Games for your SO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Games for your SO

My fiancee is a non-gamer, and often has difficulty appreciating the absolute importance of things like save points, and why their scarcity requires me to stay up an extra half hour before coming to bed. So imagine my surprise when, after a vsist to a friend's house, she suddenly decided she wanted a Wii. What's more, the acquisition of one would constitute an investment in our relationship, since we could now play games together.

Now, I have no problem with the Wii. It's a snappy little bauble, and on the few occassions when I've had the opportunity to play I've enjoyed it, but it's never been high on my want list. I'm holding out for a PS3 and a new HDTV, myself (they go together - it's an investment in a relationship). Yet here I stand, having slavishly/lovingly purchased a Wii for my SO, with no idea what kind of games exist for it.

So, if there's anyone out there with some suggestions, what's are some good simple family games out there that would be good starters for a non-gamer? You know, gateway drugs. She likes most of the Wii Sports and Wii Play mini-games, but shrinks from anything involving much more complexity or actual control pads.
    In game handle: Steel Scion
    sigpic

Re: Games for your SO

Unfortunately, I don't have any recommendations grounded in personal experience, but I thought I'd chime with a similar story about my wife, who is a non-gamer for the most part (aside from Mario 3 on the emulator or Brain Age on the DS, she doesn't game). She wanted a Wii when it first came out and was intrigued by the control scheme, etc... But after spending an evening playing Wii at a friends house, she was severely let down and has grown to resent it!

Anyway, my friend who owns the Wii we played is a woman, and she seems to LOVE Super Paper Mario and Super Mario Galaxy. I'll ask her what other games she's into. I would have to assume my friend is a bit more of a gamer than your fiancee is, but maybe she'll have some better insight that I.
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Yeah, the Mario games would be a great way to turn a casual gamer into a harder gamer.

As for recommendations for casual gamers:
      Rayman Raving Rabbids
      WarioWare (although sometimes gross)
      Elebits
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Now that I think about it, Zak & Wiki has gotten quite a bit of critical acclaim, at least on the podcasts I listen to. It looks like it has sort of a childish motif, but apparently it makes very good use of the Wii's motion controls and is fairly challenging.
        "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
        He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

If she likes to sing, there is American Idol. I think most girls are into WiiFit, I know my girlfriend wanted it. A lot of the Wii games are geared towards everyone. It's a good system for that too.

Comment

I really enjoyed the Lego Star Wars Complete Saga, though it may be too complicated for your purposes. Is co-op, though.

Comment

Yeah, anything that involves walking around and shooting things is probably out, although I do have Lego Star Wars on other platforms. Elebits sounded like a good deal, although Amazon doesn't have it in stock anymore.

Thanks for the feedback.
              sigpic

Comment

Oh, yeah, I forgot about Boogie! It's a karaoke type of game that's pretty good if you have friends over... If you're singing by yourself, though, you've got issues.
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

My GF plays Wii Fit every day and has actually been losing weight with it too. I think the stat tracking thing has helped keep her motivated. I'm more of a Mario Kart guy myself, although since I lucked into a free CPU/MOBO (AMD but its FREE), I've been playing on the PC a lot more.
                  sigpic

Comment

We picked up Elebits, Super Monkeyball, and Soul Caliber Legends (for me, obviously). They all have their merits, but judging from my better half's reactions, I think she was expecting something a little different from this Wii thing.
                    sigpic

Comment

I would go for Wii Play along with Wario Ware. Both are fairly simple. Trauma Center is a fun game, if you like that sort of thing. And for you, I'd take a look at Resident Evil 4. It works very well on Wii.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X