK but I don't see myself playing it much now that I have Mario Kart. I'll probably trade it in and pre-order Wii Fit.
                  sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X